• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

The Tournament Generator

ladynem

Awesome Player
Hey Marc, I can help you with it if you want. Personally I use a (free!) photo editing program, rip various images off the web, and edit them/ cut out parts/ use various layars/..., and I've got a few different fonts.
I'm very amateur when it comes to editing but I like doing it, so if you need some help getting your ideas on a banner, let me know and maybe I can help you :)

OwlCraft

Awesome Player
rsz_1.png

You're in Command, Now!

"A low buy-in, low reward tournament designed to show off the perks of being a Commander. From a 24-man Crusade to a couple of Fixed Force matches, whether you're a Silver looking to test the waters or a Goldie who just can't get enough, hop on in and enjoy the best that Major Command has to offer!"

Total Players: 48

Round 1: "So... Many... Players..."

Map: Classic Massive

2 Matches, 24 Players each
Objective: Standard
Teams: Crusade
Reserves: Escalite
Reinforcement: Path, Three
Force: Chance
(24 players advance)

Round 2: "Now you can't blame it on the dice!"

Map: Classic Evolved

4 Matches, 6 Players each
Team: Singles
Reserves: Escalate
Reinforcement: Border, One
Force: Fixed
(4 players advance)

Round 3: "Here at MajComm—Nukes. Just Nukes."

Map: Nukes!

1 Match, 4 Players
Team: Singles
Reinforcement: Path, Three
Force: Fixed

ladynem

Awesome Player
fewtokill_zps38cd354f.jpg

A Few to Kill
There you are, special agent, reporting for duty.
Your name and the names of several other special agents from competing governments leaked… As a result the international situation is highly tense. Each and every special agent on that list must be considered an enemy. In each mission it’s your duty to kill one of these enemies. But beware – rumours are that they are after you as well…

*Each round is named after a James Bond movie, in honor of 50 years of James Bond

Round 1
On her Majesty’s secret service
(12 games) (60 players)
The British Isles
Players: 5
Objective: assassin
Teams: singles
Reinforcement allowance: 1
Reinforcement: path
Force: chance

Round 2
License to Kill
(3 games) (12 players)
USA
Players: 4

Round 3
Live and let Die
(1 game) (3 players)
Middle East
Players: 3

OwlCraft

Awesome Player
On a slightly unrelated note, are there any plans for resolving the broken tournaments? Deleting them from the list of Ongoings, and perhaps doing the final rounds manually...

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
Hey guys,

First of all, thanks masterjskye for directing me to this thread. Second, ladynem and OwlCraft -- so these new tournaments are your creations? Very good job, and I appreciate your efforts, all 3 of you (and I'm sure the other dozens who enlisted on those tournaments feel similarly).

Now, I have a question. Is it possible to have a tourney for doubles? I mean is it possible to have the same partner in every round? I've come across some great teams (just like you, I'm sure), and it would be a pleasure to have those teams all together. Is it possible?

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
I have an idea for an assassins tourney. I know we already have one - but what I have in mind is a game with the minimum amount of luck involved. Fixed, escalite, no reinf, and only for 3 players (where everyone knows, who is who).

As I see, most of the tournaments have 3 rounds -- in this case it would mean 27 players. With 4 rounds it would be 81. To win 3 or 4 consecutive games of this type (on different maps) is really something in my opinion. What do you think?

The theme was inspired by the Rorschach guy from Watchmen, and I used some harsh language. Of course, I think it's just funny, not offensive, I hope you'll agree.

rorschach.jpg

Putting yourself to the test

We are looking for the meanest, baddest, ugliest competitor of this site.
Don’t count on the dice in this tourney, they won’t help you. Don’t count on your friends either -- you won’t have any. Neither will you find yourself in a glorious march only because the escalate setting turned your way. And NO, you can’t buy your salvation by a well-placed reinforcement in the last cathartic moment. No. In this tourney, there is only one question: can you outsmart player after player after player?
Honestly? I don’t think so. But if you think you are mean enough, if you think you are uglier than even me… well, now is the time to prove it.

