• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Add A Resign Button

Would you like to see a resign feature added to Majorcommand?

• Total voters

linkinpark

Awesome Player
Generals
The Embassy
Yeah, the only difference should be that you don't have to wait 24 hours up to 4 (?) times.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
This is something that could be implemented when the site recode is done, until then don't expect anything.

twhayes7

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
I agree. Do a two factor resignation...

sundicekid

Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Canadian Club
Surrender button is on the list.

IMO the benefits outweigh the potential of abuse. People can find a way to cheat regardless of what features are implements. Surrender or resign definitely deserves a chance. Look for it on the relaunch.

I don't think it's a matter of people cheating, cause they can just go awol & come back, which is worse.

But it definitely is a matter of screwing up the game for the remaining players. Perhaps you could limit the surrender button - the truces that player has remain in full effect.

AngusJustice above has a great idea: "the opposing team would have to agree before you could surrender." That would work, sometimes you'd just say sure. And of course then some people will get angry & give you dishonourables for not agreeing because you want to see your strategy through. Just the whole idea is problematic. Isn't that is what awol is for?

And hey, let's not give grunts an easy bail for greener pastures when it will damage the remaining players, because surrender is immediate, but going awol at least gives the others a chance to restructure their defence.

>I just don't see how catering to people unwilling to pay a dime to support the site is a benefit to the community. If they want in more games, they can cough up the 10? bucks. I can't believe we have Colonels & Generals - who are Grunts.

I was on a site quite a while ago, I put all kinds of time & effort into an awesome strategy, an exciting momentum toward my victory. Next time I came back anticipating my turn, I could not find the game, what? I had won, the player bailed in a surrender, but it was an empty victory, like 'just letting me win'. So, I left that site for good.

Waiting the 3 or 5 minutes in rt or 24 hrs is not that big a deal, when we still have to wait that long or nearly that long for "active" players. Yeah, I don't like waiting either, but that should not be the determining factor in this manner.

Last edited:

pelgrimBANNED

Awesome Player
surrender button

everyone must have seen it plenty of times: hopeless situations where you just play to get rid of the game.

A surrender button would solve that problem, certainly if you're in a game with only 2 players.

Pongin

Awesome Player
Majorcommand needs a resign button/AWOL button

I began playing just recently, but I'll admit one feature that has seriously discouraged me
from the game is a lack of a resign button. Would someone tell me why the tech team has
chosen not to implement one?

First off in real-time games it's very inconvenient to have to finish every match when the troops
are say, 100 to 20, and neither player wants to keep playing. However what's more unreasonable
is that the loser has no reason to keep playing other than to be polite, but the winner MUST
keep playing if they want to win. This system is essentially punishing the winner.

Personally without the resign button I feel obligated to make my turns in casual games. If I
discover that Risk isn't for me or that I'm hopelessly lost in a Casual game with 4-12 people
no one could blame me for going AWOL, but then I'll be making 4-12 people wait for 24 hours.
Thus my ONLY reason for playing on is again, being polite, even if it doesn't benefit me personally
in any way.

Due to the lack of this feature I think I'm going to quit playing because I don't want to make people
wait forever every time I'm lost and I don't want to keep playing either.

SUGGESTION: At the very least add a button that allows you to go AWOL immediately and skip all of your
turns/turn all of your regions back to neutral. There's no way this feature would result in some new form
of abuse because as punishment you'd lose rating and it's identical to going AWOL anyway just without
making other people wait.

Last edited:

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
I vote no for casual games, maybe yes for real time *it also have the door open to cheats (maybe 2 missed turns can do it for real time)

GeneralDominator

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
Even worse is people who go AWOL come back and miss turns. Ridiculous!

matildathehun

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
Maybe rather than a "resign" button, it could be a "surrender" button. That way, the other player has to accept the surrender. Not sure how it might work in a multi-player game -- though it likely wouldn't happen until it was down to two anyway. There must be some way to code it so that you can only surrender when there is one other player. I could see a resign button being abused otherwise.

Would definitely like to see it in two player games in any case...!

MTH

Ex-Tracktor-Fan

Awesome Player
Nice idea for sure... especially for r/t games...

BUT

My mum always taught me to finish what you started!

