• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

What do you want to see in a map?

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
Thanks for the input ... The idea was a civil war map as I haven't seen one here. It would be limited in some ways by the nature of the conflict; two players or two teams but I've had some ideas about using the transcontinental railroad, navigating the Indian Territories to get supplies (armies) from the west coast into the battle. Having some key states on each side that produce more. Just thoughts now... which is why I asked about development groups and support.

Just start a new thread here in the maps section of the forums, and you'll see that lots of people will chip in with comments and ideas. However, it will remain your project and I'm sure Shepherd - who's a very nice guy - won't want to incorporate anything you're not happy with ;-)

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
yep, give the Map Studios a first-draft map to look at, and people will jump in with suggestions, ideas, and general help.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I want to like it, I just can't get all the way into it. A map designed almost exclusively for 2 players just doesn't make me excited.

CaptSweatpants

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
Kickstarter
How about the team aspect? It could be like the Generals in the war? Your more familiar with the team aspect of MajCom than I for sure. Do you think there is anything there that might appeal?

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I'm not dissing your concept, you understand. It does look interesting. What I was thinking was one of 2 possibilities: Just the actual states involved in the war, with the west not even part of it. The north and south could both be split into smaller commands - New England, Midwest, etc.. That would make it a small map, though, the same scale as approx. Classic Mini. Or, if you're really a civil war buff, how about a Battle, say Gettysburg, with all the different generals positions being commands, if you get my meaning.

The problem that I see with your first draft is: it has a few differences, but not enough, from the USA map to make it really appealing to the masses. (There's also that 2-player thing). Maybe you could keep your first design and make some smaller commands named after the large armies of the time (army of the Potomac, etc.) That would distinguish it more.

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
sorry, I didnt read the entire post of each one of you, just gave them an look, I guess that it could be good to organize this tread a bit, let discuss here what we want to see in dif maps, and after that *a minimal agreement, we can chose which map to start, create, f.e. big maps was what many players asked for, thats why balkan map was possible, here are dif options for maps that I guess we can discuss, or were already purpoused in some cases:

*a big and *naked as ILBD said map, without bonus nor special items / autodeploy and more
*In my case since arround 1 year ago, im asking for a map with killer neutrals like in africa, not to base the map on that, but to have it a sugestion for any new map created *not the naked one
*map concept: hitorical maps, city maps, fantasy maps, some saga of existing maps, as Shep said a few months ago he was working in a particular domain of the 12 domains to make it a whole new map!!

patsfan44

Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Hey ndrm you gave me an idea so I will post it so I don't forget it...(might not be thought through)

How about a WW1 trench warfare map. The no mans land would of course be killer neutrals. You could have autodeploys behind the front trenches. There also could be bombarding(artillery and such). Thank about this idea and give some opinions on this idea.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
reasonable idea, patsfan, but how are you going to make it for more than 2 players?

patsfan44

Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
reasonable idea, patsfan, but how are you going to make it for more than 2 players?

I didn't even think about that. Well nvm then... I knew I was missing something important.

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
I think it could be possible - something akin to 12 domains, just have more than two parties behind more than two trenches (4 corners or even 5 or 6 parties) with killer neutrals in the middle. The players then have to build up enough troops to force their way through the killer neutrals (which might of course be interspersed with normal neutrals) in order to break into enemy territory.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
What do you think about the Gettysburg idea? That could make a nice smallish map, 6-8 commands.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I think it could be possible - something akin to 12 domains, just have more than two parties behind more than two trenches (4 corners or even 5 or 6 parties) with killer neutrals in the middle. The players then have to build up enough troops to force their way through the killer neutrals (which might of course be interspersed with normal neutrals) in order to break into enemy territory.

Well, it wouldn't really be accurate with WWI, where there were essentially 2 lines facing each other, but I see your point. That could work, although it would still be best for small numbers of players.

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
Keep coming up against this 2 player thing. Why not have certain maps that are limited to a certain number of players? So when you select the map 2 players is automatically selected and locked in. I mean there are players here who love head... (pause)... to head. Maybe you'd have to change a bit of code in the selection engine or whatever - I don't know tech-shit - which would seem a bit of a hassle for one map, the first one, but after that a whole new spectrum of historical conflicts open up.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
true, if there was an interest, a lot of nice 2-player maps could probably be made. Doesn't really interest me, I really don't like 1v1 because of the inherent advantage the first player has, but a lot of people like it.

EDIT: and, btw, Cagey, you're a pig. Just sayin' :beerglass:

iLoveBadDiceBANNED

Awesome Player
*map concept: hitorical maps, city maps, fantasy maps, some saga of existing maps, as Shep said a few months ago he was working in a particular domain of the 12 domains to make it a whole new map!!

That is VERY cool, I guess it is one of the many posts I missed.

If it's not too late to recommend ... I would recommend doing it for the "Isle of Ynisol" ... as it's the cool domain that stands out ... though the grass is greener in "Northern Boreal"

If I had a huge telescope ... and I was looking at the "12 Domains Planet" from Earth ... and I could only choose one domain to exmaine closer ... without a doubt "Isle of Ynisol" would be it ... plus ... it's the only island!

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
iLoveBadDice: Let your creativity run amok and give us a draft of how you'd like the Isle of Ynisol to look like! We'd love to see that.

And, of course, whether there should be any special features, or none ;-)

patsfan44

Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers

I wouldn't mind this.

Another thought a 24 point Chinese checker star with autodeploy on each point of star The whole triangle would be non killer neutrals while the center is killer neutrals. Maybe like twelve domains each territory in your triangle you own +1. (again just tossing out ideas)

CaptSweatpants

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
Kickstarter
What do you think about the Gettysburg idea? That could make a nice smallish map, 6-8 commands.

Well I'm really not enough of a civil war buff to know enough about that to help. It does seem to head us toward two players (or two teams) again. which was the original concern you voiced... too limiting.

iLoveBadDiceBANNED

Awesome Player
iLoveBadDice: Let your creativity run amok and give us a draft of how you'd like the Isle of Ynisol to look like! We'd love to see that.

And, of course, whether there should be any special features, or none ;-)

Thank you for the assignment Sebrim, but why don't you do it yourself before you ask others to? and what's with the wink? someone poked your eye?

and besides ... if you would have bothered to actually read the whole post before jumping in ... (including what I was replying to) ... you would have read that ndrm said that Shepherd is already working on it ... I have zero experience in cartography, Shepherd is the master. I could only contribute my creative ideas, and that's what I've already done!