• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Add an Undo Button

umphreys

Awesome Player
I've seen a lot of people get frustrated for reinforcing the wrong amount, or moving one army into a territory went they meant to do all or vice versa. Is it possible to put a small undo button somewhere for these times?
Also, I inadvertently broke a diplomatic treaty. I completely forgot that I had agreed to one. Is it possible for a small pop-up window to say, 'you're about to break an diplomatic agreement, do you wish to proceed'?
Just a couple ideas. Hope you like it...
Site's awesome!

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
A diplomatic breach warning is on our list. I did the same exact thing during earlier testing, so I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

As far as an undo button, I can see both sides of the argument. Anyone other users want to weigh in?

Oh, and thanks for the kind words.

Robinette

omigod, totally bitchen, furshur, furshur
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
As far as an undo button, I can see both sides of the argument. Anyone other users want to weigh in?

welll.... it IS pretty easy to hit the single army into a country, but after a few such mistakes, you learn...
so yeah, i suppose a back up button would be nice...

especially after a really bad attack... YEAH,,, BACK UP BUTTONS FOR EVERYTHING PLEASE, lol...

Evan

Jr. Programmer I
O.G.
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
"Campaign mode" will accommodate some of this. It doesnt have undo per se, but it does let you plot your move before committing, I believe. Its been a while since Ive looked at it tho. It is an upcoming feature (dont want you to go looking for it now and wonder what Im talking about... it isnt there yet).

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Treaties in general will have to undergo some more work. For instance, if I have a treaty with somebody who was eliminated, the treaty should end - but right now it doesn't.

I find the idea of an undo button rather distasteful, but it has more to do with a gut reaction i have to it than any rational argument i can make. I've made plenty of troop movement errors - confusing the left and right numbers, hitting the wrong button - and I still make them after playing a few dozen games.

But rather than giving folks a way to correct the errors, I'd rather see us address the UI that is causing us to make such errors. For instance, between the left number and right number in the advance box there could be an arrow pointing from left to right - dumb, I know, but think of suffering we could eliminate for the cost of a few pixels. As for hitting the "one" button when I want to move "all" it would be nice if it were an option to have an additional "Commit" button pop up AFTER I've selected one of the buttons and the troop movement is displayed in the box. That way I can, if I care to, look at the advance box and see what I'm about to do and either hit commit or cancel.

I say it should be an option because it won't be for everybody, but a Commit or Are You Sure? confirmation should be the default for new players.

Spazm

Ambassador
Awesome Player
I wanted to bump this up again. I would love an undo button for the last move (reinforcements, deployments, after attacks). Yes, I should pay attention, but (looks around for the boss) I tend to try and make quick turns while switching between tasks or other such things. With troop placement being the primary point of the game, I don't like that so much can hinge on a single mis-click.

As for a commit or Are you Sure button, I think that is too cumbersome for something that you would only want to use once in a while. Really, all it is is similar to a chess move..."I haven't taken my finger off the piece yet!" :D

Atlas-shrugged

Awesome Player
I have also wished there was a way to return to the assault mode after going to reinforcements.
This is not an undo as much because it should only work prior to moving any troops.

elfword

Awesome Player
I'd totally be up for an undo for reinforcements and deployment. But an undo for assaults doesn't make sense.

Atlas-shrugged

Awesome Player
Well it helps If you hit the button to end your assault and then you realize you want to continue assaulting .It would not be a undo of anything or taking anything back that could be seen as fudging your moves .It is simply a matter of choosing to continue the assault before you begin Reinforcing. In the original game for instance you would be able to continue your assault as long as you had not already moved any reinforcements.
It is a feature that is available elsewhere that comes in handy , and is probably not as obvious to people who have not seen it used before.

Last edited:

PointSpecial

Awesome Player
I think an undo for deployment would be great... I just unloaded a bunch of troops in initial deployment to a teammate's country in a team game... in the first turn, so it should end up ok, I think... but that could have huge implications.

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
I'm ok with the undo button as well. Additionally because I don't know all the connections on the various maps that well yet and the "advance" dialog box sometimes obscures the countries underneath.

I think Undo should be possible while you are deploying troops (but before assaulting), while you are advancing troops (but before you assault again) and an option for going back to assault phase (but before fortifying any troops).

Not sure how difficult that is on the coding end but there's my $0.02 worth.

Cheers!

allurbass

Awesome Player
"I'd totally be up for an undo for reinforcements and deployment. But an undo for assaults doesn't make sense. "

bump

Spazm

Ambassador
Awesome Player
Currently if I click just on the edge of a deployment button it can someties select another country. At times, the game makes you deploy twice before it "takes" so I think nothing of it, but many times I end up deploying all my troops light years behind the front lines. Please, all I want for Christmas is an undo button!

Robinette

omigod, totally bitchen, furshur, furshur
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Please, all I want for Christmas is an undo button!

HEY!
writingImage_Take-Social-Back-A-Call-To-Action.jpg

YOU TAKE THAT BACK,
RIGHT NOW!

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Well the diplo breach warning is in. Maybe someone can confirm this? We will be making some UI changes will will remove the 'colors' button, which may leave room for ... i dunno.. an undo button.

asunder

Awesome Player
Well the diplo breach warning is in. Maybe someone can confirm this? We will be making some UI changes will will remove the 'colors' button, which may leave room for ... i dunno.. an undo button.

wait, does that mean you are taking away colours options all together? :/

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar

lostviajero

Awesome Player
+1 for "undo for reinforcements and deployment. But an undo for assaults doesn't make sense."

I screw this up at least once a game. I don't mind when i lose because of my own mistakes, but I hate winning based on things like this - i like a match of wits, not a match of knowledge of the UI.

Spazm

Ambassador
Awesome Player
Beating a dead horse - Undo Button

Maybe I just shouldn't play in the morning before I have my coffee. But I'm currently pissed because in two large games, in which I was leading/near leading, a slight misclick has put the whole game in doubt.

In one, it was clicking slightly to the left of "one" and hitting "all" instead. Now instead of another 50 troops, I've left a gift wrapped present for someone else.

In another, I finished 1 theater of attack, and not thinking, hit end assault. I immediately remembered that I had another area I needed to clean up, but alas, no way to go back even though no moves had been made.

I know it's beta, and in warfare small mistakes can mean big changes. But to have games have 20+ turns and 6-10 players hinge on whether my aim was a bit off and I misclicked one/all feels wrong. Undo button please! :banghead:

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
i feel you Spaz, i am 'for' the possible 'undo button' myself! we'll see what happens when they're done tweaking the tourney stuff. :)