... So, thanx to all those players that are gracious enough in defeat, to stick around till the bitter end. :congrats:

Redstorm

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
... So, thanx to all those players that are gracious enough in defeat, to stick around till the bitter end.

Hear hear. for those who care about such things ... that is a huge factor for me when determining honor

Squintgnome

Awesome Player
I am in agreement with Pongin on this topic. I also just began playing recently and favor 1v1 games. I have been discouraged by the amount of players, more that half I believe, that just leave the game when they feel they will lose. I know some thin this is not a big deal, but many 1v1 games can be decided in less than 3 rounds because of initial placement and luck. In these cases I will play for 10 minutes and then have to wait for fifteen minutes for my opponents timer to expire over the course of three turns or so. More than half my time is spent waiting. I often have only short windows of open time to play, so when I hope to get in a few games in 45 minutes, it is frustrating to only get to play one game because an opponent disappears.
I encourage the club leadership to change this as soon as you can for 1v1 games. I realize that there are more subtleties for larger games, but 1v1 is a 'no brainer' in my opinion to add a resign button.

I began playing just recently, but I'll admit one feature that has seriously discouraged me
from the game is a lack of a resign button. Would someone tell me why the tech team has
chosen not to implement one?

First off in real-time games it's very inconvenient to have to finish every match when the troops
are say, 100 to 20, and neither player wants to keep playing. However what's more unreasonable
is that the loser has no reason to keep playing other than to be polite, but the winner MUST
keep playing if they want to win. This system is essentially punishing the winner.

Personally without the resign button I feel obligated to make my turns in casual games. If I
discover that Risk isn't for me or that I'm hopelessly lost in a Casual game with 4-12 people
no one could blame me for going AWOL, but then I'll be making 4-12 people wait for 24 hours.
Thus my ONLY reason for playing on is again, being polite, even if it doesn't benefit me personally
in any way.

Due to the lack of this feature I think I'm going to quit playing because I don't want to make people
wait forever every time I'm lost and I don't want to keep playing either.

SUGGESTION: At the very least add a button that allows you to go AWOL immediately and skip all of your
turns/turn all of your regions back to neutral. There's no way this feature would result in some new form
of abuse because as punishment you'd lose rating and it's identical to going AWOL anyway just without
making other people wait.

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
I'm pretty sure all of these ideas have been closely examined. As far as I know, they are on the list to implement in some way (I'm just not privy to how).

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers

Redstorm

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
If a player Quits a game, and the game is more then a 2 player game, for example a 4 player game, then what should happen to the quitting player's cards and troops?
assuming ur talking about going awol that wud then seem to rely on whether that awol player can return to the game. if awol player can return, then I wud say nothing. however, if the awol rules are that that player cannot return then I wud suggest, in singles games at least, that the awol players territories revert to neutral and cards simply disappear. team games hmmmmm. my first reaction is what wud be fair? Perhaps the awol player retains his territories but all troops on those territories revert to 1 troop and he retains his cards. that way, the awol player's team isn't devastated but still loses deploys, further cards etc from that player while retaining rights of passing troops depending on settings. The other team meanwhile still has the option of attacking another player from the other team which is a self explanatory benefit. just top of my mind thoughts.

F15FreeEagle

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
T.O's.
If a player Quits a game, and the game is more then a 2 player game, for example a 4 player game, then what should happen to the quitting player's cards and troops?[/QUOTE

Obviously, an awol player in a team game can often decide who wins that particular game. We've all been on both sides of that. I would not be opposed to the awol's troops and cards being distributed at random to their teammates. Am I overlooking something here?

On 2nd thought, maybe just the troops should just be distributed, and the cards disappear. The cards being "handed" to a teammate would be unfair.

Last edited:

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
I don't mean going AWOL. I mean actively Quitting a game by clicking the yet to be installed "SURRENDER" button.

If a player is losing a 2 player games, he can Surrender and the remaining player is the winner.

But in a game with more then 2 players, it needs to be determined what happens to the quitting players "cards".

Options could be:
- a) The quitting player goes AWOL and is unable to return. Making the cards available to whomever conquers his remaining troops.
- b) All the quitting player's troops become neutral and their cards "disappear"

Last edited: