• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

[Idea] MajCom League

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
I like what I'm seeing here. If you need a dedicated forum or anything like that. Let me know. Once we have some structure, we can promote site-wide to fill in the ranks.

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Awesome, that's great news, cheers Badorties. And everyone else who has shown support for this. I've been a little busy the past couple of days but I'll post here my initial ideas about how I envisioned this thing running.

My idea was to have one big league that everyone who signed up will be in, all fighting against each other for the top spot. Stonebergftw posted some clever ideas from his CS tourneys (cheers mate!), but for now I think I'd like to see what one big league feels like rather than dividing it up into seperate divisions and leagues within a league. I like the idea that anyone can win, no matter what their rank or previous record looks like.

Basically, I was planning on setting it up in Rounds, a bit like survivor but with no voting or immunity. Each round will have different Groups (Group A,B,C etc). These groups consist of players randomly chosen at the start of the round. At our current numbers, it would be about 10 groups in round one, if it was 5 player games, seeing as we have around 50 people. Each round you could change up things like amount of players in each game, maps and settings. But within each round every game would have the exact same settings as each other to keep it equal. After all the games of the round are complete, new randomisation occurs and we move into the next round with the new groups.

The goal is to reach a set number of wins, say 5, to be crowned the ultimate winner. If more than one person hits 5 wins within the same round, then it moves on to being 6 wins required. If it happens again it goes on to 7, and on and on again until The One emerges. Hopefully it will be exciting stuff whatever happens.

A scoreboard would be posted somewhere seperate, with everyones names listed up in order of wins. After each round we are going to have a lot of winners if the games are small, but I like this because it makes it really anybodys game. Perhaps we could make games get steadily larger as it progresses to make it even tougher. There would also be a place for the All Time Winners.. because this thing doesn't have to stop after one run-through and I really hope it doesn't. After a winner has been named, people are free to go on their way or stick around and go again. Anyone else wanting to join up would be accepted in at this point, OR maybe can just hop in mid-way if people are cool with it. Not like they get an advantage by doing so, just the opposite. I really want to build this thing so it's as fun and inclusive as possible.

Questions? Comments? Complaints?

Tell me what you think guys..

stonebergftw

Awesome Player
What would the benefit be to winning the league? Would you have a better seeding in the next season? Or is this a single season type of thing? How would this be any different than a tournament?

Definitely set something up! Are you keeping track of this in a spreadsheet? I can probably host standings on my local web server with a simple html page to check them, for the time being. I'm coding a bunch of PHP for a different project that the classes could be adapted to keep track of this. It wont be done for a while, but I'll let you all know when I have something substantial done.

legionbuck

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
Reporting for duty !

FLAGG

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Masterjskye,

I like exactly what you wrote. I love the goal being to reach a certain number of wins.

I think it should be 5-6 person games throughout. More wins per round will make it more exciting as we go on - and the games will be quicker (then if you made a few 10-12 person games).

My two thoughts:
1) Each round of games should be with different maps.

2) Each round of games should have different settings. For example, some people like escalate, some people like flat rate, etc.

Flagg,

masterjskye

CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Stoneberg, in answer to your first question the benefit of winning the league is basically just that, you are the winner and all bow down before you.
A fat stack of points from the MajCom Gods wouldn't go amiss either, but I can't promise that as I am a mere mortal =) You get the bragging rights and the feel good factor of being the winner.
I think of it like accumulating points and moving up the scoreboard. There's nothing actually gameplay-wise that improves for you as you move up the scoreboard. Yet people still like to gain points and move up and improve. I think this could be the same case here.

I like your idea of a "proper" league with filtering and suchlike so that previous winners all play each other as well though. Perhaps after "season one" is done, we could split people up based on their current score from season one. Techincally your idea is actually more like a league, whereas my idea is more akin to a league-cup. I have no problems with the two existing side-by side, in fact that could be the solution here. Use the results from one to influence the choosing of the others divisions? So that you have one madhouse type tournament and one where people are playing people more suited to their personal skill level.

I'm not using a spreadsheet atm, no, I dont even think I have the software on this pc hahaha.. old trusty MS notepad for me.

It'd be great if you could set up something automated with a script, would probably save a lot of time.

