• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Large Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenoahw

Awesome Player
Europe Massive

Newest version in post #97

Jasmine1978 asked about a large Euro map on the site. I know it has been said before that the map makers would like to see the ideas flowing from some other places too since we have a lot of maps centered in Europe, BUTTTT since I had this map laying around from another project I'm doing here at home I thought I'd post it and see what everyone thought.

In the detailed map the brown impassibles are mountains and the blue are rivers. Also, every colour set in ONE TERRITORY, I know that it looks like France is composed of 20 territories, but it is not. In the case of France, the entire red group there is one territory. I didn't have to take out the line for my project at home so I didn't do it just for majcom.

In the second map, that is a really rough map of the commands I had in mind. I have not assigned and values to the commands. I wanted to see what you all thought they should be based on the detailed map and seeing how the borders were.

Also, I like jasmine1978's idea about including auto-deploy for places where capitals are. Maybe for this map we could take the top ten largest cities in Europe and make them their own territories completely inside of the map's tert for where they are located in real life. Just an idea, I dont know if the map would be big enough for that right now but I'm throwing it out there.

Thoughts and opinions?

Attachments

• Europe Large.png
    Europe Large.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Commands map ROUGH.png
    Commands map ROUGH.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:

jasmine1978

Awesome Player
Los Bambinos
The Borg
yep that's pretty much what i had in mind i think a similar map to the current classic massive so the pic on the left would be the one 2 go for but yeah the pic on the right gives u a vague idea of different commands i used 2 play on a site called "WARGEAR" & they have a really gud detailed map on there of europe but i prefer MAJCOM the people on this site r alot nicer ;-) & also to have 10 or 12 main capital cities with auto-deploy would be great i wander what sheperd will think? & how does he design these maps??? can i help???

OneEyed

Awesome Player
map of Europe would be fine. there is allready map of Cold War in Europe, but the modern European map could be done.
the question is make it a little funy as USA map or make it staid? the capitals are also good idea.
I do not like commands as are shown in second thenoahws map. the commands could be setup by any naturel dividing of Europe.

OneEyed

jasmine1978

Awesome Player
Los Bambinos
The Borg
i just found a couple of quirky maps that could be used for europe & if it does ever become a reality i would like it to be called "EUROPA-LAND"

Attachments

• 287.png
    287.png
    347.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 291.gif
    291.gif
    172.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 851.png
    851.png
    730.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 3237.png
    3237.png
    660.7 KB · Views: 89

OneEyed

Awesome Player
I think some big countries could be as small command as part of big command.
lets say Germany could be part of Western europe command. so Germany +1, Western europe +5.

OneEyed

PS: if idea will have any support (especialy from cartographers) I could make quick draft.

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
I'd love to see a really huge european map. I proposed something similar a couple of years back:

https://www.majorcommand.com/forums/threads/5272-IDEA-Europe-In-Turmoil

I had the same idea of utilizing the capital cities for a special twist. Feel free to take inspiration!

P.S the map on the page linked is absoultely MASSIVE and will take a few minutes to load up...

thenoahw

Awesome Player
I can make another map. I'll try and make it a little larger. Right now it has 49 terts and I'll try to get to at least 75.

And I like the idea of getting troops for each tert. I don't know if we have a map without commands but I would like to see one. There would still be a strategy to it because I imagine that the income would be based of realistic populations of the regions.

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
I enjoied this thread. A big to massive size Europe map would be great. I like the Capital city auto deploy idea. I also like the idea of smaller command bonuses inside larger ones. Like Far East Asia's map. Your last idea, thenoahw. How about making command bonuses, but just small. It could all work. Like the idea about Germany/Western Europe by OneEyed. How about Germany would be worth 1, while all of Western Europe only 2 or 3. Just trying to help. I hope you keep working on this thenoahw. Plus Masterjskye has some good ideas. Keep it up guys. jasmine this is the only site that I've played risk on, but it doesn't surprise me that you like this one best. Cool people, great maps, overall excellent community. Your title for the map is cool. Being that you like it so much. I hope it's considered.:alberteinstein:

thenoahw

Awesome Player
Looking at my map here, I don't see how we could do the capitals as independent territories. there just isn't enough room and unlike the British Isles map we have on the site, there isn't enough water to put city pop-outs. So I am suggesting that every region that in reality holds that nations capital, the location of the capital just be marked with a black dot and this region be given an autodeploy +1. I will be doing that on my map.

Before I finish up this one and put it out though, any other thoughts on how else we could do the capitals??

Oggyyy

Awesome Player
The Borg
I like where this is going.

Going to think about the capitals for a solution

OneEyed

Awesome Player
I have a little look at this idea. there is no space for capitals everywhere. and if you make all regions which are states with capital +1 autodeploy, there would be too much of them, I am afraid.
I have maybe any idea (do not know if it will works without draft), so if you can I can do quick draft.

OneEyed

thenoahw

Awesome Player
I was only going to place maybe capitals 10 capitals on the map. Only those of the largest nations or whichever capical cities were the most populated in their region. So I would stick with places like London, Paris, Rome, Moscow, Berlin, Istanbul, Madrid, Belgrade maybe, Warsaw, maybe Oslo or Stockholm so the north could have another.

And yes OE, I'd love to see a draft of you have the time to make a rough one of your idea.
Thoughts our comments?

