• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

What do you want to see in a map?

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Simple question: What kind of map would you like to play on?

This is just a question an answer thread - let's not get wrapped up discussing one map idea, because if an idea is worthy of discussion it deserves its own thread. It's fine to be specific of as general as you like - we just want to know what our users want to play.

Last edited:

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I like the continent maps and am really looking forward to the release of the Africa, Australia and the Middle East maps. Also fond of 'concept' or 'time period' maps, such as the cold war Europe map. A WWII Pacific map would be really great (as an example), and other war-time 'theatre' maps. The Civil War, the Revolutionary War (a 13 colonies map, perhaps with the British fleet, Canadian provinces, and the western "Indian territories" as additional terts), maybe the Roman Empire.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I like big maps and I cannot lie....
you otha playas can't deny.
When a map loads up in 1000 pixel space
A bunch of regions in yo' face. You get FUN.

----------------------------------
But any specific theme or region you would like to see big maps in?

Blondo

Awesome Player
Now, this is the story all about how
My life got flipped-turned upside down
And I'd like to take a minute
Just sit right there
I'll tell you how I became the general of a site called MajCom

(oh yeah it has to do with maps I guess?)

diogenes

Awesome Player
I second Card's idea of concept/time period maps.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Bump to bring this back to the front so that more see it (and respond, hopefully)

Dreadnought

Awesome Player
I would like to see the 30 year war as a map. The main battle ground was what we today call Germany. However Germany at this time was split up into many small and more or less independent states, so the map should be very interesting with many territories and also many neighbouring states fighting for many different reasons and objectives beyond the religous one. Many things make this war interesting but more interesting in a development aspect for majcom might be that the armies had to be on the move, otherwise armies could not be paid or supplied and would slowly diminish. This made the armies move about trying to outmanoeuver each other so that enemy armies could be fought with superiority in both numbers and terrain. However this idea really calls for the development of same time game play.

steelrain

Awesome Player
What makes a map outstanding to me is when it transports me to another time/place... I'm a General in the Civil War, a conquistador braving the central american swamps, a martian colonizing mars, etc. Also I like each map to have its own distinct flavor that requires some unique strategies specific to that map. For example, South America has the rivers. Twelve Domains and Mars map introduce one or two new rules. So rather than feeling like I am playing the same old game on a different map, it feels like I am playing a brand new game in which I already know the rules.

Totally love what you guys are doing! YOUR MAPS ARE FREAKIN AWESOME!!!

Steelrain

Last edited:

steelrain

Awesome Player
Here are some map idea/theme brainstorms (or farts):

1.) Catacombs of Rome (or Vietnam War) with territories that connect via tunnels
2.) Worldwide Panademic, with players representing different viruses/bacteria
3.) Mob Wars, monopolies on certain contraband goods would lead to command bonuses
4.) 13th century Venice with its unique blend of canals and bridges would make for an interesting map
5.) Western Cowboy theme would be interesting, commands could be based on available grazing land
6.) Pangea map with changing landscape (encroaching ice and/or volcanos that bleed away troops)... I especially like this idea (wink, wink)

Whadda you guys think?

Steelrain

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
with Domains and Mars in the can, and since everything else I've tinkered with sucks, I might take my favorite idea from this thread and run with it. Right now Venice and the Roman Empire are near the top, but I'm hoping to be really blown away by something. Come on, folks!

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
what was wrong with the middle east map? Is the problem with the oil rigs? I don't remember having anything glitch when we played that one game, but I don't think anyone got the bonus for that.

I kind of like the Vietnam War idea, with tunnels providing attacks across the map, much the way that the sea routes are on the developing Phillippines map. Another one that I'd like to see (down the road maybe) is the Russian Revolution. You could do the nobles estates similar to the castles on the domains map.

mark

Awesome Player
What about something (like this one)?

Obviously not using those specific one but the idea of a map of different, identifiable fantasy regions? I ask this as an idea rather than providing a map for two reasons:
1. Is this kosher? How do I do this without it looking like I just stole ideas from either of these maps?

2. What does one create these maps in? I'm not a Photoshop wizard (or even MS Paint). Is there some program that allows me to draw in a free hand style (make squiggly lines) with a mouse?

If this is ok then I'll start fiddling around with it; develop a list of fantasy regions/worlds, try to figure how any of them connect (metaphorically), draw a map. Should have something by mid-2015. ;-)

BTW, same could be done with SF universes...but that's beyond my abilities to figure out how to connect universes (worm holes?) on a 2-D map.

Last edited:

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers

Obviously not using those specific one but the idea of a map of different, identifiable fantasy regions? I ask this as an idea rather than providing a map for two reasons:
1. Is this kosher? How do I do this without it looking like I just stole ideas from either of these maps?

2. What does one create these maps in? I'm not a Photoshop wizard (or even MS Paint). Is there some program that allows me to draw in a free hand style (make squiggly lines) with a mouse?

If this is ok then I'll start fiddling around with it; develop a list of fantasy regions/worlds, try to figure how any of them connect (metaphorically), draw a map. Should have something by mid-2015. ;-)

BTW, same could be done with SF universes...but that's beyond my abilities to figure out how to connect universes (worm holes?) on a 2-D map.

1) Well I agree we cant just steal a map like that. But if depending on what style of GP you wish to achieve, the layout will vary. One thing you can do it look at the real world and find a place that might give you the same sort of feel. Flip it upside down and rotate it. Then add more parts of other regions to it. Example below. Just need to experiment and see what you get.
http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Create-A-Map-in-Photoshop-158088259
http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tutorials-effects/how-to-create-an-old-world-map-in-photoshop/

2) If you just want a simple program then paint is your one for scribbles. But GIMP is a godo open source free paint tool you can use.

3) Here are a few ways I would connect two wormholes visually on a 2D map. Just a quick 15 min job. and photoshop crashed before I could save so no actual fail to share either. :-(
dbL46.png

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
My concern with a map like this is that we're not just stealing one person's intellectual property, we're stealing everybody's. It's an open invitation to send our lawyers (if we even have lawyers) a cease and desist letter.

But overall I like the idea of more fantasy maps. !2 Domains was fun to work on. And we absolutely need some space maps.

isaacmed

Awesome Player
Sorry, I have a noob question. Where do I find the command bonuses for the Classic Massive map? I'm new to this site but really like it so far. Thanks!

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
Sorry, I have a noob question. Where do I find the command bonuses for the Classic Massive map? I'm new to this site but really like it so far. Thanks!

Click on the briefing tab in game.

Here you go:
c297f3064e68a1106291e29624c20d8f.png

isaacmed

Awesome Player
I'd like to see some maps based on the American Civil War and WW2.

BudH

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
Maybe
- Punic Wars with Carthage, Rome, Numidians...
- Valley of Mexico (Aztec empire) with Tenochtitlan and other cities, isles, bridges (we could maybe build bridges using some of our troops)