• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Roadmap - New Server

bilsi

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Los Bambinos
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
The Canadian Club
same old, same old, game freezes, hit refresh, rinse and repeat . . . to be fair, the issue is not as universal as it used to before before the changeover ... but, after the change over it was not an issue at all and now it seems to be creeping back again.
How about getting rid of clans? We should start new ones or not bother at all...

bilsi

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Los Bambinos
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
The Canadian Club
One small thing I'm noticing is when I leave a game tab open and return to it later, it appears to have been updating (it shows the correct player's turn, actions up to current, etc) and the clock appears to be running, but the clock is not really completely updating and staying accurate. It can say it's so-and-so's turn and they have 13 hours left, but once I refresh the page the clock updates and it might be 7 hours or whatever
that's the only flaw I'm encountering...everything else is working great.

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Sept 27 minor fixes

So today we deploy a fix for some of the issues that were reported yesterday.

It turns out that the URLs were case-sensitive, meaning that things like /Scoreboard (with a capital "S") would work, but /scoreboard (with a small "s") did not work.

Not only was this the case for all the URLs, but on top of that, the Navigation Tabs on top of the forum, wiki, blog, and games page, all linked to different versions of the same URL. Some to /Clans others to /clans.

This is what gave the impression of 'glitchiness' and a general bad user experience.

Nevertheless, this has all been unified and cleaned up, so all pages should work from all tab. Let me know if you still find one that doesn't work.

Knows Issues - /Beta with a capital "B" does not work, but nothing on the website links to that spelling, so you should never experience it unless you type it yourself, so don't!

Thanks and have fun!

bilsi

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Los Bambinos
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
The Canadian Club
Sept 27 minor fixes

It turns out that the URLs were case-sensitive, meaning that things like /Scoreboard (with a capital "S") would work, but /scoreboard (with a small "s") did not work.

Not only was this the case for all the URLs, but on top of that, the Navigation Tabs on top of the forum, wiki, blog, and games page, all linked to different versions of the same URL. Some to /Clans others to /clans.

This is what gave the impression of 'glitchiness' and a general bad user experience.

Nevertheless, this has all been unified and cleaned up, so all pages should work from all tab. Let me know if you still find one that doesn't work.

Knows Issues - /Beta with a capital "B" does not work, but nothing on the website links to that spelling, so you should never experience it unless you type it yourself, so don't!

Thanks and have fun!
Any idea when points start?

sannheten

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
Thank you very much for all the improvments!
Except for the load screen on the front page, the site runs quicker than ever.

I have however one issue that I wonder if is wide spread or not. Even if I now never have to reload the page during my turns, I still often experience that the site will not let me deploy unless I reload. In these cases the map opens normally, seems to be interactive (terts lights up un mouse hover etc) but it is impossible to deploy troops.
I have not read all of the thread, so not sure if this has been discussed by others - and I wonder if it could be connected to my browser/pc (Firefox on Mac). I suspect it happens mostly after I have zoomed in to look more closely at a part of the map ...

Edit: It does not seem that zooming makes a difference. It just happens (say 1 out 10 times) that the game after first loading, will not let me deploy. Reloading helps.

Last edited:

sannheten

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
Minor comment on the updated front page: In my view the timer would better only show on the games where it is my turn coming up. (And the game number is often not important to know, so could be in a smaller font size.)

Stormcat

Awesome Player

I have however one issue that I wonder if is wide spread or not. Even if I now never have to reload the page during my turns, I still often experience that the site will not let me deploy unless I reload. In these cases the map opens normally, seems to be interactive (terts lights up un mouse hover etc) but it is impossible to deploy troops.
I have not read all of the thread, so not sure if this has been discussed by others - and I wonder if it could be connected to my browser/pc (Firefox on Mac). I suspect it happens mostly after I have zoomed in to look more closely at a part of the map ...
this happens to me as well