Round 1:
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."
(27 games) (81 players)
Classic MINI
Reinforcement allowance: No
Reinforcement: anywhere
Force: fixed

Round 2:
"Fair is a word that some simpering loser made up. Things are never fair. Fair is for f.gg.ts and people on welfare."
(9 games) (27 players)
Duck & Cover

Round 3:
"You can run, but you'll only die tired."
(3 games) (9 players)
Far East Asia

Round 4:
"No matter how much you think you love somebody, you'll step back when the pool of their blood edges up too close."
(1 game) (3 players)
Middle East

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Love the concept mate, well done! I can go ahead and make this but be warned it will take a long time to fill at 81 players. Up to you.

masterjskye

CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Btw I think this is about the most brutal toruney concept ever imagined muahahaha! And to answer your question about doubles: No, the system doesn't support pre-arranged teams unfortunately. For now, that kind of competition would have to be manually organised through casual games.

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
Aham, and what do you think, how much time would it take to create and supervise such a doubles' tournament through casual games? I'd just really love to have one.

As for my concept, thanks for the support... and 27 or 81 players? Doesn't matter to me. Let's wait for what ladynem and OwlCraft (or others) has to say in the matter, what do you think?

About filling up slowly -- why don't you use the Dispatch part of the games tab to advertise tournaments (not just this one, but each and every one of them). In the case of the Aussie tourney it worked brilliantly, it filled up in no time.:)

masterjskye

CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
It'd take a bit of work and dedication to get a doubles league up and running, but I know there are quite a few interested people as this idea has been banded about before. I know B1G4NF was keen to get one going and has some plans and ground rules already thought up, but so far it just hasn't come about yet. If you are serious about it I'd contact him and see what you can rustle up, or by all means fire on and set up your own doubles league. It really is all about just doing it. I'll agree it's not exactly easy to get the word out though, so like I say it is a bit of work! But I managed ok with the league, and the battle for the belt is perpetuated by the contestants themselves which is great.

I agree the dispatch is an underused commodity. If I had access to it I'd advertise the tournies.

And, personally I'd pick 27 players.

OwlCraft

Awesome Player
No round taking place on Mars? I'm disappointed! It's a classic part of the story :)

First off, I <3 the concept. No reinforce? 3-player assassin? Rorschach!? F--- yeah, I'm in!

Anywho...

Solution #1: When in doubt... do both!

A 27-player tourney (possibly with a focus on bigger maps) and an 81-player tourney (with a focus on smaller maps).

Solution #2: A compromise: make the first round a triples assassin match.

Personally, and from a purely numbers perspective, if I wanted to move a 3-player tournament from 3 rounds to 4 rounds, the first thing I'd do is try to cut out some of the inflation. 81 players makes for a long tournament to wait for... and what does the player get for it? An extra round just like any other round. Having 27 matches going on at once is interesting for the organizer, not so much for the player. It just entails more waiting.

So what I'd do is have more players pass from the first round to the second round while having fewer matches to decide them. You do that with a teams game. Here is a possible arrangement that I whipped up:

Round 1: 9 matches of 6 players each (Triples)
Round 2: 9 matches of 3 players each (Singles)
Round 3: 3 matches of 3 players each (Singles)
Round 4: 1 match of 3 players (Game Winner)

That gives you a tournament of 54 players. This arrangement not only allows for a more preferable number, but it gives the player something that feels worthy of having to wait for that many players.

Now how does this all fit in with the required theme?

The Watchmen heroes started out on a team! Rorschach started his career as a team-player. They were all buddies in the back-story. Then they all went crazy... and murderous.

A Team Assassins match is also a rare treat (since it's an option not available outside of tournament play). Also, if one considers a No Reinforce match to be a motherbitch, then a Teams No Reinforce match must be doubly so. A Triples No Reinforce Assassin game is a bitch of a way to start ANY sort of tournament.

