• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Mexican-American War Feedback Thread

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
no not the navy :( it was an tnteresting twist one way attack, if u avance all u can use your troops to reinforce!
the original set-up of having two one-way attacks (LA -> Navy and Navy -> VeraCruz) had the unintended effect of stranding troops on the Navy with no way to reinforce them out. As the Sheriff said, the one way attack into Vera Cruz is still in play, but now a player can back troops out of the Navy to Louisiana if they wish.

I personally think it's a fairly elegant solution to a problem that the site has had for a long time - one-way attacks do not equate to one-way reinforcements.

gravity

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Hey Shep, just got done getting blown out by gtivan and cardinalsrule, so I have to complain that I think the die weren't working on our map ;)

Otherwise it looks (and played) great. On another note, have you considered making the ship return to Neutral after a turn? Or, like Africa conflict zones, a diminishing force that must be added to or it would be lost?

This may not be relevant now that you've decided on 2 as the start point, but it just struck me as something that might be interesting to consider.

-grav

OneEyed

Awesome Player
completely true, the actual fighting of the Mexican American War took place in a very small segment of this map. If we'd made a map of simply the battles of the war, this map would be little more than the land surrounding the Rio Grande and the invasion force at Veracruz which took Mexico City.

However, as I have explained, the theme of this map is the expansion of the United States across the continent. I thought there was value in showing the immense territory that was a part of Mexico before the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo ceded all of Texas, Alta California, New Mexico, etc. to the US.

your explantation makes different view on the map.
As for the specific questions:
1. We can't do victory commands at the site at the moment.

this could be next feature to code in. btw, has MC victory conditions?
2. Covering the map with one-way attacks may be true to the war, but would make for bad gameplay.

one more one-way attack will not covering map. but as I wrote, after your explantation I have different view on map.

the original set-up of having two one-way attacks (LA -> Navy and Navy -> VeraCruz) had the unintended effect of stranding troops on the Navy with no way to reinforce them out. As the Sheriff said, the one way attack into Vera Cruz is still in play, but now a player can back troops out of the Navy to Louisiana if they wish.

I personally think it's a fairly elegant solution to a problem that the site has had for a long time - one-way attacks do not equate to one-way reinforcements.

this is great solution. also from historic view and also from gameplay view.

once time, good job Shepherd.

OneEyed

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
this could be next feature to code in. btw, has MC victory conditions?
We have a list of new rules we would like to see added when the recoding of the site is completed, and this is on the list.

TheGeneral

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
T.O's.

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
There are arrows pointing the one way flow. I guess you mean letting this clearer right? If so, i agree

clear your cache :) *browser history, its clear now, where its one way and where its 2 ways

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
Sherif!: some sick people are asking me if the medals for the new map are ready, I know a guy that already has 12 UDOS on it XD

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I'm sure they can't change in a running game... Only games that start after the change was made :)
This is correct.

And medals are made... I can't speak as to whether of not they are loaded. That's above my pay grade.

STL8T3M.png
cw4lzEx.png
Ai033sc.png
cTeibiQ.png

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
I'm sure they can't change in a running game... Only games that start after the change was made :)

That is correct. 2 troops on the ship will only appear in new games, not in started games.

This is correct.

And medals are made... I can't speak as to whether of not they are loaded. That's above my pay grade.

They have been upload to the server and you can see them in the WIKI. But the code to give them players has not been installed yet. They should be ready to give out in the next week or so, not long after the Map goes public.

TheGeneral

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
T.O's.
That is correct. 2 troops on the ship will only appear in new games, not in started games.

They have been upload to the server and you can see them in the WIKI. But the code to give them players has not been installed yet. They should be ready to give out in the next week or so, not long after the Map goes public.

Thank you, fellas!

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
The medals look real nice. Can't wait to get one, but I haven't even earned a UDO yet

edsdad

Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Canadian Club
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
Great game guys,nice job.

CaptSweatpants

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
Kickstarter
How about a two way access to the ship from Corpus Christi... also a decent seaport in those days... and that one way attack into Vera Cruz is murder. Any chance to strike back without having to march across a bunch of territories might be nice

palmono

Awesome Player
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
I really like the map and have played it a few times.

Just two comments:
1. You can attack from the ship to VeraCruz but not reinforce. Why??
2. Most of the commands are hard to defend at the first rounds.

Cheers!

Palmono

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
You can attack from the ship to VeraCruz but not reinforce. Why??
This has to do with the way the game engine was originally designed. When the re-code is rolled out this will be addressed.

As for commands being hard to defend, I think its good to have some maps that are like this. It reduces the influence of a lucky drop to start the game.

jasmine1978

Awesome Player
Los Bambinos
The Borg
might be interesting if the US Navy could attack anywhere on the coast and not just the one place. early days in my game so will report back later... thanks for the map shepherd!

i think the mexican american war map is awesome i have played it many times but i do agree with sensa abit about having the boat attacking another region like San patricio or would it be possible to add another navy boat on the other side of the map maybe connecting Colima (central mexico command) to San Diego (alto command) i think this would add a great twist to an already great map ;-)

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
at this point, any changes we make to the map will affect games that are in progress. Adding a region would cause in progress games to crash, and adding connections would change the play mid-game. Unless there's a need for a fix, I don't see us making significant changes to how the map plays.

legionbuck

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
Makes a good team game map !