• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

The Tournament Generator

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
In my travels across the wilds of MajCom I have met more than a few folk who wished to make tournaments. Unfortunately these poor souls had not been bestowed with the powers necessary to accomplish this feat.

I had been previously blessed with the power of the T.O's, and I knew what a rare gift this was indeed. I was among only a very small handful of active players that could (and would) make tournaments on a semi-regular basis.

I pondered this seeming imbalance for a while, in the mean time creating a few tourneys of my own. With the help of a precious few the tournament system has ticked over alright, but I'm sure some of you will agree we could do with a bit more action on this side of the proceedings. Quite frankly, we need some fresh ideas.

I have decided it is time to share the power of the Tournament Organisers with you all, in a thread aptly named The Tournament Generator. This thread, in fact.

============================================

How will it work?

I will take tournament ideas from any player that has access to the official tournament system. I'll use these ideas to make a tournament as close to what the player wanted as possible.

What do I need from you?

* I need a picture - a 500 x 150 jpeg (100kb or less) It must be exactly the right size. I recommend making your banner then uploading it to an image hosting site, or if it is on the internet somewhere already, just send me the direct link to it. It must be something decent, I'm not putting my name to anything that's not up to scratch.

Pro Tip: Google image and other search engines allow you to search by image size. Simply enter the correct parameters and search for something related to your theme, 99% of the time you will find something suitable with a bit of digging. When I do it I also like to add my own writing or other effects to make it my own.

* I need a theme. The tournament should be interesting in some way. You need a good description that is informative or entertaining or preferably both. I'm pretty flexible here, just don't make it anything rude or offensive obviously.

* I need your exact maps, settings and player count for each round. Bear in mind even my powers have limits. Look at previous tournaments for inspiration on what is possible.

* And finally, your tournament needs a name.

Post all this in a concise forum post here.

* I need your understanding that the tournament might not fit exactly as you intended it to and may have to be edited or altered for quality assurance.

That's It!!

If this sounds like a dream come true then get your thinking caps on and give me some great new ideas! For the Future of Majcom! :rock:

Last edited:

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
cool, count me in I already have an idea for a saga of non reinforcements tournaments, to experience each map without reinforcemnts, like the assasin soul, we can do the same with none reinforcemnts, btw this week I created 5 causual games in dif maps to experimate them, I guess to start with antiquus may be cool, 40 players 1st round 5 players none reinforcement escalate games, 2cndround the same with 4 players each map, and a final game with 2 players same settings, I guess that the introduction in this case, may be something talking about the complicated that was to move the troops and suply in *antiquus times<, I can write something and send it to you with the image XD!!, anyway the settings and map, or maps may change the idea would be to experience 1 map in each tournament without reinforcements, maybe 1 map per month XD

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
Btw, as allways thanks for all your great job Master

masterjskye

Level &#8734;: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Excellent suggestion right off the bat ndrm31! I love no reinforcement as a setting. This is exactly the kind of thing I was after :D

ladynem

Awesome Player
Nice idea! I'd love to have more tournaments, and especially a few tournaments that fill up a bit quicker - tournaments that don't require more than 90 people for it to start. I've made 2 ideas, no image yet, I'd first like to know if you guys like the ideas :)

Historical wars (48 players to start)

Many wars have been fought through out the centuries.
Who can change history and win all the historical wars?
Winning the historical wars requires great skill, tactics and coöperation, to be shown in 4 different rounds with different settings, including 1 team game.

We start centuries ago, when the Roman empire expanded it’s territories in the lands we now call the middle east. Who can once again lead the Byzantine empire to it’s former glory?

Then we jump to the times in which the voyages of Columbus lead to the colonization of the world. Colonizing the entire world required a team effort, which duo will control the whole world?

On to more recent history, the time when lot´s of people waited for the bomb to fall. The time of the cold war – Western world vs. The communists. 1 versus 1. Who will be able to unite Europe?

