• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Large Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneEyed

Awesome Player
Good thing, Shepherd. Some minor points:

a) the Balkans shouldn't be one command. Maybe former Yugoslavia as one, and then Albania as single-tert command and Bulgaria as a double tert command.

b) Then, you could also group the Caucasus states together, as with Benelux and Baltics.

c) The capital of Turkey is Ankara, not Istanbul. The capital of former Yugoslavia was Belgrade, not Sarajevo.

d) I don't like numerous of the sear outes, which don't make sense, but that's nitty gritty and can be dealt with later.

e) +1 to OneEyed's idea of making Sweden and Finland both four regions

agreed. also Kosovo could be removed.

OneEyed

linkinpark

Awesome Player
Generals
The Embassy
I think currently, the regions don't really correspond to real political subdivisions. Just as en example, Germany:
Germany_FederalStatesMap.jpg

The southern region should really be Bavaria+Baden-Württemberg, the eastern region more like former East Germany and so on.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter

smi

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
why I agreed or why Kosovo could be removed?

OneEyed

If the desition about kosovo being a separate terr. is to be based on historical and not gameplay criteria, here is a map of countries that recognise it as an independant country :

CountriesRecognizingKosovo.svg

OneEyed

Awesome Player

linkinpark

Awesome Player
Generals
The Embassy
Kosovo is much, much different story as Israel or China. look how much other regions in Europe have the same status, would they be also represent in map?

OneEyed

You can't really compare Kosovo with regions such as Abkhazia or Transnistria. Kosovo is recognized by 108 UN member states, which is the majority. All other regions you're referring to are <4. And actually Kosovo, South Ossetia and Taiwan are already on current MajCom maps (Balkans, Middle East and SE Asia). So why change that?

linkinpark

Awesome Player
Generals
The Embassy
Well, this shouldn't be about politics, so back to Shepherds map: Tbh, I don't think the Balkans command should be split, there are already way enough commands. So I'd say grouping the caucasus regions together would be a good idea as well. I'm also wondering if Iceland could be just one region because there are about 200.000 inhabitants in the capital region of Reykjavik, which is 2/3 of the country's population. The rest is like a few tiny villages.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
OK, lets do this by users of this site. The VAST majority are from USA, Canada, Western Europe. Next would be our Aussie friends. Add those up and you have over 95% of MajCom users. ALL of our countries recognize Kosovo as an independent state..... SO, IMO, there is no reason not to have Kosovo an independent state on this map.

Not that this is a democracy, but I think my point is made.

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
If you were to invade Kosovo tomorrow you would be fighting a different defense force than if you invaded Serbia. Likewise, if somebody invaded Serbia, I highly doubt that the people of Kosovo would rise up in arms in Serbia's defense. Militarily they are independent.

So for the purposes of a game of war, I think Kosovo should be represented as a separate region to be conquered and occupied.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I think currently, the regions don't really correspond to real political subdivisions.
I agree - in fact I expressed this a few pages ago. Easy to change.

thenoahw

Awesome Player
I apologize for my absence on this thread, I have been sick and a little behind in school work.

I really like Shepherd's map. My personal notes:
I know my sea routes are hideous, I was just trying to give people an idea of what i imagined
i know my borders are not 100% accurate because for many I have to clump real subdivisions together in ways that would likely piss of the natives, but i did it for spacial reasons
I think Bulgaria should be a two-tert command, Frm Yugo as a command, and I like taking albania out of that is a one tert command
I think Kosovo should stay
I would like to maintain Iceland as more than one tert
I think the caucasus states should be one command (such as the baltics)
and I think that is it

jasmine1978

Awesome Player
Los Bambinos
The Borg
Here's what this map would look like if every country were its own bonus with the troops auto-deployed to the capitals. I've taken the liberty of grouping the Baltic States, BeNeLux, and the Balkans; I've also split Austria, Czech Republic, and Hungary to make them two region commands. There are obviously no impassables drawn in as of yet. And I've know I've probably screwed up some of thenoah's intended regions and borders - please speak up if I have.

I can see this being an interesting map to play. We would have to code all of the single-region countries a neutral starts, and I'd suggest also coding one half of each two-region command neutral to avoid games failing to start (game engine issue). But with over 100 regions (somebody else can do the counting - my eyes hurt) I think that would be fine. The benefit of all the neutral starts is that players who rush to grab small bonuses are doing do by attacking neutrals rather than their opponents - I see this as a good thing.

What I like is that the little bonuses are spread out all over the map. Portugal and Andorra in the southwest, Iceland and Ireland northwest, the Caucasus in the east, Cyprus and Malta at the bottom of the map, and a whole bunch of fun little bonuses smack in the middle of the map.

olN5toe.jpg

this looks great sheperd u r a clever little fellow designing these maps ;-) i wish i had the skills to design them, when will it be ready for battle??? i'm keen to win a tourney on "EUROPA-LAND"

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
this looks great sheperd u r a clever little fellow designing these maps ;-) i wish i had the skills to design them, when will it be ready for battle??? i'm keen to win a tourney on "EUROPA-LAND"
Thanks Jasmine. There is some movement behind the scenes to make this map happen - I have no timeline so don't hold your breath. We'll still happily accept any gameplay-related comments of concerns here in this forum.

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
I haven't read many of the comments, so perhaps I am repeating some ideas here:

* Does Kalingrad have to be part of Russia? Could it not be part of The Baltic States or Poland?

* Regions with only 1 region, maybe just 1 auto-deploy on them if they have a capital but no +1 to due troops?

* Ship Route from Portugal and Ireland? Right now Portugal is stuck as part of Spain, and Ireland in the UK! I don't like the gameplay involved when entire regions are locked into other regions - once you get the inside one, you're almost guaranteed the outside one and vice versa!

* Any Shipping Routes in The Black Sea other than Crimea - Russia? Could make Turkey a bit more of a challenge, but that ones unneeded.

I really like the design of the map, not too sure about the colours but this is looking gooood!

OneEyed

Awesome Player
what is with this map? I think this is the best map which could be made now. it does not need waits for recoding (the bonuses are clear).

OneEyed

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
what is with this map? I think this is the best map which could be made now. it does not need waits for recoding (the bonuses are clear).
Patience, grasshopper. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.