• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Ability to block certain players from joining your games (Foes)

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
While I agree with the idea of wanting to play with a select few friends I am very conscious that this could be a very poor 'improvement' if all angles are not considered.
I seem to recall a thread where Card's reviewed his honour listings and found DeadGirl (??? sorry if my memory is incorrect) was listed on the wrong side of honour. Imagine a site where decisions based on a moment's action had a lasting impact. like DeadGirl (or anyone listed as dishonourable on his sheet) not being able to join games that Card's was involved in. My dishonour list is relatively long (I think) because it doesn't really matter to me, it is just a way of venting. I might have vented by declaring someone dishonourable but it does not mean I do not want to play against them.

I can imagine other ways of doing things but it needs coding, perhaps a lot of coding. And I'm sure there is plenty of work to do anyway.

Of course, if someone can come up with a way where I can properly stop one or three idiots from joining games I'm involved in, I'm all for it.

It wasn't Deadgirl. Certainly never had any reason to mark her dishonorable.

Tyro

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Sorry Card's, it must be my faulty memory.
For clarification and to confirm I didn't mean to impugn anyone, my memory of the thread was it read something like:
the honour system is flawed, I [the person who made the post] recently noted that I had marked [someone other than DeadGirl :)] as not honourable. I can't imagine why I [OP} did that because we all know them to be honourable.
Any system that is developed that works would need to be a little more than binary and I'm not sure it is worth the effort at the moment. One day, perhaps?

Dalinar

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
Just to clarify because some people described some messier options - I think a reasonable implementation would let you start a public game but ban certain people from joining that game. I'd prefer an implementation where the person doesn't even know you did it - your game doesn't show up when they go to look for a game or something like that. Less ill will that way, I'd think. As others have said though, it seems like it'd be a lot of coding.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
No offense taken by me, Tyro, I hope none be Deadgirl either. I definitely favor Dalinars ideas.

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
I will keep it simple and someone already stated it, so I will confirm.

It wont work on tourneys
It is your choice to stay or drop out
We dont have the roll call to have everyone be stopping people from joining. There is already a shortage of players in casual games IMHO

That is why password games are available.

If someone is being that guy, report them. I had a run in years ago with Colon-El-Mustardo where i refused to play him. Valid reasons as far as I was concerned. A note to the mod's got him to stop joining any game i was in.

LordAdef

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Just to clarify because some people described some messier options - I think a reasonable implementation would let you start a public game but ban certain people from joining that game. I'd prefer an implementation where the person doesn't even know you did it - your game doesn't show up when they go to look for a game or something like that. Less ill will that way, I'd think. As others have said though, it seems like it'd be a lot of coding.

Hey Dalinar!

Look, in my humble opinion this selective criteria will kill some of the fun and expectation of MajCom.
Let's say:
-- you ban me for whatever reason (say it I am a bad player),
-- I ban you because I know you beat me all the time
-- johnnybegood ban us because we are agressive players and he soly wants cautious players in there. Or newbies
-- Halfshhot5712 bans marlonbrando69 because he broke his command last week
-- FredFlinston bans AgathaChristie because he can't read her books
-- WE ban "that guy"----$$$

It is currently very hard to fill games as it is. I have many ones on hold for weeks waiting for players.

Whatever, maybe all I said is bollocks. But... In the end all of this is because of two or three player at most. And I bet the names are common "Persona non grata" to most of us.. Just sayin.. :)

So, this could work IF the honour system/rate played a role in it.
Like :
-- you can't ban someone with 1000, but you can for players with less than 600
-- a person with less than 50% honour can be banned
Something like that

Raken

Awesome Player
That seems way to complicated. If you don't like playing with someone just don't join games they are in. If it is for a legit reason, talk to an admin otherwise just beat them until they no longer want to play you.

DeadGirl

Awesome Player
I've never really understood my low honour rating. :)

Oneharleyrocker

Awesome Player
Cheaters, block list

It would really be useful if you could give us an option of blocking players from joining the same game. I have met and played load of low lives cheaters playing doubles on a singles game, using 2 accounts, playing poor games etc...

Is there a way to block them ????

PS. I am really fed up with poor players and cheaters who lack the sense of strategy and mathematics

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
I don't like the idea of blocking players, how would that work in tournaments?

People could just block the people they think are really good that they don't want to play so then they won't have to face them!

I would have 1 or 2 people to put on my block list anyway, but it would have to be a system that couldn't be abused!

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
It probably wouldn't work in Tournaments. It would probably just be an option when setting up a regular game, along with other options, like a newbie not wanting an experienced player to join. It's a legit request.

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
So if you were setting up a game perhaps in the settings you could say what ranks you want or don't want joining, and you can also put up a reverse invite list (block list) where certain people would be unable to see some games that you set up?

If that were the case it would seem far more reasonable than what I was thinking!

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
I'd argue that this is fine in a casual setting that doesn't earn points for scoreboard reasons.

I made a post a while back about a blind ladder system which I would still endorse, but would argue against being able to block any players from that.

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
Some players join close to 100 games and the games they don't play well in. The go AWOL. I would block those players.

CoventryBANNED

Awesome Player
Blocking Or Banning Bad People From Joining Your Games

I wish you guys would come up with a way to make sure that when you start game that you can ban certain bad people from joining your games. Is this possible?

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
I wish you guys would come up with a way to make sure that when you start game that you can ban certain bad people from joining your games. Is this possible?

With the current game engine/code base, no, it is not possible.

It is something that has been given a lot of thought to in the past (as a perusal of this thread shows).

I don't know when/if it will come about.

F15FreeEagle

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
T.O's.
I would love to be able to block certain players from joining games that I am in. As has been suggested, I would like this to be "in the hands of the user," but with a very small number players they can block at any given time (say 5, maybe?) And of course if you join a tournament, you're going to have the possibility of "running into" a player you have "blocked."

Fortunately for me, there is only 1 player I have ran into that I would use this feature on (2, really, but the other got himself banned haha) and this particular player does not join many games at all. :)

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Not sure if this is currently in the recode, if it is, it's down the priority list a ways. I'd like to see it as an option, with limits, as F15 suggested. Personally, I can't think of anyone that I'd block at the moment, but you never know.....