• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Temple of the Dice Gods

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
All hail the mighty Dice Gods!! Finally they have seen it upon themselves to bless me with their divine power. Had amazing rolls to take out a load of people in a tourney game I'm in, and I even went for a cheeky assault with a 3 vs an 8... I couldn't believe my eyes as I kept on winning and eventually defeated them for one final elimination!

This is just another example of why I believe the RNG needs to be looked at by someone expert on the subject, I see REALLY long odds events happening WAY too often. The odds of what master described happening have to be in the 1000s to one against.

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
no reason why it can't happen. Also it's Never Ever worked for me before, so it's not like it happens every day. That's the trouble with trying to assign odds to something that is essentially unpredictable. You can have a system of what you "expect" to happen (odds), but in reality it is never an infallible system. Each roll is independent of the last, and the dice have no memory so I don't see where everyone comes up with these "odds" from. The numbers only seem important to us because we assign a value to it - winning or losing.

But I'm never going to win this argument with you so I'll make this my last word on the subject.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
my point is, the RNG can be programmed different ways, I believe that it is not programmed so that these random, highly improbable events happen only as often as they should statistically.

rob6483

Awesome Player
The odds of what master described happening have to be in the 1000s to one against.

I have no idea regarding the RNG issue, but winning with three on eight would be about 0.5% or 1/200. I'd say that's well within the realm of happening with some regularity on this site. I would guess if you polled everyone on the site, several people will remember having had this kind of lucky win happen, but those same people will have lost that same gamble several times over. Not to mention the many more players that have never won against such long odds. Back to the RNG, has anyone ever just tried to keep track of their rolls? Maybe a couple players could set up a 1v1 game on escalate and set out to just make enormous piles of armies to get a good and high random sampling with each keeping track of the attacking/defending rolls, then just go AWOL afterwards? That would at least tell us if each number on the die is getting a 1/6 rate of popping up. I'm not sure how to address the "streakiness" issue though (ie: if sixes are popping up more frequently early on, etc). Maybe have a subset of the first 10 rolls each round?

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
well, you made me curious, so I looked up dice odds for risk and calculated it, and I came up with 0.2683%, or less than 3 times per thousand.

certainly within the realm of possibility, but should be an extremely rare occurrance. My point is, I believe that these "rare" occurrances happen more often than they should. There was a thread a while back (I couldn't find it) where someone was talking about the RNG programming, and why the way that this site has it set leads to that, and suggesting a change in the programming. That thread and information was never acted upon.

Last edited:

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
Thank you Dice Gods - I just came back from being reduced to one unit on one territory to win a 12 player game and gain my major's medal (though the crown seems to be delayed)

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
Well, Cagey - there was a bit of bad luck on our side involved. The Dice Gods were somehow not happy with me. I had five attempts trying to take out your last troop - and they all failed. I didn't even need your cards to call up new reserves. And then, the only reason why I was able to do my almost-conquer was that kerver73 had to give up on starting his turn after two hours of trying.

But the game was, all in all, quite interesting - although it turned somewhat bizarre in the end - with both of us stuck in London etc...

Congratulations to your medal!

Nessa

Awesome Player
well, you made me curious, so I looked up dice odds for risk and calculated it, and I came up with 0.2683%, or less than 3 times per thousand.

certainly within the realm of possibility, but should be an extremely rare occurrance. My point is, I believe that these "rare" occurrances happen more often than they should. There was a thread a while back (I couldn't find it) where someone was talking about the RNG programming, and why the way that this site has it set leads to that, and suggesting a change in the programming. That thread and information was never acted upon.

Hello Cardinal fan err rule! XD,

I don't know if your assumption is correct, but yes I agree the RNG can be programmed in many different ways. I used to play on another site and they did a new rng build and damn, according to almost everyone, it just ruined the game! Magic dice abounded 3v12 wins and the opposite as well 12v3 loses. Everyone, even those who never complained about their dice started to complain. LOL But IMHO it doesn't matter. Yes I lost some games to magic dice, but I won some as well. As long as it is even, I don't care. Now if only we could get women to be even with men.... Bad Nessa! Don't start that! XD

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Well, i just lost all my fixed force games... soo.... screw you anyways dice gods.

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
Ah... fixed force? The Divine Cubes have no power over fixed force games, I'm afraid your losses are all down to you, or perhaps the lesser pantheon of the Card Gods.

Nessa

Awesome Player
Well, i just lost all my fixed force games... soo.... screw you anyways dice gods.
XD What do dice have to do with fixed force?

I must admit a lack of knowledge here though as I have not yet tried that option. Hmmmm.

Heading to find or start a game. I want to give FF a try!

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
XD What do dice have to do with fixed force?

I must admit a lack of knowledge here though as I have not yet tried that option. Hmmmm.

Heading to find or start a game. I want to give FF a try!

Dice have nothing to do with fixed force.

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.

Hehe, that's a good one. :D Feel free to invite me to your fixed force games. I love fixed force.

As for myself, I seem to lose all my games lately. I lost 21 out of the last 27. I ooze bad luck, I make all the wrong decisions, and I hate myself. But I hate you more, oh Dice Gods.

Cerrano's words from the Major League movie:
I'm pissed off now, Jobu. Look, I go to you. I stick up for you. You don't help me now. I say "F.ck you," Jobu, I do it myself.

Yeah, f.ck you, Dice Gods, I'll do it myself.

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
Thank you for my Colonel's wings Dice Gods (and thanks to the 11 players I chained for the points) :)

sensadrome

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
ah I see - I have to prostrate myself before the divine cubes before they will bless me with their fortune. And there was me assuming that by taking my turn when the seconds are a prime number significantly reduced the entropy of /dev/random - although I suspect this is a "virtual server" which means that there will, in fact, be considerably less entropy than you would hope for. Now... if only I could get the CPU speed etc

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
O ye six sided sadists, why hast thou forsaken me?

disaster_zpsdf659f80.jpg

rob6483

Awesome Player
Ouch... guess I won't complain about my dice for a while! What is that, like a tenth of a percent chance of happening?

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
I dunno man, I quail at the maths... all I know is it cost me the game which woulda got me my shield back. Maybe they don't like my new avatar... jealous of Cthulhu maybe? I mean, he's a god of chaos too sort of... right?

Dalinar

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
Ouch... guess I won't complain about my dice for a while! What is that, like a tenth of a percent chance of happening?

1 out of 7,747 times, impressive.