Just my humble 2 cents. I'm perfectly fine with doing either a 27 or an 81. It's all the same to me :D

EDIT:

As a fellow Watchmen fan, might I be so presumptuous as to suggest an alternate map selection?

Far East Asia for Round 1 (due to the fact that the Vietnam War was flashback/back-story material).

Mars for Round 3 (yes, I realize that Rorschach never went to Mars, but it's such an iconic part of the story! I simply can't abide a Watchmen tournament without seeing a match played on this map! :D)

Classic MINI for Round 4 (not only does Antarctica play prominently on this map, its design just looks like the type of deal that Ozymandias would've been using for himself.)

Although, I'm sure Duck & Cover would work just as well for the final round considering, y'know, the ending...

Last edited:

OwlCraft

Awesome Player
I'm game for a doubles... thing... y'know, once that thing is figured out...

Also, glad to see you joining in on the fun, th-child!

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
Hey, thank you for the feedback, and masterjskye, thank you for the reminder.

I think I agree with Owl in everything. Let'd do this with 54 players, and with a Mars map in round 3.
They were great suggestions, and a team assassins match must be a real badass, i was wondering why it's not possible normally.

Anyhow, there's a sentence in the description that must be changed:
Don’t count on your friends either *- you won’t have any. --> Don’t count on your friends either *- you won’t have them for long.

That's it, if you still agree, masterjskye, please create the tourney according to Owl's updates.

Also, if it comes to having a doubles tourney, i spend quite a lot of time on this site, i can help out with organizing/supervising. And yes, please contact B1G4NF by all means, let's have it a go.

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
Oh, and this is an offtopic question here, but i just didn't manage to understand it fully: is it still possible to sign up for the battle of the belt, and the majcom league?
Thanks!

masterjskye

Level &#8734;: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Tourney is Live

Go sign up everyone, this one is a good unusual tourney. It's the first full fixed force one I can remember. Lol, I wonder how many people will not read the description and be all confused when it's fixed. Oh well!! :D

Team assassins again very unusual, used to be site wide but it was seen to be too hard an option for the newbies to just stumble into, and as a result professional "assassins crews" were making an absolute killing against the randomly teamed casuals. It remained in tournaments because anyone joining tournies should pretty much know what they are doing.

AFAIK the belt is closed atm to new applicants because it is a points based thing with a set rotation - and the league is atm just closing up on season one, and we have had our winner. There are still matches in round 6 to play though, and once they are done I'll start thinking about season 2 seriously. But to be honest I think I want to change things up a bit so any suggestions as to how are welcome from everyone. I mostly just make this stuff up and people go with it but it would be cool to hear people's thoughts too. There are league and belt sub-forums in the MajCom bit of the forums so I'd check those out for more info.

Good to have you "on board" though th-child, we are always on the lookout for promising new recruits for tourney organisers and such things.

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
Thanks for putting it together and for the answer, too.
Did I already ask, who is in control of the dispatch area?

masterjskye

Level &#8734;: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Badorties, and maybe some other members of the Centcom team, I'm not sure.

OwlCraft

Awesome Player
I have some more ideas for tournaments, but I guess I'll wait until some of these new ones fall off! :D

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
Well the league is up and running, but I see no cup tournament - it seems obvious, 64 players in the league - perfect number for a straight head to head knock out cup. It'd be 6 rounds, but 2 player games tend to be short and sharp, especially if escalate, but even on flat rate once someone gets an edge they can usually finesse a win quite quickly.

MCCUP2_zps68eff7fc.jpg

round 1: 32 matches of 2/classic mini/escalate/3/path

round 2: 16 matches of 2/classic antiquitus/escalate/3/path

round 3: 8 matches of 2/classic evolved/escalate/3/path

quarter finals: 4 matches of 2/classic massive/escalate/3/anywhere

semi finals: 2 matches of 2/classic massive/flat/3/path

final : 2/classic massive/flat/one/path ~~ (flat/one/path to limit first turn advantage)

Last edited: