• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

[Idea] MajCom League

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
So glad we have so many sign-ups! This is Most Excellent. Apparently my little ad campaign did the trick. Keep em coming guys, I want this to be HUGE :D

edsdad

Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Canadian Club
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
Count me in.

FLAGG

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Don't know how it works - but I don't want to be left behind! I am IN!

Flagg

bcr914

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
I'm in

X-DEADBOY-X

Awesome Player
Not exactly sure how it works but Deadboy humbly accepts the challenge good sir. Count me in. Cheers.

Rimbaud

Awesome Player
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
The Duellers Society
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
Count me in plz =9

stonebergftw

Awesome Player
I'm going to let you guys in on the format of a big time counter-strike league that I used to play in. I think there were something like 5000 5 man teams enrolled in its hay day.

The system that the league used, was able to naturally filter the best teams into sepparate divisions of the league. It was set up into 4 main divisions(open, intermediate, main, and invite), with the best teams being in "invite", and so on. Here's how it worked:

Anyone could register for open. Once per week, each team would be scheduled a match against another team in their division(open vs open, main vs main, etc.) After 8 weeks, bracketed playoffs would commence, with the winners moving up to either intermediate, main, or invite. Typically, the final four teams or so would move up to main, playoff contenders to intermediate. Then a few weeks later, the next season would start.

This is how each of the four divisions would work, with the winners/elite teams moving into the higher divisions. If you weren't one of the elite teams, you could always play the next season in the open(or previous played) division again.

However, this enabled there to be a natural "funneling" of the best teams into the higher tier divisions. Obviously, the first season would more or less be an all open league, unless specific heavy hitters were invited into an invite league(good idea).

I think a setup like this would work wonderfully here. As a frame of reference, in the counter-strike league, there were about 20 teams in the invite division, 50 or 60 in main, a couple hundred in intermediate, and thousands in open.

Last edited:

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
It's great to see so many people jazzed about this idea. I'm in, certainly, and will provide what assistance and official sanction I can.

There are some pros and cons to using the official tourney system for this, mostly due to the fact that while our tourney system is badass, it's still fairly limited in what it can do. The short version is that the software can only handle bracket-style tourneys. Which is no bad thing, as you could start, say, 5 tourneys at a time, people can join as many or as few as they like, and winners get overall "tourney victories," with the first person to x victories declared the overall winner.

Doing everything manually is much more flexible, since you can run whatever sort of system you want, but it has the disadvantage of being infinitely more time-consuming for the organizer (and slower for the players). Organizing large groups of people in an fairly intricate endeavor can be very much like herding cats.