• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Why so slow?

Woodruff

Awesome Player
Why does it take so long to load the map? I'm confused by this, as it seems to me that it should be a very simple data load. I've not seen this length of time being necessary on several other similar sites.

Tree-of-Souls

Awesome Player
No, it's not necessary to click on the "troop container" (which actually isn't a clickable item as far as I am aware).

5RGGG.png

Upvote 0

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Just to let y'all know we have a map that's almost ready for release where rolling over a region actually flips switches and toggles lights on the map. its cool stuff. our current maps feature 10% of whats possible.

Upvote 0

khazalid

Awesome Player
load times are 1 min+ for me, running firefox @36.0mbps (apparently). crashes between actions also frequent. hardly worth it for what is, in all honesty, mild graphical and interactive improvement.

maps need to fit with minimal scrolling, or pop-up in new windows, too. the current formatting is irritating as hell.

Upvote 0

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
load times are 1 min+ for me, running firefox @36.0mbps (apparently). crashes between actions also frequent. hardly worth it for what is, in all honesty, mild graphical and interactive improvement.

maps need to fit with minimal scrolling, or pop-up in new windows, too. the current formatting is irritating as hell.

Well thats not cool. I'm on a 16Mbps line with a 10sec map load. There is a map size button with three sizes, the small size should most definitely fit your screen.

Upvote 0

alazyguy

Awesome Player
Map loads within 15 seconds for me.

Maybe your browser add-on/computer specs is the issue?
I'm also on 1920x1080 resolution so the map fits just fine.

I doubt internet connection speed is the bottleneck.

Upvote 0

khazalid

Awesome Player
sitting at 18.0 mbps at the moment, so i guess it's just fluctuating badly at my end if nobody else experiences loading times this extreme (although this is still apparently higher than Badorties').

down to 11 mbps now, that's probably it. guess that's what comes from living in the backwater.

Upvote 0

alazyguy

Awesome Player
Fine, don't believe me when I say that internet speed has nothing to do with it! ;(

Upvote 0

ORBOTRON

O.G.
Awesome Player
Khaz, are you using a wireless card, or a wireless router? From the speeds/ fluctuation you're talking about, it sounds like the speed between your PC and a wireless device, not your actual connection to the internet. Go here --> http://www.speedtest.net/ and it will give you an idea of your connection speed

Upvote 0

ORBOTRON

O.G.
Awesome Player
also you mentioned being in the sticks, are you using dial-up, satellite, wireless?

Upvote 0

Tree-of-Souls

Awesome Player
Speedtest.net says I have a 6.5mbps (wireless) and the map nearly always loads in <10 seconds.

Upvote 0

khazalid

Awesome Player
d/l speed 2.80 mbps (comp currently stating 18.0). pretty limp. perhaps the nearest server being in bloody derry might have something to do with it.

Upvote 0

alazyguy

Awesome Player
Time to load game: 8 seconds.
Speedtest: 1.03mbps.
Conclusion: Internet speed does not matter. Your browser/computer is bottlenecking somewhere.

Your comp stating 18mbps isn't the internet connection speed. It's the stable rate of data transfer that is possible between your computer and wireless router.

Upvote 0

ORBOTRON

O.G.
Awesome Player
I'm on a laptop in a hotel with a piss poor connection and just loaded a game in under 10 seconds. I'm probably on the worst connection MC has seen recently.

1288993588.png

Upvote 0

Tree-of-Souls

Awesome Player
I just had a shitload of programmes open, using just over 3 of my 4GB and a gamepage took 48 seconds to load. I closed everything apart from the one game tab, refreshed the page and it took 11 seconds.

Upvote 0

greenoaks

Awesome Player
load time for me is 3 to 5 minutes, sometime more

i have mobile broadband with an advertised speed of 7.2 mbps. i did that test and it was 0.32 mbps

Upvote 0