• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Mexican-American War Feedback Thread

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Please post your feedback on the new Mexican-American War Map!

UPDATE: Some people were wondering about points during these test games, I forgot to mention that yes, points will be won and lost just like in any normal game. Sorry, no free rides, play to win!

Last edited:

marc369

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Where is it????

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Shep hasn't actually released the map yet, Marc. Right now he's got a few people playing a test game to make sure everything works properly, all connections correct, etc. You should see it very soon.....

LordAdef

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Great news!

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
feedback appreciated.

If you jump into a game be aware that the troop containers are going to be completely redone; I just used some old ones from other maps to make it playable. Right now there are some glitches with the way I set them up, but it shouldn't affect the play of the game.

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
1 think I noticed was Sonora and Sinaloa said bonus of 4 on the game map, and a bonus of 3 on the brief. :)

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
I also just noticed that the ship is a one way attack. Another "tweak" could be putting the words "One Way Attack" on the brief, maybe under the US NAVY NO BONUS words?

LordAdef

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
I also just noticed that the ship is a one way attack. Another "tweak" could be putting the words "One Way Attack" on the brief, maybe under the US NAVY NO BONUS words?

Which way Sheriff?

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
more clear is better. Noted.

And if you're in a game, clear your browser's cache and reload for improved troop containers.

Last edited:

TheGeneral

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
T.O's.
not sure if this is a troop container but I always set myself up as green for my troops colours and would like to have a green as a colour choice. thanks!!

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
the colour palette is not really suitable for team games, imho

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
f you jump into a game be aware that the troop containers are going to be completely redone; I just used some old ones from other maps to make it playable.
It's a work in progress. Once I iron out some issues there will be a full compliment of troop containers.

sundicekid

Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Canadian Club
It's a work in progress. Once I iron out some issues....

Thank you for a new map and for asking for feedback.

May I suggest please that you remove the name "Manifest Destiny" and call it "The Mexican-American War." The term Manifest Destiny is not only highly controversial, but I believe it to be insulting to many Native Americans & Black Americans as it was used to abuse, kill and enslave human beings. I'd like to offer a quote from Wikipedia:

"Manifest destiny had serious consequences for Native Americans, since continental expansion implicitly meant the occupation and annexation of Native American land, sometimes to expand slavery. This ultimately led to the ethnic cleansing of several groups of native peoples via Indian removal."

Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited:

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
re: the titles...

The map is called the Mexican American War, though I can see how the presentation of the map would suggest otherwise (that's an easy change, which I will make). It was conceived as one of a series of maps that are to be centered around US expansion in the early to mid 19th Century - the War of 1812, this war with Mexico, the removal of native tribes from their homelands, and the Homestead Act and the rush for land.

While the concept of the US having a "manifest destiny" was indeed controversial at the time, and while the acts that were carried out against native peoples were abhorrent, I would argue that today is a piece of history. As a teacher of history, I don't like the idea of sweeping any history under the rug because there was controversy around it or because a people suffered as a result of policies. If we did that we would have to start removing all kinds of words from our history books - Nazis and apartheid and British imperialism and the raj and the slave trade and internment camps and thousands of other words. It's not the terms that are a problem, it's the policies behind the terms. It is not my intention to glorify such policies, at least, not any more than we are already glorifying war by just playing this game.

I hope that in making maps I am able to sneak in a history lesson here and there. I also hope that as I add more maps to the series the larger purposes behind the maps become increasingly clear.

rob6483

Awesome Player
Just started a game! Thanks for the test-play and the new map! I'll just throw out initial thoughts as they come to me...

The colors of the regions on Alta California and New Mexico are pretty similar. Threw me off for a second before I looked closer and saw there is difference. The yellow wedge of Sonora and Sinaloa helps, but might be good to adjust somewhat. At first I was going to suggest switching New Mexico to more of a blue like the US, but I'm assuming that the US is intentionally the only blue command?

As far as the Manifest Destiny portion, I agree with Shepherd views. Definitely something good to consider when making maps though that there can certainly be sensitive areas especially when a specific conflict or period is concerned. Kind of an interesting area given the nature of war games. The Nukes! map for instance might not be nearly so fun if one side or the other (or both) had actually launched nuclear weapons during the Cold War.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Going to say that I agree with Shep and rob. I see no reason to change it, especially if it's designed to be part of a map pack.

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
What do you think about the rivers in MO and LA?

I see what you were doing with the lighter shades of the rivers in MO and LA. I'm thinking it might be more clear if you added "river crossings" or "portages" or whatever to cross the ghost rivers in those states. Then it is consistent with the other places where one may cross a river. In this case, it just means they are part of the same territory.

Anyone else see that as an improvement?

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I originally had bridges across the rivers mid-state, but it was expressed that they were confusing. Simply lightening the edges of the rivers to make them less confusing is on my to-do list.