• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Ability to block certain players from joining your games (Foes)

uscg

Awesome Player
Just curious if there is a Foe Button in the works or if there is one, where is it?

uscg

Awesome Player
The foe button would be used just like your friends list with a few differences. Pretty much, if you don't like how a person plays the game or is rude in chat and is a constant AWOL abuser, you could foe that person and they would not be able to join your games.

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
WE have something like that in development. It's a tricky thing to balance tho and we want to make sure its not abused.

uscg

Awesome Player
i understand 100%. thanks for the update

mapguy

Awesome Player
WE have something like that in development. It's a tricky thing to balance tho and we want to make sure its not abused.

OK how about this boss man. Make it so that only a Mod can authorize the "foe". That way you will not get players foeing each other because they fear loosing to a better player. If a person really has a personal problem with another player, he can simply lobby a Mod and ask for the "foe".

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
OK how about this boss man. Make it so that only a Mod can authorize the "foe".
Interesting idea, though as a moderator I'm not wild about the idea of giving myself work that a user could do even more easily and efficiently than I could. Not really a good use of my time.

I'd rather put this power directly in the hands of the user, but with limited power and scope.

That way you will not get players foeing each other because they fear loosing to a better player.
Huh, it hadn't occurred to me that somebody could start foeing everyone better than themselves... stacking the deck so to speak so all of that players' games are against weaker opponents. Would it work to just put a cap on how many foes a user can have? If there's a limit of, say, eight you can't very well keep out everyone better than you (unless you're in the top nine scorers!), and anyone who has made mortal enemies of more than eight other users probably needs to examine his/her own behavior! :)

Tree-of-Souls

Awesome Player
I'd rather put this power directly in the hands of the user, but with limited power and scope.

That seems a lot more plausible than looking at each foe(ing) case on an individual basis. Maybe some restrictions relating to their relationship with the player being foed, for example they must have played 2 or more games together so it wouldn't be motivated by poor sportsmanship)?

mapguy

Awesome Player
Interesting idea, though as a moderator I'm not wild about the idea of giving myself work that a user could do even more easily and efficiently than I could. Not really a good use of my time.

Huh, it hadn't occurred to me that somebody could start foeing everyone better than themselves... stacking the deck so to speak so all of that players' games are against weaker opponents. Would it work to just put a cap on how many foes a user can have? If there's a limit of, say, eight you can't very well keep out everyone better than you (unless you're in the top nine scorers!), and anyone who has made mortal enemies of more than eight other users probably needs to examine his/her own behavior! :)
I was thinking more of just using it as an additional Mod power. So that along the course of moderating, it could be levied as the Mod sees fit. It would be akin to sending them to their rooms for a time out. It would therefore be perceived as a punishment rather than something that players "Do" to each other. For this reason I suggest that it be called a "Time Out".

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I was thinking more of just using it as an additional Mod power. So that along the course of moderating, it could be levied as the Mod sees fit. It would be akin to sending them to their rooms for a time out.
Ah, I see where you're going with it. Give mods the powers to hand out "restraining orders" so to speak. But I'd still be in favor of letting users generate their own (limited) foe lists.

Maybe some restrictions relating to their relationship with the player being foed, for example they must have played 2 or more games together so it wouldn't be motivated by poor sportsmanship)?
That's what I'm talking about - limits so the foe list can't be abused. In this particular case I'd like to point out that the only users I've foed on other game sites are users who I found offensive or annoying in the forums, not actually in games. Sometimes you make enemies in the forums and you don't want them following you into a game.

Tree-of-Souls

Awesome Player
I've foed on other game sites are users who I found offensive or annoying in the forums, not actually in games. Sometimes you make enemies in the forums and you don't want them following you into a game.

I'm a bit different. I only foed people for game-related stuff- so it'd be great if there was a check-box or something, i.e. Foe: <username> Games [X] Forum posts [-]

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Vbulletin already has an ignore feature. its not streamlined into Mc proper so i prefer not to release it publically, but if anyone wants to know, note me.

Evan

Jr. Programmer I
O.G.
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
anti-invite / foes

I would like the ability to prevent certain people from joining my games.

codanostra

switching to missiles!
O.G.
Awesome Player
It's kinda funny that the guy who built the site has to make feature requests lol

Evan: I would like the ability to prevent certain people from joining my games.
Evan: Make a feature request.
Evan:Evan: That's what i'm doing bro.
Evan: Well honestly i've got a lot on my plate so this is gonna have to go to the bottom of the list.
Evan:Evan: Oh hey, sure, i'm not expecting any miracles. Just when you get around to it.
Evan: Can you believe this guy?

Last edited:

VictorSullivan

Awesome Player
codanostra: It's kinda funny that the guy who built the site has to make feature requests lol
codanostra: I know, right?
codanostra: Lol, I mean, what's with this guy?
codanostra: It's like he's got a split personality or something.
codanostra: LOL, I know! I mean, I would have thought Badorties would've checked to make sure his mods weren't schizophrenic.
codanostra: Lol!

-Sully

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
VictorSullivan: All these people are talking to themselves.
VictorSullivan: I know!
VictorSullivan: It's Ok to talk to yourself, though, as long as you aren't having both sides of the conversation.
VictorSullivan: That's good to know!
VictorSullivan: So we're OK then, right?

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
What about making games so that a player cannot join a game if another player in the gamehas marked this dishonorable.

Evan

Jr. Programmer I
O.G.
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
I don't like the forced nature. I might think someone played dishonorably and rate them as such. And it might be for that very reason that I want to play him every day and slaughter them. I don't necessarily see marking someone as dishonorable as meaning I wouldn't like to play them again. They're two separate things in my mind. Also, you might be very honorable, but I just don't want to play you because you're just too good for me or whatever other reason.