• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Add A Resign Button

Would you like to see a resign feature added to Majorcommand?

• Total voters

PointSpecial

Awesome Player
Maybe this already exists... but there should be a resign button so you can just leave well enough alone and end a game when you're getting slaughtered. If you have, say, 4 or 5 scattered regions against someone with a 2 continent bonus (plus the region/3 base armies), it might take a few turns to finish you off... if you could just resign, that would end it for both of you.

I'm trying to determine what the implications would be for a more-than-one-on-one game... I suppose your remaining regions could just become neutral. This could have other implications... if someone has been finishing you off to get your cards, you could resign and they'd be out the extra bonus from the cards... I dunno. That could be a tactic in team games!

codanostra

switching to missiles!
O.G.
Awesome Player
I believe this has been discussed quite a bit and resignation leaves a lot of room for abuse.

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
as you said PointSpecial, there are indeed many possible ways in which a resign option could be problematic, and as coda noted, lead to abuse. Leaving a game because it's all but over anyway makes some sense - and believe me I've made plenty of turns that were just click, deploy, & kiss my ass goodbye - but what about a player leaving a game because he/she's at her limit and would rather play another game? Or leaving in frustration because they got bad dice? Or timing their departure to give their points to a friend - or avoid being taken out in a mercenary game?

Any time somebody packs up their toys and goes home it disrupts the game for the other players. It's best for everybody to let games play out naturally, even if it means some players will go AWOL or lose interest in said game.

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
With 2 player games, yes once the tide turns it hard to stop that momentum, how ever i have seen many non- 2player games where the power shifts alot especially when one player becomes dominate and others gang up on them, all you have to do is sit tight and out of the way. Escalating games are an entirely different matter. You can be left with 1 single troop on 1 region, and call up reserves and win the game on the same turn.

Parkelj

Awesome Player
Surrender button

we all know that sometimes end a game is just senseless or just a waste of time when one of the players has just few countries or just 90% of the odds against ...
so i suggest to implement a button to "give up"... of course is just an option n some of u could fight to the end n stuff but in i think it could be usefull .. what u say?

even if u have many troops n u cant or dont want to play till the end u could just use "give up" button ... n ur troops n ur countries could become neutral so no1 takes advantage of that .. :eek:

it could work like this : 1v1 ..if any give up the other one wins ... otherwise (more players) troops become neutral XD

Last edited:

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
While on the surface it seems like a good idea, the serious potential for abuse kinda outweighs the positives. Besides, a lot of players can tell you stories of games where they were convinced that it was all over, only to come back and prevail. A 1% shot at victory is a damn sight better than a 0% shot.

Plain-ol-Ed

Awesome Player
Then maybe a button that just lets them admit they are going to go AWOL. At least the rest of us don't have to wait 24 hours for the same result.

ORBOTRON

O.G.
Awesome Player
I was going to agree with that until I realized that's why we have RT games. Casual games are just that, take turns once a day or so, sometimes once a week if it's a huge game. Speed and efficiency are for the RT games.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
i have to agree with the others.. i see a 'give up' button as something that would possibly just be abused.

you referenced making all the other persons troops "neutrals".. in a 1vs1 game, it would be a complete pain in the 'bottom' to have to play an entire game by yourself, if someone was to join, decide they didn't want to play and 'give up'.. the other player would waste their time trying to take out neutrals? and what if they got wretched dice and had 1's everywhere from over-extending themselves? what then? a 4 day battle against a bunch of neutrals.. no thanks. lol.

it's an interesting idea, but not one i see making it into gameplay.

Spazm

Ambassador
Awesome Player
There is a secret surrender button, but only on certain maps...if you hold shift and click on France 3 times in a row, you forfeit the game.

zspBANNED

Awesome Player
There is a secret surrender button, but only on certain maps...if you hold shift and click on France 3 times in a row, you forfeit the game.

Actually, I found an easier way. By simply pressing ALT F4, you automatically surrender. Or automatically win. It's pretty random. This is a bug that someone will have to look into...

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
Actually, I found an easier way. By simply pressing ALT F4, you automatically surrender. Or automatically win. It's pretty random. This is a bug that someone will have to look into...

... that is the lamest joke ever. anyone with a mind knows what happens when you press ALT F4... lol.

temudjin

Awesome Player
I strongly suggest adding an option to resign. All the 'Go' playing sites in the world have this option. It simply counts as a loss. People in the Go community don't abuse this feature. What are you supposed to do then if for whatever reason you want or need to leave a game? Does the opposing player have to sit there and play against a non existent opponent for the duration of the game? That's ridiculous... I'm not sure what happens.

I started a game this evening, someone joined and was a no show for the first round. Am I just supposed to walk away and let the game hang? And then they show up and finish me off while I'm away? Well, I stuck around and attacked everywhere on the board to hasten the end, something i would never do in an actual game. And then with 2 minutes left in their 2nd round they showed up and proceeded to wipe out all the 1's i'd left behind, take deferred troops, and basically start the game with an army twice as large as mine.

Also, in Go, there is the option of choosing to 'pass'. In this game it would have been nice to start over, since we both agreed things were hopelessly out of balance because of the dumb beginning, and would have liked to just start a fresh game. Couldn't both players simply choose to at least 'pass' ? and then it would be scored as a draw. There needs to be some way to put an end to games... for a multitude of reasons.

~temudjin

stonebergftw

Awesome Player
What's the rule with AWOL? After the first AWOL round, do all the rest of the players have to continue to wait 24 hours again? That's the main issue here.

lh34

Awesome Player
Maybe have an AWOL option, but a surrender button will ruin the game. People will surrender way too often

MTR

Awesome Player
I think that there should only be a resign button in 1v1 games.

Thunderous

Ambassador
Awesome Player
I strongly suggest adding an option to resign. All the 'Go' playing sites in the world have this option. It simply counts as a loss. People in the Go community don't abuse this feature. What are you supposed to do then if for whatever reason you want or need to leave a game? Does the opposing player have to sit there and play against a non existent opponent for the duration of the game? That's ridiculous... I'm not sure what happens.

I started a game this evening, someone joined and was a no show for the first round. Am I just supposed to walk away and let the game hang? And then they show up and finish me off while I'm away? Well, I stuck around and attacked everywhere on the board to hasten the end, something i would never do in an actual game. And then with 2 minutes left in their 2nd round they showed up and proceeded to wipe out all the 1's i'd left behind, take deferred troops, and basically start the game with an army twice as large as mine.

Also, in Go, there is the option of choosing to 'pass'. In this game it would have been nice to start over, since we both agreed things were hopelessly out of balance because of the dumb beginning, and would have liked to just start a fresh game. Couldn't both players simply choose to at least 'pass' ? and then it would be scored as a draw. There needs to be some way to put an end to games... for a multitude of reasons.

~temudjin

with your situation, temudjin, if you both believe it to be unfair you could both choose to AWOL, the game would then disappear and neither of you loss any points, basically drawing the game

What's the rule with AWOL? After the first AWOL round, do all the rest of the players have to continue to wait 24 hours again? That's the main issue here.

im pretty if a play does not play a turn for two rounds, they go AWOL. After they go AWOL they get skipped each turn, so no, the rest of the players do not have to wait 24 hours for that player.