• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

The Tournament Generator

Lokiskittens

Awesome Player
League of Gentlepeople
So this is so typical of our society today.

There are plenty of unfairness but right now I want to put a bandaid on this, not fix the problem.

The tournament generator has several problems of which I want to point out two.
- Points should be deducted when the tournament starts, not when a player signs up.
- Tourney officers/creators should go through the ranks and delete players that are AWOL

Having AWOL players suck, so does getting screwed by the drop in 1 v 1 games. I have had my share (on both sides) so lets just move along, nothing to see, these are not the droids you are looking for.

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
Talkig about that game, I just started my turn and left the clock run, due that jeff skipped his turn, sebrim has a point it s a common situation in tourneys and a risk we take when we join a tourney, besides, what wouls happen if an awols team win a side game?

AuraCraft

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Tourney officers/creators should go through the ranks and delete players that are AWOL
good idea, +1... if that's possible with the current tournament engine(?) I assume currently a tournament starts as soon as it's filled up with the required number of participants... that would need to be re-coded so a tournament starts after the operator manually makes it start, which seems a lot of work for the operator? checking a few dozen profiles for activity? might be easier if not logging on for over 24? hours automatically kicks one out of the participants list (if it has teams rounds)

Having AWOL players sucks, so does getting screwed by the drop in 1 v 1 games
the problem with drops in 1 vs 1 games is, two players will never agree on whatever sidegame will be fair to both coz there's always the 1st player advantage besides the drop. With larger numbers of players, the drop becomes less influential.
Also, that's 1 vs 1 and this is 5 vs 6, you can't compare the two. In this case there's a simple solution available.

Last edited:

AuraCraft

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Tourney officers/creators should go through the ranks and delete players that are AWOL
if this is possible (?)
there are a few tournaments that havent started yet with team games and awols. (engineerairborne at least)
thats gonna suck

A

ann5

The fans of tabletop games or so called board games organize tournaments and it works pretty well. Btw.. My sister is 11 and she's into miniatures and all this "minis world" Does anybody have any experience with it? She looks for opinions about:

https://shop.army-case.com/

Maybe you could help me out with the topic.

AuraCraft

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Last edited:

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I've started a Guidelines Topic to resolve situations like this one.

Clarkenfeld started a topic to resolve a tournament round 1 issue so I asked ppl who replied in that topic to share their neutral and objective opinions in this matter too
(coz so far, of 12 players involved, only 3 players really have a problem with a sidegame; they won't reply to counter arguements and the rest of us seem to not care enough to plee for a proper solution)

I'm OK with your solutions, but only if it's unanimous; every player in the game has to agree to a sidegame. Otherwise, the game has to continue as-is.

AuraCraft

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
that does seem fair but...
to summarize; the awol's team members +1 enemy joined; only 2/3 (out of 6) of the opposing team objected; I debunked their arguments but they didnt respond to that. I don't expect concensus in this kind of situation.
a minority decides; no sidegame, free pass to the the next round.

Last edited:

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
that does seem fair but...
to summarize; the awol's team members +1 enemy joined; only 2/3 (out of 6) of the opposing team objected; I debunked their arguments but they didnt respond to that. I don't expect concensus in this kind of situation.
a minority decides; no sidegame, free pass to the the next round.

And that's 'the way it is'. You can't FORCE someone to play a side game. If ONE person says no, then no it is and the game continues. Sorry for the team with an awol player, but it happens to everyone once in a while. You just have to accept it and move on.

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
https://www.majorcommand.com/tournaments/2224/
1 we could do a side game of 5 vs 5 where one of the opposing team members doesnt participate,
2 or a 6 vs 6 with a volunteer player on our side instead of our awol.
3 Or ask the opposing team to eliminate our awol first.

Oh boy. Solution #1 and #2 would work outside of tournies (but I think I would just go awol and leave the game altogether if it wasn't a tourney).

#3 would change the game completely, and if the other team would agree on killing your awoler first, all you guys had to do was to try and insulate and protect the missing player. Not good.

And I don't really like #1 and #2 either, if you win flyhi will advance to the final as well where you have to start the whole shebang all over again.

I think I would just take this hit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I agree it sucks. :-/

AuraCraft

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
@cards and th/child - thanks for your (neutral) feedback. that makes it easier to accept

@th-child - 1 I wouldn't join a sidegame to determine the outcome of a casual game. 2 I have gone awol to make it an equal game for 5 opponents (casual)
3 I dont think so; the team with the awol is losing by 3 units each round by keeping the awol alive. I think I would pick an enemy target to eliminate instead.
If the team with the awol (flyhi) wins, flyhi will be an awol in the last round which is not a teams game, so no problem.
I have gone awol like you suggest; some opponent called me a pussy for not playing (against impossible odds)

AuraCraft

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Do they Know it's Christmas ~ Band Aid 1984
"heal !? CONQUER the world, let them know it's Christmas":santaclaus:

a 16 player tournament so it fills up before Christmas is over?

