• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Balkans - or - The Balkan Peninsula

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
That's looking real nice Shep!

aym

Awesome Player
The Serbian (& Kosovo) regions are named after the main cities in each area - except for Kosovo. Is that ok for this map?

If regional names are preferred (to be in line with Kosovo), the northern region of Serbia is the autonomous province of Vojvodina. Belgrade (Serbian name and spelling: Beograd) is the same as now.

The west and east regions are...west = Šumadija & Western Serbia, east = Southern & Eastern Serbia. Or you could name those two after their main districts, west = Šumadija (which contains city Kragujevac, current name), east = Nišava (which contains city Niš, current name).

Hope this helps!

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
thanks everyone for the input so far. Keep in mind that we want to balance accuracy and ease of play - name things XXX east and XXX west might be confusing and mess up a game.

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
Romania:
Sibiu should be called 'Alba Iulia'
Brasov should be called 'Mures'
Moldova, Galati, Moldavia and Muntenia need to be differently distributed. Something like the image below:

q138Q2m.png

I also gave the correct names of the Bulgarian regions in a message not long ago. I hope you didn't overlook that.

PS. Gagauzia actually is an autonomous republic within the territory I called Gagauzia on my map. I hope nobody will object, since the regions names in Moldova are actually called 'Nord, Centro and Sud', boring....

PS PS. I liked the colourfulness of patsfans original map. The colours you have chosen now make the map look like a spin-off of the Middle East map to me. Maybe brighten them up a bit again?

Last edited:

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Hey Sebrim, I'm checking with Patsfan to see how he feels about redrawing the Romanian regions to more accurately match current divisions - I think I posted an example in here a page back.

I'll check what I have for Bulgaria.

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
I'd like to see a bit more bold colours on there too, if it was possible. I just prefer the brighter, more colourful maps for some reason.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
the image I posted looks nothing like the map we're creating - that was just for the sake of working out titles. The final will closely resemble the Middle East map in style and color.

patsfan44

Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Yeah, trust me you will like the look of the actual map. It looks very very nice.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I need some help with fun stuff... I need load messages, which usually take the from of a verb (present participle) and a noun or occasionally an adverb. For instance, for this map we could say "Climbing Mountains" (or "Climbing Every Mountain"). Let's get some messages with local flavor.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Since Greece is on the map, maybe
"writing philosophy"
"irrationalizing numbers"
"proving Geometry"

more later, maybe...

patsfan44

Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I think Sebrim could give us some nice ones.

aym

Awesome Player
I need some help with fun stuff... I need load messages, which usually take the from of a verb (present participle) and a noun or occasionally an adverb. For instance, for this map we could say "Climbing Mountains" (or "Climbing Every Mountain"). Let's get some messages with local flavor.

Drinking/Making rakija. National drink throughout the Balkans, often home-produced.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
remember, the joke is that these might pass for things the server is doing to create the map. So far I have...

Scaling Mountains
Distilling Rakija
Irrationalizing numbers
Transitioning to capitalism
Navigating Yugosphere
Redrawing borders
Expelling dictators
Scheming pyramids

aym

Awesome Player
Navigating the Danube? Mapping the Danube?

Something about Dracula?

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
so it seems as if the game engine will not give a -1 bonus, so until we are able to get new rules written by our Dev guy (which won't be soon) we'll need to rethink how we want to structure the shipping lanes/seas bonus.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I don't understand. A minus-one bonus?

patsfan44

Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I don't understand either. The ships weren't suppose to degrade.

Ignore.

Cards he meant the bonus 1 for 3 ships.

Last edited:

patsfan44

Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
oh nvm. I see what you mean. Why can't the ships work if the oil rigs on the ME map do? In the game with me you and KFD the ships seem to be working btw.

Last edited:

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
They also seem to work fine in our 5-player-game. Or not? I don't quite understand the discussion....

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Sorry, I was not clear. As originally designed the plan was to give +1 for three ships, and +3 for four ships. There are four combinations of three for the smaller bonus, and if you hold all four ships you hold all four combinations. Thus you get +4. My hope was to have the game engine register a -1 bonus for holding all four (4-1=3), but it can't do that.

So either we just allow +4 for all four ships, as is the case in Middle East, or we rethink it entirely.