matildathehun

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
One small thing I'm noticing is when I leave a game tab open and return to it later, it appears to have been updating (it shows the correct player's turn, actions up to current, etc) and the clock appears to be running, but the clock is not really completely updating and staying accurate. It can say it's so-and-so's turn and they have 13 hours left, but once I refresh the page the clock updates and it might be 7 hours or whatever
Clocks/timers running within a browser can lose time. I'm not sure of all the technical aspects, but I suspect it has something to do with the code, the browser, your computer, etc. The timer isn't always "synched" with the server timer; rather, the browser gets the timer time and then starts its own instance within the browser. That timer can glitch due to multi-tasking withint the browser (more windows open = more susceptibility to this kind of thing), multi-tasking within your computer, etc. It doesn't glitch for long -- fractions of a second usually -- but it adds up as the CPU and browser go about their business.

Again, please don't take this as a "technical" explanation (or that I'm speaking for MC -- I'm not). This is an FYI of things I've noticed over years of web design and similar activities, and almost every statement above is an "I suspect"...!

In short though, it's more to do with the way your browser and computer works than the MC server itself. I don't think there would be any way for the MC server to compensate for this except perhaps force a synch somehow or force a refresh -- things that, if possible, would likely be far down the list of fixes!

-MTH

matildathehun

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter

this happens to me as well

This happens to me when I need to turn in two sets of cards at once (for example, I have four cards and I eliminate someone with four cards = eight cards = need to turn in twice).

I wasn't going to mention until after the major fixes were done, but since the topic is out there, thought I'd add some more insight...

-MTH

engineerairborne

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
One item I noticed and this was also before the switch over. If you collect more than one set during a turn you have to refresh the page to collect on the 2nd set.

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
One item I noticed and this was also before the switch over. If you collect more than one set during a turn you have to refresh the page to collect on the 2nd set.
Me too.

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
How about getting rid of clans? We should start new ones or not bother at all...
I like starting new ones.....and just archive the old ones.

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
good idea bilsi, a fresh start is a great idea all around.

bilsi

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Los Bambinos
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
The Canadian Club
Any idea when points start? I hate asking...

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
Love the new and improved chat function! :love::love::love: we can have our running the board parties again! :LOL:

WARMONGER

Awesome Player
SEPT 26 Update

• Today we uploaded a new frontend.
Previously we were running an Angular UI on a PHP website using iframe. This was a "hack" that kept thing alive but isn't really proper, so it caused some issues.

We now have our Angular UI is running natively on the game pages without the use of iframe. The result should be an uber fast and smooth switching between your game lists, game searches, and the game page. Basically, every URL that is displayed on /beta has improved.

There are still some old PHP pages on the site (scoreboard, clans, settings, and profile pages). They were not prioritized, so they are still in the old php format, and are probably a bit sluggish to load. When we have time and money, we will get to them. But the game pages were our top priority.

Other fixes/improvements deployed today include:
  • Added turn clock to game list
  • Added game number to game list
  • Game Chatter messages now update in real-time
  • Fixed blank screen after sending message from inbox
  • Fixed "More Filter" page when searching for games
  • Disabled annoying popup notification when game-page loads
  • A couple other minor fixes
Rollbacks:
  • The turn indicator on the dogtag was temporarily removed because it only works with the old PHP pages. We need to create a new connection between the new Angular UI and the database to make this work again. I decided to push this release without the turn indicator because, well, time and money. You'll just have to scroll down to your game list to see which games have a turn. This is also a good exercise for your mouse scrolling fingers. You can thank me later.
As always, please post any issues you discover before.

Thanks and have fun!

It won't let you create a real time game, yet the only real time games that have been created are two 24 player games. Why are there no 2 or 4 player games created to play?

WARMONGER

Awesome Player
Sept 27 minor fixes

Thanks and have fun!
So no one seems to want to answer my question. 1) Why can't we create a real-time game to play? 2) Why are there only two real-time games to choose from to play? 3) Why are the only two real-time games to choose from 24 player games?

LordBeardmore

Awesome Player
So no one seems to want to answer my question. 1) Why can't we create a real-time game to play? 2) Why are there only two real-time games to choose from to play? 3) Why are the only two real-time games to choose from 24 player games?
Clearly, a lot of features are under construction.