• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Poll What to do about points between Jan 2021 and Sept 15, 2023?

Poll

What to do about points between Jan 2021 and Sept 15, 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordBeardmore

Awesome Player
i like the idea of starting fresh with the points only counting post September 15. also i suppose im a bit biased because i didnt play much after the fall of flash, starting playing again a couple months ago. super happy with the progress of the game and ive learned a lot about strategy from a lot of the regulars around these parts. big thanks to all that have been so kind with advice and i look forward to more games and (hopefully) the return of the personnel and diplomacy tabs.
new site, new points!

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
Sheriff, please add do a 'start fresh' option to the poll and run it again. Seems that may be the most popular option.

It will negatively impact some players, like me, who have been around for a long time and have worked our way up the ladder and had the good fortune at D-Day of having held a good ranking ... yet I for one am not opposed to starting fresh.

Plus it will save you and the programmers a whole lot of time and money that, I think, could be better spent elsewhere getting MC back up to full function again ... to the benefit of ALL players old and new.

imho

Onwards and Upwards.

Tapeworm

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
Different version of skewed. All credit for wins and medals, zero negative for losses. Feasible?

I hate inflation too, we all do, but I think a little fluffing would be good for morale. Pass out sunshine, rainbows, and unicorns with gleeful abandon.

It all comes out in the wash, in the long run. And really, at worst, it just means vets get inflated and all the hopeful/potential new members that join will enjoy stealing our lunch even more. We need excitement here. This hurts nobody but cowards. Am I wrong?

Stormcat

Awesome Player
Different version of skewed. All credit for wins and medals, zero negative for losses. Feasible?

I hate inflation too, we all do, but I think a little fluffing would be good for morale. Pass out sunshine, rainbows, and unicorns with gleeful abandon.

It all comes out in the wash, in the long run. And really, at worst, it just means vets get inflated and all the hopeful/potential new members that join will enjoy stealing our lunch even more. We need excitement here. This hurts nobody but cowards. Am I wrong?
I probably have a skewed viewpoint of this skewed version, but bc i joined during beta, I still have the starting rank/score of cadet. If everyone I played in the beginning now got points for beating me (over and over and over, you know who you are!), there will be a lot of promotions given out. Which is fine. But if I only got points for my wins and no losses, I think by now, my rank and score would go up quite a lot. I honestly don't think that's fair, as others while learning had to take the losses while earning their eventual wins. But what I don't think I'd like about it is that I wouldn't get to enjoy the steps along the way, working your way up, winning a medal, etc. So while I'd have much to gain from it, I'd actually rather not skip the part where I get to start at 1225 and go from there.
I'm cool with a fresh start or no points for the Beta days. I was ok with the original skewed formula, too, but the more I think about it, the more I'd prefer for myself, at least, to start at the beginning. I'm actually lucky that I got to practice for a year and that higher rated players didn't hesitate to play games against me.
Maybe higher ranked players' votes should carry more weight as far as a fresh start for all? They would be most adversely (if want to look at it that way) affected.

BadKarma

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Kickstarter
Go with straightest path forward - resetting all players to 0 is fine by me. Nuke it all as if we’re all noobs and have to fight for street cred.

It’ll light the competitive spirit in everyone from the lazy officers who have been coasting to the badass lower ranks who would probably have been high ranking by now!

Billy64

Awesome Player
Even though I only played 3 games before Beta and number 3 would be nice for me, I had to go with 2 because that's what's everyone's been told.

Although if it's not too much trouble, it would be nice if we were able to see our Beta stats (points, wins-losses, etc) somewhere on the site.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter

We'd see massive point inflation on the scoreboard, points records would ALL go by the wayside.

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
So honestly, I don't know when, or even if, points will get reinstated.

However, if they do, is it fair to say, at the very least all games started after Sept 15 will count towards points?

I mean,

no points, all points, and skewed points, (before Sept 15) may or may not happen.... but definitely all points after Sept 15 will happen, if they get reinstated?

needpapertowel

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter

However, if they do, is it fair to say, at the very least all games started after Sept 15 will count towards points?

I mean,

no points, all points, and skewed points, (before Sept 15) may or may not happen.... but definitely all points after Sept 15 will happen, if they get reinstated?
If I'm reading this correctly, and I mean if, then there's a lot of if's and I'm not sure which if means what if.

