• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

What do you want to see in a map?

patsfan44

Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Without reading the rest of the thread (evil, I know) I'd like to see more historical fights. Recreation of actual battles/wars throughout history.

This could lead to things like:

Civil war
battle of the bulge
France invasion on Normandy.
Napolean's loss at Waterloo
Leningrad/Stalingrad
trench warfare of WWI

Things along those lines. The maps could be decent, but the stories behind them really sell the maps
+1

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Another one that could be pretty good is Gettysburg. All the different general's positions could be small commands.

BAB00N

Awesome Player
The Borg
The Embassy
Another one that could be pretty good is Gettysburg. All the different general's positions could be small commands.

Without reading the rest of the thread (evil, I know) I'd like to see more historical fights. Recreation of actual battles/wars throughout history.

This could lead to things like:

Civil war
battle of the bulge
France invasion on Normandy.
Napolean's loss at Waterloo
Leningrad/Stalingrad
trench warfare of WWI

Things along those lines. The maps could be decent, but the stories behind them really sell the maps

+1

Mangdui

Awesome Player
Can we design our own maps for submission? If so what format is best and once developed do i need to code it also?

Nessa

Awesome Player
I love the concept of maps based on real world wars. I like Cardinalsrule's Gettysburg idea. That battle was so cool. I would love to see how a map designer handles the terrain features and the tactics used in the fight :)

Mangdui, if you make maps, would you do Gettysburg? That would be so awesome!

Nessa

Red-Mike

Awesome Player
I have always been intrigued by an old map I saw a long time ago in college. We were talking about 'water wars' or something like that and about water shortages. Here is a link to the map ...it is basically what the western US would look like if the states borders were based on watersheds. http://www.aqueousadvisors.com/powellmap.pdf if there was some unique aspect to it that involved water it might work well...something to think about anyway.

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Can we design our own maps for submission? If so what format is best and once developed do i need to code it also?
Hey Mangdui, nice to see folks taking an interest. The basics of our mapmaking process can be found here...
http://www.majorcommand.com/forums/threads/3074-About-the-Map-Studios

The mapmaking team (myself included) have been inactive for a while as other site development concerns have taken priority, but we've not given up entirely and look forward to someday getting back to our old ways.

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
Hello Shepherd! What do you think about Ralf's map in this thread?

jburl

Awesome Player
What about a map where different territories have different inherent troop values therefore making possession of individual territories within, say a continent, more of an objective. I don't know how this would effect continent bonuses, though.

stone123

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
I really want to see another BIG map like classic massive...we dont have enough in my opinion

Like someone mentioned earlier in the post maybe all the major countrys in the world or along them lines and maybe a world war theme

dudeiamgood

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
How about we take an old map and spruce it up a little by picking say 1 region per command and giving a bonus if you have all of them?

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
what about a map, that has no commands, and maybe, *we may think about it, no special features/bonuses, just many regions, and the way to win on it, will depend on the settings, and the amount of regions that we can hold

iLoveBadDiceBANNED

Awesome Player
what about a map, that has no commands, and maybe, *we may think about it, no special features/bonuses, just many regions, and the way to win on it, will depend on the settings, and the amount of regions that we can hold

Smart idea ndrm, I like it.

CaptSweatpants

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
Kickstarter
How do you go about suggesting, collaborating on, designing, play testing a map or specific set of battle parameters? I have been fooling around with a civil war map and some ideas about movement and play and was wondering if there is a group or MajCom process or any specific person to talk to in order to get some support, ideas, suggestions, etc.

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
wow: just post a draft here, and there will be comments. In charge is Shepherd, if you prefer to keep your ideas private. However, unless the community approves of your ideas, they are not going to be pursued ;-)

iLoveBadDiceBANNED

Awesome Player
My Two Cents

Simple question: What kind of map would you like to play on?

This is just a question an answer thread - let's not get wrapped up discussing one map idea, because if an idea is worthy of discussion it deserves its own thread. It's fine to be specific of as general as you like - we just want to know what our users want to play.

I would love to see a REALLY huge map, like a 5,000 piece puzzle ... well ... maybe I'm exaggerating a little ... but one that's bigger than Massive, and most importantly, I personally am very much in favor of minimalism when it comes to the maps offered.

I love the fact that Majcom does not display a million maps like other sites I've looked at do ... Over there it looks like a menu with too many items.

I actually really liked ndrm's idea in a post above ... and I would like to add to it some of my own ideas. I would love to see a really huge map, with no special effects, and not even bonus for domains ... so far that's exactly what he said, what I would like to add to that besides the "really huge" concept is that we would start with very very few troops. As little as 3 would be awesome (in 2 players games).

Other than that ... I always wanted to enter this section of the forums and praise whoever created 12 Domains for extremely creative and effective job. From what I understood from what I read recently in another thread, I understand it's Shepherd.

I am guessing that when you created the map, you had no idea what a masterpiece you created. It offers so many options for creative, out of the box moves. Just like exclusive restaurants and chefs have a "signature dish" ... in my opinion 12 Domains is the "signature map" of Majcom.

It just has a life of its own ... and in my opinion you guys should register the domain name ... before someone else would ...

Also, I saw in another thread, Bado mentioning the possibility of printing maps in the future.

In my opinion 12 Domains can be sold on its own as a board game. No need to add other maps to it in my opinion. It would actually make it seem less special if you do.

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
+1 to the really big map - let me coin a term: MegaMap - but I would have commands, there are close to 200 countries in the world. Why not the political map of the world as it stands now? Mind you to do it justice you'd have to have zoom and scroll features... and with the server as it is now you'd need the casual 24 hours just to load it...

patsfan44

Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
How do you go about suggesting, collaborating on, designing, play testing a map or specific set of battle parameters? I have been fooling around with a civil war map and some ideas about movement and play and was wondering if there is a group or MajCom process or any specific person to talk to in order to get some support, ideas, suggestions, etc.

Just start a thread and post your idea and give us details and a basic overview of how you would like he map to be set up... If you can give us a rough draft image of it.

iLoveBadDiceBANNED

Awesome Player
+1 to the really big map - let me coin a term: MegaMap - but I would have commands, there are close to 200 countries in the world. Why not the political map of the world as it stands now? Mind you to do it justice you'd have to have zoom and scroll features... and with the server as it is now you'd need the casual 24 hours just to load it...

Well there can be two MegaMaps ... one which has every country in the world, with domains, and an imaginary one like 12D, just bigger, adopting ndrm's idea ... of no special features whatsoever (including no domains) ... that's what would be unique about it ... "Unplugged" ... or "Naked" ... "Raw" maybe ...

CaptSweatpants

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
Kickstarter
Thanks for the input ... The idea was a civil war map as I haven't seen one here. It would be limited in some ways by the nature of the conflict; two players or two teams but I've had some ideas about using the transcontinental railroad, navigating the Indian Territories to get supplies (armies) from the west coast into the battle. Having some key states on each side that produce more. Just thoughts now... which is why I asked about development groups and support.