• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Honor rating?

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Could someone in Majcom Command please give us a quick explanation of what the honors number means? And perhaps how it is calculated? I'm currently a little over 200, is that good? mediocre? poor?

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
According to the info post that Bado posted, the ( ) is the number of people who have voted for you, and the first number is the percent who voted you honorable. I have a rating of 72(35). So, according to that, 25.2 people have rated me as honorable. Not sure who the 0.2 of a person is....... Even accounting for rounding, there's no way that you can get that number... if it was 25 out of 35 people voting me honorable, it would be 71.428%, which should round to 71, and if it was 26 out of 35, it would be 74.28%, which would round to 74. So, I'm a bit befuddled as to how I have a rating of 72(35).

Its rounded up?

Upvote 0

Blondo

Awesome Player
I tried changing a rating I gave (prolly a month ago or more) in a new game with that player (a few weeks ago). However I remember it changed back to my first rating. So I thought once you have given a rating there's no way of undoing it. Is this how it has always worked (don't know if you have changed the honor system recentely)?

Maybe I tried to change it to neutral and that's whattamatta: once you've rated someone (dis)honorable you can't change your rating to neutral anymore.

Upvote 0

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
I'd like to repost two suggestions I made about the honor rating a while back:

1. I'd like the ability to rate in a finished game for 24 hours after it completes. Hopefully the reasons for this are obvious.
  2. I'd also like to see Positive/Negative ratings revert to Neutral after a period of time (six months makes sense to me). This allows one's Honor Rating to evolve in a more meaningful way. If you were guilty of DB'ery and then make an honest effort to change; you might be held hostage by ratings from people who are no longer active players. Other people may change their minds and rate you more favorably. Over time, though, a certain amount of your "honor rating" will be permanently frozen, which of course then makes any new ratings less meaningful.

Thanks. Other than that, I think this provides a reasonable way to evaluate other players honor/niceness/non-db'ery etc. As long as we all understand what goes into the numbers, we can all arrive at whatever personal conclusions we want to.

Upvote 0

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I'm forced to once again post, showing, this time, that there is NO mathematical possibility for the score I have, using the system as explained by Bado.
I currently have a 76(40) score. That means, according to the explanation, that 40 people have voted for me and 76 % of them rated me honorable. That is mathematically impossible. If 30 voted me honorable and 10 dishonorable, it would be 75% exactly, no rounding at all. If 31 of the 40 rated me positive, it would be 77.5 %, which would ostensibly be rounded to 78. So, unless there's more to the calculation than what we've been told, it is set up incorrectly or has some kiind of bug in it, because my score is, as I said, mathematically impossible.

Upvote 0

FLAGG

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Ha! Cardinal you mean you can't figure things out? But what about our new dispatch that comes up on my screen just about every time I log in.

LEARN IT!
LIVE IT!
LOVE IT!

Well..........I guess none of us can figure it out. I guess we are living it......... No one seems to love it.

1 out of 3 ain't bad!!!!!!

Flagg

Upvote 0

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
Obviously a glitch in the software. But supposedly your vote doesn't show up for a couple of says to help anonyminity. (SP) So, the question would be, are the number of people voting and the % updated at exactly the same time?

Right now Card's has 76%(42). Which is close to 31/42.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
I'm forced to once again post, showing, this time, that there is NO mathematical possibility for the score I have, using the system as explained by Bado.

Isn't 76(42) best explained by 32/42 people voting you honorable ---> 76.19%?

So it looks like gtivan explains it, there is a different lag between which numbers are getting updated.

Upvote 0

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I guess if there is a different lag that would explain it. Whatever. Its not like it matters, as long as my number doesn't fall so low that I get put on double-secret probation.

Upvote 0

B1G4NF

Awesome Player
with Diplo and Honour ratings going hand in hand as they do... I'd like to see a games or time since last treaty violation stat.

Upvote 0

FLAGG

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Is anyone else here SICK of seeing that boy scout on the dispatch 9 out of 10 times you go into the site?

Flagg

Upvote 0

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Okay so how does THIS work!?!?!

http://rastaman.majorcommand.com/

As you can see, this guy joined the site only 4 days ago and he has broken a diplomatic agreement yet his score shows 970 (0)??

Something Somewhere went seriously wrong...

Upvote 0

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
The diplo stuff hasn't worked in a LONG time, master. I've seen people with 970 scores for MONTHS. The rebuild of scores hasn't worked for probably 6 months, and the number of broken treaties for at least a month.

Upvote 0

FLAGG

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
This honor stuff..........well I won't go into it again.

I think it might be better to just know who you play with.........and don't trust anyone completely until you know how they play. For instance - Cardinal and I have been in enough games with each other to know how each other play - and trust our knowledge of each other, I believe, far more then any rating.

Please take down that boy scout :)

Flagg

Upvote 0

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I'd like to repost two suggestions I made about the honor rating a while back:

1. I'd like the ability to rate in a finished game for 24 hours after it completes. Hopefully the reasons for this are obvious.

1. I strongly second this motion. I just had a game end today and I'd REALLY like to rate a couple of players but can't.....

Upvote 0

serf

Awesome Player
"I just had a game end today and I'd REALLY like to rate a couple of players but can't..... " ditto. How/where do we start a vote to extend the time allowed for giving honor ratings? Generally a person will make sure they have enough to wipe you out before they break a treaty, thus rendering the honor system moot. Anyway, mine makes I think:
3 votes in favor

Upvote 0

ladynem

Awesome Player
I'm probably very naive, but why would you want to change your rating after a game?

Upvote 0

thone

Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Maybe this should be enabled on the profile of a player?

Upvote 0

SlaughterMountain

Awesome Player
I'm probably very naive, but why would you want to change your rating after a game?

lady i think what serf means here is that in his game someone he trusted and had rated honorable stabbed him in the back and ended the game on that note. so with the game finished he can't go in and change the honor rankings to dishonorable. the only way for him to change it is to get into another game with that person and rank him there. so he wants a time extension or a place to go to rank outside of the game.

Upvote 0

johnjdc

Awesome Player
I currently have a 76(40) score. That means, according to the explanation, that 40 people have voted for me and 76 % of them rated me honorable. That is mathematically impossible. If 30 voted me honorable and 10 dishonorable, it would be 75% exactly, no rounding at all. If 31 of the 40 rated me positive, it would be 77.5 %, which would ostensibly be rounded to 78. So, unless there's more to the calculation than what we've been told, it is set up incorrectly or has some kiind of bug in it, because my score is, as I said, mathematically impossible.

I have a better one. My honor was 40(8). Just about possible with some rounding, I guess - 3 honorable, 5 dishonorable. I played a game, and one guy was, well, a dick basically, and quit. I kept playing with the other two, and they stated they had rated me honorable. New rating: 40(10). Er, ok. Well, maybe 1 didn't really do it, and the guy who quit rated me dishonorable, ok, so it's 4 vs 6.

Now I just played a game - broke a treaty but victim agreed I had no choice - he had 1 army left and was about to be wiped out by someone, even if not me. Now my rating is 28(11). Even if he rated me dishonorable, it should be (on the above logic) 4 vs 7 which would be 36, not 28. Or, while we were playing, someone I'd played with before who had rated me honorable decided to switch their rating for some reason, but nobody in the game I was actually playing at the time rated me at all?

Help me out here...

Upvote 0