Tapeworm

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
We'd see massive point inflation on the scoreboard, points records would ALL go by the wayside.
True. My pride might take a big virtual hit. my name would probably disappear.

At this point, though, any old pride, any old scoreboard ego hit, would just be an echo of something that maybe mattered a long time ago.

I'd sacrifice all of that if it brought this site back. I'd give away every last award on my profile. They weren't what mattered anyways.

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council

I mean,

If I'm reading this correctly, and I mean if, then there's a lot of if's and I'm not sure which if means what if.
i am also a bit lost, in part in translation i think. by "if they get reinstated?" you mean if former scores are reinstated? or if points generally will be a part of the site going forward?
it doesnt really matter to me when games start counting towards points again, the sooner the better, so to me sept 15th sounds fine?
i am also not invested in whether we use the no points / all points / skewed points approach to deal with the past, whatever is easiest.
and i would readily give up my score & start afresh if this helps?
medals too (that would hurt a bit, but no pain no gain right).
but i would be sad if playing for points disappeared for good.
vethispic.com%2Fuploaded_images%2F274129-Sad-Puppy.jpg

Last edited:

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
i am also a bit lost, in part in translation i think. by "if they get reinstated?" you mean if former scores are reinstated? or if points generally will be a part of the site going forward?
it doesnt really matter to me when games start counting towards points again, the sooner the better, so to me sept 15th sounds fine?
i am also not invested in whether we use the no points / all points / skewed points approach to deal with the past, whatever is easiest.
and i would readily give up my score & start afresh if this helps?
medals too (that would hurt a bit, but no pain no gain right).
but i would be sad if playing for points disappeared for good.
View attachment 2227

zero out the points and have everyone start fresh after Sept 15th ** WISHLIST - a "no points" option when setting up a new game. IT would be a great incentive for more experienced players to play coaching games with new recruits ... without the outcome affecting their points ... maybe a Trainer Badge / Award of something for 5 / 10 / 25 and 50+ Trainer 'no points' matches win or lose **

Tapeworm

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
zero out the points and have everyone start fresh after Sept 15th

Simple and clean. Archive the old scoreboard for legacy. Maybe make a "dark ages" legacy scoreboard too for the "frozen/scoreless" period in between.

You'll never satisfy everybody with any formula that tries to integrate the different eras. So don't try.

SgtPatton is right. Start us fresh, but with a respectful nod to the past. It's the smartest (and simplest, and easiest) way forward. I think it'll go a long way towards rejuvenating this site, which is what we all want.

Tapeworm

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
Maybe map medal cUDO redit only? I dunno. That might satisfy while leaving out the impossible points conundrum.

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
Simple and clean. Archive the old scoreboard for legacy. Maybe make a "dark ages" legacy scoreboard too for the "frozen/scoreless" period in between.

You'll never satisfy everybody with any formula that tries to integrate the different eras. So don't try.

SgtPatton is right. Start us fresh, but with a respectful nod to the past. It's the smartest (and simplest, and easiest) way forward. I think it'll go a long way towards rejuvenating this site, which is what we all want.
Amen :)

MNatt

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
Looking at this thread and the other poll thread the majority view seems to be:
  • Keep medals and achievements
  • Don't count beta scores
  • Go for the easiest/fastest/cheapest option rather than chasing perfection
Possible options that have some support:
  • Re-set the board to zero if that makes things quicker
  • All-time/legacy board alongside current board
  • Some sort of 'season' scoreboard
  • Some sort of points decay
But general view seems to be that after 2 years of beta, if it comes to a choice, something soon is preferable to something that might be better later.

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
But general view seems to be that after 2 years of beta, if it comes to a choice, something soon is preferable to something that might be better later.
A Big AMEN :)

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers

• Keep medals and achievements - Definitely will keep
  • Don't count beta scores - Probably will not count beta scores (at least not the ones before Sept 15)
  • Go for the easiest/fastest/cheapest option rather than chasing perfection - Still up in the air
  • Re-set the board to zero if that makes things quicker - Won't be quicker, so no need to do it.
  • All-time/legacy board alongside current board - maybe, but that is extra work, and won't be considered until other priorities are completed first
  • Some sort of 'season' scoreboard - same answer as above, maybe, but it's extra work, will be considered after other priorities
  • Some sort of points decay - unlikely. (doesn't make sense, extra work, and no need as far as I can see.)

Status
Not open for further replies.