• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Speed games

sheasheawanton

Awesome Player
I'm surprised there aren't any speed games going on. Everyone just plays one move a day?

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
I'm surprised there aren't any speed games going on. Everyone just plays one move a day?

Speeds games will be a big part of Majcom in the future. However we are only a week old and don't have enough players to have a consistent group of speed gamers around. They will come though, we have built it.

PointSpecial

Awesome Player
Speeds games will be a big part of Majcom in the future. However we are only a week old and don't have enough players to have a consistent group of speed gamers around. They will come though, we have built it.

Though the max move times are one day, it IS still possible to play a speed game... just play fast and have your opponent do the same!

Robinette

omigod, totally bitchen, furshur, furshur
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Though the max move times are one day, it IS still possible to play a speed game... just play fast and have your opponent do the same!

AKA "Real-Time"

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
and i am sure if you find an active opponent and note them, if able they'll be down to play speedily with you. all you gotta do is ask... ;P

elfword

Awesome Player
For me, I'd like a little more middle ground. Every 10 minutes is too extreme for me. I do have to get some work done occasionally, after all. Every 8 hours would be awesome. I'd play a turn before bed, a turn when I got up in the morning, and as many as we can go through during the rest of the day.

Cassidy

Deputy General
Awesome Player
But honestly there's no reason to implement a middle ground, because it doesn't offer anything but bad timing.

With 5 minute rounds, you're forced into a fast-paced game
With 24 hour rounds, you're able to play a turn at the same time every day, which is lenient but not dead slow

However, with 8 hour rounds, let's say my turn came up at 1am and ended at 9am. I'm usually asleep through all those hours, so bad timing could totally screw you over.

PointSpecial

Awesome Player
So that's why the middle ground shouldn't be 8 hours... maybe 12 hours. That way, if your turn comes up at 1 am, then you have... well... 12 hours to make your move. Maybe it wouldn't work that well, but it will guarantee (in a 1 on 1 game) that you'll move every day (at the slowest). Otherwise, you're going to move every other day (again, at the slowest).

elfword

Awesome Player
I'd much rather play an 8 hour game that risks me missing a turn now and again, than be stuck in a game where there are 2+ players that are missing turns day after day, and creating a 24 hour+ pause in the game for the rest of the players each time.

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
I appreciate your frustration with missed turns, they can really be a drag on the game. We're working on a system that will, if not completely eliminate missed turns (because people shouldn't be thrown out of a game if they miss a turn), streamline games and eliminate the delay from repeated turn-missers.

PointSpecial

Awesome Player
Speed games are available now... and I'm waiting for someone to play! Any takers?

PointSpecial

Awesome Player

Sorry about that. I almost think there should be a separate *start* button or something like that for games of this nature... After I created the game and sat around not playing for about 20 minutes, I opened another browser and started reading a couple of news articles. I checked back... right as I was missing my first turn and I got toasted on the third.

I had my sound off, so a sound wouldn't have mattered... but I wonder if there isn't a way for the browser to change to let you know it's your turn.

I play chess on chess.com and they have both correspondence-type games and live games.

The live games are run differently... I think they're on their own server, they have their own live chat and game invites (separate from correspondence games). They also play a sound when someone comes to your table... and then you click start and play.

Also, on the correspondence games, if you're on the the board after your move (and you're waiting for your opponent) and they move, it switched back to your move... but the message on the browser says "MY MOVE!" to let you know it's time for you to move:

1eaee7c4dfb53c6247e62a705856f28f.png

Having the separate live-game *spot* might be more difficult (to be true, chess.com was live for over 2 years before they set up their live chess section), but the screen already refreshes when it's your turn in a 5 min game... seems like it might be pretty easy to include "MY TURN!" too.

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
We have a FireFox plugin in development and should probably add sound notification to it.

codanostra

switching to missiles!
O.G.
Awesome Player
i agree, speed games should have a start button all players have to push to start the game

Spazm

Ambassador
Awesome Player
Just posted up a speed game...any takers?

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
i totally would, if it wasn't right now... lol.
i'm about to go run some errands, if you're interested later.. let me know. :D

Spazm

Ambassador
Awesome Player
And another one...come on down! (BTW, I love this South America map. By far my favorite thus far, both gameplay and art).

Spazm

Ambassador
Awesome Player
So someone joins my speed game and immediately begins missing turns...not too much fun.