• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Poll What to do about points between Jan 2021 and Sept 15, 2023?

Poll

What to do about points between Jan 2021 and Sept 15, 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
There has been some discussion about points, so I'm starting a new survey/poll.

I know that 2 years ago I promised that all games were played for fun and would not count towards points. However, I never expected it to last more than a couple months, yet alone 2 years. So now that it has taken so long, I would like to know what you all think when we implement points again.

There are a few hard rules that I'm going to make:
  • All points before Jan 2021 (old engine) will always count.
  • Any games that start after, let's say, Sept 15, 2023, will also count towards points.
So the question is - What about the games between Jan 2021 and Sept 15, 2023?

I have come up with 3 options, but I am open to other ideas.
  1. We count all win/loss points between Jan 2021 - Sept 2023
  2. We do not count any win/loss points between Jan 2021 - Sept 2023
  3. We use a skewed formula to calculate points Jan 2021 - Sept 2023 (described below)
My suggested formula is to reward players for playing for the last couple years, without punishing them too much for having fun. So for #3, I propose this:
  • Players get 100% of the points for each game they won,
  • But only lose 50% of points they would have lost, for each game lost.
Those numbers can change, but it's just my basic idea.

LET ME KNOW!

P.S. All games will count towards medals, so if you won any games in the last 2 years, it will be added to your medal count. You have nothing to lose by this, only to gain.

Stormcat

Awesome Player
I wish we could each rank the 3 choices in order of preference. I had a hard time deciding between 2 of the options

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
I wish we could each rank the 3 choices in order of preference. I had a hard time deciding between 2 of the options

You can choose more than 1 option, and feel free to post suggestions and comments below.

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
nice to have options, and i do like option 3 quite a lot. it should provide some surprises i think. i am also ok with the original suggestion of no points. i changed my vote twice, but my preference is 3, so i left it with that.

matildathehun

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
Personally, I do not care about points at all. Any of those three choices would work for me. So, I'll refrain from voting, but I wanted to pipe up to say that my vote would be "disqualified ballot"... lol

To be clear, I understand others do like points, and if push came to shove, I'd say that yeah, it adds to the game. Winning points feels nice! So I don't begrudge anyone who wants or doesn't want points to count. It's just that I have no preference either way in this regard - I'll happily go with the majority.

-MTH

Stormcat

Awesome Player
I went with 3. I don't like 1 as it's the opposite of the understanding that players were operating under all this time. But I'm fine with 2 as well.

MNatt

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
I won't be losing any sleep over it, but it was made as clear as it could have been that until further notice games wouldn't count for points, so I'll vote for not counting anything.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I'd much rather have the points not count at all, as that was the premise this entire time. I know I've played different knowing that the games didn't count.

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
I am assuming points will count for games created AFTER September? Not end correct?

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter

genghisknows

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
I would like to change my Option choice. I would choose the easiest, most economical, and quickest to implement points back in the game.

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
Let the past be the past. Wipe the slate clean and let everyone start fresh. Wipe the Scoreboard clean as well and start fresh. A New Era. MCII.

My guess is the the outcome would be much the same after 2 or 3 months of play ... the more experienced players would again rise up the score board and the less experienced or less skilled players would have to battle to gain the experience and the skills they need to climb the board.

Last edited:

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
Please do add an option to have "no points" games. These would be handy when higher reanked players offer to coach new players.

The outcome of those games would not affect either players points.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Let the past be the past. Wipe the slate clean and let everyone start fresh. Wipe the Scoreboard clean as well and start fresh. A New Era. MCII.

My guess is the the outcome would be much the same after 2 or 3 months of play ... the more experienced players would again rise up the score board and the less experienced or less skilled players would have to battle to gain the experience and the skills they need to climb the board.
Ummm, NO
It took me 10 years to get my Onyx Assassin's medal. Take that away and I'm going to be PISSED.

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
Ummm, NO
It took me 10 years to get my Onyx Assassin's medal. Take that away and I'm going to be PISSED.

Oh I agree CR ... Definitely NOT to change any of the Medals or Achievements.

Aren't the medals independent of the score? I've been up and down with both my personal score and the related Military Rank that goes with that range of scores and it has not impacted the medals that I had previously won.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Oh I agree CR ... Definitely NOT to change any of the Medals or Achievements.

Aren't the medals independent of the score? I've been up and down with both my personal score and the related Military Rank that goes with that range of scores and it has not impacted the medals that I had previously won.
Yes, medals, etc are independent of score/rank. I have several of the general's medals but am a Captain currently

needpapertowel

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
As far as I know, I'm currently the lowest ranked active player on the entire site, and so I probably have the most to gain from counting points from the last few years.

That said, it has always been that points would not count, so I don't think we should go back and renegotiate that agreement. Onwards and upwards, all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.