How much has really changed through-out history? The lands that were once owned by the great Byzantine empire are now the fields of numerous conflicts. Who can take out his target and lead the middle east to peace?
The one that accomplishes that difficult mission is the rightful winner of this historical tournament.
Settings
Round 1 Middle east (12 games)
Players: 4
Objective: Standard
Teams: Singles
Reserves: escalite
Reinforcement allowance: 3
Reinforcement: border
Force: chance

Round 2 Antiquus (2 games)
Players: 6
Teams: Triples
Reserves: Fixed
Reinforcement: path

Round 3 Cold war (3 games)
Players: 2
Teams: singles
Reserves: Escalite
Reinforcement allowance: 1
Reinforcement: everywhere

Round 4 Middle east (1 game)
Players: 3
Objective: assassin
Reserves: Escalate

Duck & Cover! (54 players)
“There was a turtle by the name of Bert, and Bert the turtle was very alert. When danger threatened him he never got hurt – he knew just what to do!”
Are you as alert as Bert? Are you the one that never gets hurt? Are you an expert in duck… & cover?

Settings
Round 1 (18 games)
Objective: standard
Reinforcement: border

Round 2 (6 games)
Objective: assassin

Round 3 (1 game)
Players: 6
Reinforcement: everywhere

Round 4 (1 game)
Players: 2

ladynem

Awesome Player
I like your idea, NDRM!
And I should sooo get to bed.

BeanZ

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
I'm liking the ideas!
Just one question though, in the duck and cover suggestion m'lady, how can you go from 1 singes game to another singles game?
With only 1 winner how do you get 2 players for the last round?

masterjskye

Level &#8734;: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Nice one ladynem, your suggestions will work nicely, though the numbers will have to be toned back a bit as I put your setup into the system and the first one came out at 144 players and the second at 108 :D

Also, Duck & Cover description is about the perfect length - historical wars could do with something more compact.

Beanz is right too that you can't have one single game followed by another single game.

It is worth noting as well that Real Time tournaments are outside the scope of this project.

Last edited:

PITMAN212

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
thanks for including me : ^ ) i am so excited

ajdedo

I Shot the Sheriff
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
So when you say "Tournament Generator" - that means basically YOU are the "Tournament Generator"?

OwlCraft

Awesome Player
EDIT:
Tournament: Emperor of These United States... Implemented!
Tournament: Friends to the Very End... Implemented!
Tournament: Official Royal Rumble... Implemented!
Tournament: Wheel of Fortune... Not Yet Implemented

Hmm... so I was kickin' around some ideas at work today. These are what I came up with:

#1 Emperor of These United States (and Protector of Mexico)

(Inspired by the real life Emperor Norton)

Discover, Defend, and Conquer. From humble beginnings to Manifest Destiny, from obscurity to global conflict, only the strongest of minds can lead this continent through the test of time.

Total Players: 48

Round 1: Discovery (and Qualifier)

Map: Classic Antiquus

16 matches, 3 players each
Team: Singles
Border - One
(16 players advance)

Round 2: Manifest Destiny

Map: USA

4 matches, 4 players each
Team: Doubles
Path - One
(8 players advance)

Round 3: Conquest

Map: North America

2 matches, 4 players each
Path - One
(2 players advance)

Round 4: Global Conflict

Map: Duck & Cover

1 match, 2 players
Path - One
(1 winner)

#2 Friends... to the Very End?

Team games that dwindle to a final round of singles. Former comrades become your next bitter enemies.

The final round is a 1v1 between the members of the doubles team from the previous round. The maps start from the larger, gentler British Isles, to the smaller, more brutal Nukes!. Reinforcement begins at "Anywhere" and moves to "Border", signifying a breakdown in trust.

Total Players: 48

Round 1: Easy Mode

Map: The British Isles

4 matches, 12 players each
Team: Sixers
Reinforcement: Anywhere - Three
(24 players advance)

Round 2: Getting a little rougher, now...