FLAGG, I'm glad you're liking my plans - and we think alike as I had planned to mix up the settings and maps each round. Your point about the games being faster with lots of little ones is a good one too, and something I hadn't considered.

stonebergftw

Awesome Player
I like your analogy of league cup vs league, that's a good one. Gotta grab my daughter from upstairs. I'll post some constructive thoughts a bit later.

PITMAN212

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
sounds like a cool way to play!

masterjskye

CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Update: Here are the groups. I don't have enough time tonight but I should have things up and running by tomorrow. I'm going to push on with the "League-Cup" thang to start us off and see how we go from there.

One little thing to note: any grunt that has 4 full games at time of the groups being announced will not be considered for the round. They shall be notified that they are full and are welcome to enter next round. After scanning through your profiles, I can see only 2 people who have too many games to play.

----------------------------------
GROUP A:

RAKATAC

FLAGG

TYLES

GRAVITY

KUNGFUDUET

INCANDENZA

GROUP B:

CKO

STONE123

CTDUGGAN

CHESEBR3

ANDRASTE

KOWS

GROUP C

MIQUEL

BUDH

DAVE9992

EMMIEKAE

NDRM31

ESTRAUG2

GROUP D

NOGGIN

BADORTIES

RIMBAUD

BLONDO

X-DEADBOY-X

LUGNUT

GROUP E

PSUPAT11

DALEFOOEXPERIENCE

CARDINALSRULE

BISJAR

JPROCWALK - AWOL, SUBBED BY MASTERJSKYE (NEUTRAL)

IRONZTIGER

GROUP F

MARK

EDSDAD

DAANGEENNAAM

BCR914

GUNSPADE

LEGIONBUCK

GROUP G

ISWARA

LONBON

COPUSMENTUS

SLAUGHTERMOUNTAIN

GLU

SVENSKA18

GROUP H

BONEAPART

SCUDMISSILET

CHICO

MOONSTONE

PITMAN212

IRONDUKE00

GROUP I

MTOIGO

WIDOWMAKERS

B1G4NF

THEGENERAL

MH1958

GROUP J

VIKTORSANGRE

LINKINTHEORY13

ALLFORSIAM

THEYCALLMESQUIRTLE

MASTERJSKYE

SEKRETAR

Remember, teams are RANDOM - don't come crying to me if you get a bad lot. Suck it up soldier!

Games to be posted tomorrow.

Last edited:

FLAGG

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
MASTER,

I know you said that the different rounds will be with different maps and different settings.

Are the groups consistent for all rounds, or does that reset as well for each round?

Flagg

TheGeneral

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
T.O's.
Exciting - but group A look strong! :eek:]

masterjskye

CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Group A Does look Strong! I was surprised at the names that came up on that one. FLAGG, groups will be randomised each round, you will not be stuck with this group right through the competition.

Blondo

Awesome Player
Maybe a good idea to create a League Subforum. Else it will get pretty cluttered in here if people start ...
You could make the group-threads sticky so they stay alphabetically (no need to create new threads for every round but you can ...)

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
yeah, there's not what I would call an "easy" group anywhere, but I have to agree, that Group A is a bit tough. lol

FLAGG

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Masterjskye,

Two things:
1) It would be good if you could get the programers of the site to have the games in this league light up as a different color on your active games list. Like tournament games do.

2) Group A does look strong. I am glad that you will mix and match for each round. It would be sad if I had to beat all those great people in group A round after round after round. Everyone deserves a chance to win once in a while :)

Flagg

masterjskye

CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Blondo, you may be right - a sub-forum may be in order here. I have sent a request to The Big Man.

PTRrisk - Alright but this round is already in motion. I'll stick you on the substitute list for this round in case we have any no-show'ers. Next round you will be added into the rotation, provided you have a free game slot.

FLAGG - good idea on the colour front, I've passed it on to Badorties as a suggestion but I'm not sure if it will be possible. Perhaps in the future. For now, I have just put a short description on each game, denoting it as the MajCom League. Best I can do.

AND NOW, FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE:

Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D
Group E
Group F
Group G
Group H
Group I
Group J
Enjoy! :marchmellow:

masterjskye

CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Sekretar, same deal as PTRrisk - you've just missed round 1 unless somebody doesn't show up, you are now on the list for next round and beyond. Don't worry one round missed is no biggie.