OneEyed

Awesome Player
here is quick draft. do not look at graphics and so on. also some mountains could be added, some capitals could be removed, some regions could be added or removed. its just idea how Europe map could looks.

capitals +1 autodeploy

yellow (southern europe - spain, italy, andorra, portugal, malta)
spain +4
italy +3
southern europe +9

blue (western europe - france, germany, belgium, holland, luxembourg, switzerland)
france +5
germany +3
western europe +10

dark red (brittish isles - united kingdom, ireland)
united kingdom +4
brittish isles +5

orange (scandinavia - norway, sweden, finland, denmark, iceland)
norway +2
sweden +3
finland +2
scandinavia +9

brown (central europe - poland, cech republic, slovakia, hungary, austria)
poland +2
central europe +6

light red (balkans - romania, serbia, greece, bulgaria, slovenia, croatia, bosnia, macedonia, albania, montenegro)
romania +1
serbia +1
greece +2
balkans +11

grey (anatolia+caucasus - turkey, armenia, azerbajian, georgia, cyprus)
turkey +5
anatolia+caucasus +8

light blue (eastern europe - ukraine, belorussia, estonia, latvia, lithuania, moldavia)
ukraine +4
belorussia +1
eastern europe +9

green (russian federation - russia, krym, kaliningrad)
russia +5
russian federation +8

europa_02.png

OneEyed

thenoahw

Awesome Player
I Love it, OneEyed. It is very similar to the one I have made. I used the regions found on the wikipedia page that was posted in the thread earlier.

In my maps:
The first one shows the terts.
-There's 140
-The colour scheme indicated the 5 regions
-Northern Europe, Western Europe, Iberia, Southern Europe, and the biggest: Eastern Europe
-The 10 terts with black dots contain one of the top 15 most populated cities in Europe
-I plan an autodeploy +1 every turn. I have not yet included impassibles.
-The smallest tert is Northern Ireland (which is included in the Ireland command)

The second map is of the commands.
-As it stands, no nation command is higher than +2.
-Some could easily and logically raised to a +3.
-The very light reds, blues, and greens are part of the regions, but no smaller country commands
-I did not include region bonuses because I wanted to get feedback on that and suggestions.

PS: every colour is one tert, not 25. I wont be cleaning it up until the cartographers are looking for a more final draft

Thoughts? comments? Outright disgust?

Attachments

• Europe Larger greeen-yellow borders.png
    Europe Larger greeen-yellow borders.png
    368.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Europe Larger commands.png
    Europe Larger commands.png
    713.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

thenoahw

Awesome Player
I am going to go in and clean it up some aND look at adding some airports here too. I never put in the sea routes so I will be doing that as well.
Are there any bottlenecks or anything of that nature that anyone sees? If there are I want to change then so one day this can be playable.

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Thoughts? comments? Outright disgust?
Disgust, no... big maps are in demand, and Europe makes sense for a second map.

Personally I'd like to see some larger commands - while it's nice to have small commands to allow players to get off to a decent start, some big regions also provide buffers and make for interesting battle grounds. I'm nervous that in a map with so many quick bonuses, the player who gets lucky in the first round or two could parlay that luck into a pretty sizable advantage. That said, the larger commands that you do have don't seem to be worth the bonus they've been allotted - for example, by my count Turkey has seven regions and is only good for +2?

Sea routes are needed of course, but airports? These days every region on this map would have an airport, so I'd vote no.

As far as bottlenecks, to me bottlenecks aren't necessarily a bad thing. The middle of this map is a free-for-all; I'd say rivers and mountains are the next thing to find room for.

PS: every colour is one tert, not 25. I wont be cleaning it up until the cartographers are looking for a more final draft.
Don't worry too much about cleaning things up - if this map reaches the point that it's going to go into production we'll worry about the visuals then. We take a different approach to mapmaking from some of the other sites out there, and we're not going to make you go through months of turmoil trying to make it look the way we want it to look.

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
If you wanted to include airports in your Europe map, but as Shepherd noted every region would have one.

What if you went back to the 20's or 30's when airports were pretty new and there were a limited number. Other options would be trains, which are more linear in how they must be defended and still allow you to skip a number of regions in between.

Just for fun, here's a fun link describing air travel in the 30's:

http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/what-international-air-travel-was-like-in-the-1930s-1471258414

thenoahw

Awesome Player
The idea was to have nation commands and then region commands on top of that. I understand what you mean by it being too easy to attain an advantage early on but I thought that would be countered by the size of the map and the large number of small commands. I think that would really only be a problem in a 1v1 game which I dont think should be played on a massive map anyway.

I had definitely thought about upping some of the nation commands up to a +3 and Turkey was one of those seven. I dont know if I would want to go higher than a +3, maybe a +4 on any nation commands because they are relative to the rest of the board, very small. Plus, once impassibles are put in place none of them should have more than maybe 4 borders to defend.

I need some help with the sea routes too because I am having trouble finding the balance between too much (making the board look cluttered) and not enough (not adequately connecting the regions). I wanted to maintain a command for the 5-10 largest port regions in Europe but Im pretty sure there would need to be more terts connecting to overseas than this. right now I have Odessa, one in Greece, Southern Italy, Gibraltar, Northern France, Copenhagen, Helsinki, one in Estonia, and then Stockholm. I would imagine that command would be large because without diplomatic agreements every single one would need to be defended. What are thoughts on that?

And I am currently working on a copy with impassibles. the big challenge in in the Eastern and East-central areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.