Map: Africa

2 matches, 12 players each
Team: Triples
Path - One
(6 players advance)

Round 3: Paranoia

Map: Cold War Europe

1 match, 6 players

Border - Three
(2 players advance)

Round 4: There can be only one!

Map: Nukes!

1 match, 2 players
Singles
Border - One
(1 winner)

#3 Major Command's Official Royal Rumble!!!

It's a no-holds barred, global melee... no allies, all singles... and only one player emerges victorious from the ring!

Total Players: 96

Round 1: Let's Get Ready to Rum~ble!

Map: Classic Massive

8 matches, 12 players each
Reinforcement: Unlimited - Anywhere
(8 players advance)

Round 2: It's all about Stamina!

Map: Classic Massive

2 matches, 4 players each
Path - Three
(2 players advance)

Round 3: The Final Beatdown!

Map: Classic Evolved

1 match, 2 players
Path - One
(1 winner)

#4 Wheel of Fortune X

(I had this idea about doing a series of smaller, Tarot themed games. The Wheel of Fortune card is a pretty obvious place to start... although it looks as if you guys already ran a more "luck"-themed tournament...)

Total Players: 32

Round 1

Map: Classic MINI

4 matches, 8 players each
Path - One
(8 players advance)

Round 2

Map: Africa

1 match, 8 players
Objective: Mercenary
Path - One
(1 winner)

Last edited:

OwlCraft

Awesome Player
Also...

+1 to ndrm31's No Reinforcement tourney.

+1 to ladynem's Duck & Cover tourney.

:D

TheGeneral

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
T.O's.
Some great ideas here guys.

I am one of the tournament organisers and would like to help you set up some tournamnets if you like, Masterjskye. You may be overrun with ideas if the great ideas already posted are an indication so if you need a hand then shout.

I would love to set up more tournaments but am somewhat restricted by my computer art skills. I do not have photoshop so have to look for images on the net which i sometimes do not have success on. If I had the banner and the theme then I could help set up too.

Keep the ideas coming and shout if you need help, Masterjskye.

OwlCraft

Awesome Player
Some great ideas here guys.

You may be overrun with ideas if the great ideas already posted are an indication so if you need a hand then shout.

Having too many good ideas is better than having too many bad ideas : D

ladynem

Awesome Player
LOL, that's indeed stupid of me, the singles games in the duck & cover like this :)
And Masterskye, were did my calculations go wrong, you came up with way many players than I did XD It was late, I shall dive into it again this evenening when I'm more awake ;-) I'll also make the historical wars more compact then, do you mean with 'more compact' "Less rounds"? I can turn it back to 3 rounds?

ladynem

Awesome Player
General, I'm not a great picture editor, but I think I could come up with some banners.
Depends on how strict you all are with copyright though, do you think it's ok to google pictures and use them as a base for editing in a banner?

ladynem

Awesome Player
Oh and another question, I can't make not-chance games in tournaments, right? I would love a not-chance (what's it called, the fixed variant), f.e. in the historical wars, to make it really about tactics. But I seem to remember that strategists can't join then...?

marc369

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
So How about a Mercenary tournament: So you think you the ultimate player? You have a nice shiny badge which shows your prestige!! Well take the ultimate challenge fight your way out of Africa among all the war lords striving for supremacy, before the call comes from South America more political unrest and your talents are required, now your ego swells and you try for the world in classic massive. Beware the minnow just looking for scalps!!!

1st round: 64 players 16 4 player games Africa reinforcements 3 path force chance escalate
2nd round: 32 players 4 4 player games S America reinforcements 3 path force chance escalate
3rd round 4 players 1 game Classic Massive reinforcements 3 path force fixed escalite

marc369

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Liking the ideas so far :)

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
So How about a Mercenary tournament: So you think you the ultimate player? You have a nice shiny badge which shows your prestige!!

Cool, mercenary may even put us to choice at some stage of the game, what would u do, kill 1 or 2 players?, or try to win the game and to advance to the next round?, in flate rate I guess that it would be mad cause in escalate to eliminate a player may mean to eliminate all the remaining ones :)