R1) 2 x quads, 1 anywhere, escalite?
R2) 2 x doubles, 1 anywhere, flat rate?
R3) 1 doubles, 1 anywhere, flat rate?
R4) 1 vs 1, 1 path, escalAte?

I googled images and found an 30 yrs older artists' faces compilation which might be used

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
Crusades Tourney

Would be great to have a Crusades Tournament. Last one I remember seeing was Barbarossa Total War. Seems most Crusades games on the regular section haven't filled lately for various reasons. Let's get a tourney going here!

Am a noob to Crusades, so not sure whether bigger or smaller maps play better. Seems that on smaller maps, more dice luck, but game is quicker. Larger maps may take longer, but allow strategy to be a more important factor. Chose larger maps for the crusades in two of these tourneys. A smaller map quick crusades tourney would be fun also.

Three Tournaments:

Tournament One:
Name: " Vikings Crusade: Sigurd the Crusader"
Picture: Attachment with the horseman in the middle
Description: "Crusades! Sigurd and his troops sailed from Norway in the autumn of 1107 with sixty ships and around 5,000 men. Then on the way to the Holy Land, they partied in Ibiza, or raided it, accounts are sketchy.

In this match, 24 warriors will battle. Two teams of twelve clash until only one team remains. Winners are split into sixers, then triples, and an assassin final."

*24 total players

R1: Crusades (one game), Rivals of Rome, flat rate, one, border, chance
R2: Sixers (one game), British Isles, flat rate, one, border, chance
R3: Triples (one game), Classic Antiquus, escalite, one, border, chance
R4: Assassin (one game), Middle East, flat rate, one, path, chance

Tournament Two (will fill slower):
Name: "Crusades: 48 Combatants, 2 Winners"
Picture: Attachment with the giant
Description: "Solving problems isn't really so difficult. A time tested method is to form a large team and lay a smackdown on an opponent who takes the other side of the argument. Winning the battle means imposing their will!

The tourney features a Crusades opener, followed by a Crusades second round, then Sixers, and finally a doubles champion crowns a pair of victors."

*48 total players

R1: Crusades (two games), Classic Massive, flat rate, one, border, chance
R2: Crusades (one game), Europe Massive, flat rate, one, border, chance
R3: Sixers (one game), Australia, flat rate, one, border, chance
R4: Doubles (one game, three teams) North America, escalite, one, path, chance

Tournament Three:
Name: " And You Call Yourself a Crusader"
Picture: Attachment with shielded warriors
Description: "Can you Crusade? In this match, 24 warriors will get one shot to prove their mettle. An intense battle for survival. Two teams of twelve will each have a single tert per player to begin. Lose that tert, lose that player! Winners are split into sixers, then triples, and an assassin final."

*24 total players

R1: Crusades (one game), Forgotten Kingdom, flat rate, one, border, chance
R2: Sixers (one game), Cold War Europe, flat rate, one, border, chance
R3: Triples (one game), 1984, escalite, one, border, chance
R4: Assassin (one game), Duck & Cover, flat rate, one, path, chance

Attachments

• Tournament 1 Image - Vikings Crusade.jpg
    Tournament 1 Image - Vikings Crusade.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Crusade 2.png
    Crusade 2.png
    863.7 KB · Views: 72
  • Crusade 3.png
    Crusade 3.png
    858.1 KB · Views: 64

AuraCraft

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
48? by the time it's filled up one or two combatants will have quit, spoiling the team games.

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
Thanks Tape, truly awesome

48? by the time it's filled up one or two combatants will have quit, spoiling the team games.

Will keep an eye on it. Will be great if we get a full roster of active participants.

AuraCraft

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
it would be great :)
but not realistic

current large numbers tournaments awaiting players
38/42 created Sep 2 2019
37/48 - created Sep 16 2019
you don't get more than that within a month

This one has 49 players. created Jul 30 / started Nov 6. singles games so np

48p Similar tournament; R1 = 2 crusades games. created Jul 13 2018 / May 30 2019
48p another 2 crusades tournament; created Jun 14 2018 / started May 15 2019
48p, R1 = 3 quads games / created Jul 13 2018 / started Apr 1 2019

I love teams tournaments, flat rate crusade too, but I think 24 is the only suitable number of crusade tournament combatants
32 is the maximum amount of players you can expect to join without awols