• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Roman Empire

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
Which commands/borders/colours, specifically, are you having trouble with? Maybe I'm too close to it but they look easily differentiated to me... except that purple's too dark, gonna haveta wash that out a little...

I mean I can make the yellows more orangey but then they start to clash with the red and pink commands, or make the greens more bluey but then you get the 'looks like the sea' thing

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
yellows and greens, specifically the greece area and what's north of it?

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
You could also colour all the terts of a command with the same colour - as in most other majcom maps. That way it'll be easier to distinguish between the commands....

hat7rick

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
You could also colour all the terts of a command with the same colour - as in most other majcom maps. That way it'll be easier to distinguish between the commands....

+1

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
how about this

I'll make crete purple so there's no confusion with egypt

Last edited:

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
nice! In my opinion, it's ready to go...

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
Not quite: thers a few things I want to do to it.

Last edited:

patsfan44

Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I would suggest on making the colors a bit more dull or faded.

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
I actually liked the previous version, where the terts where colourless in the middle with only the borders coloured. That version, but with same-coloured commands would be awesome, I think....

patsfan44

Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I actually liked the previous version, where the terts where colourless in the middle with only the borders coloured. That version, but with same-coloured commands would be awesome, I think....

Agreed. I also like the other title for the map with the two arches.

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
Well I think I like the solid colour - for playability mainly - so we're sticking with that.Toned down some of the brighter commands.

patsfan44

Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Cagey this looks really good. Just need to get Shep or Rj now I guess.

ajdedo

I Shot the Sheriff
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
Brighter command colors are actually better for people with color vision problems. About 9 percent of the players here have some sort difficulty distinguishing the different colors.

Things that help are - Brighter more defined colors, and icons with different shapes. Like the Fish and Turtle pieces in Australia, or the Diamond and odd shapes in Duck and Cover.

Some games are unplayable with more than 4 people. Like British Isle for example. The colors are so similar that you can not find enough variance to distinguish more than 4 players. Skunk and Large saves the day a bit, but it is still unpleasant to move your mouse over every player's name at the start of each turn in order to highlight the territories everyone occupies. Sometimes I need to go over the list of players 3 or 4 times in order to memorize where each player is located. I even resort to changing the color of the players several times per turn. Once i decide my plan, I change my color to black, the person I'm attacking to yellow, and everyone else to light blue so I don't get visually confused as to where my target is. Then I need to change everyone back to a different color when my turn or plan changes. And don't even get me started as to what I need to do when I'm playing team games. More often than not, each team is one color and then I highlight each player individually by hovering over their name. And all this is because there are never more than 4 or 5 colors in each map that are easily distinguishable from each other.

Bottom line is - Sure some color combinations may be more artistically pleasing to look at, but for us 9 percent, please use bright primary colors and various shaped icons to make games more playable.

thanks.

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
It looks awesome :)

Malpot

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
Bottom line is - Sure some color combinations may be more artistically pleasing to look at, but for us 9 percent, please use bright primary colors and various shaped icons to make games more playable.

Even though I don't have the difficulties Ajdedo was talking about, I certainly agree. I enjoy how the South American map has flags, how the 12 domains has towers and wings, and how Australia has critters.

The British Isles is really difficult for me too when it comes to team games for trying to keep everyone separate, the colors are just too similar. However if there were some different shapes in there…

I would say give us at least 3 sets with 4 similar colors or shapes though, so we can make quads teams easier to determine. For example:
*Intense red circle, light red circle, intense red square, light red square.
*Intense green fish swimming right, light green fish swimming right, intense green fish swimming left, light green fish swimming left
*Black tower, medium gray tower, black wings, medium gray wings

With that, I could do 3 quads, 6 doubles, or still keep 12 unique players separate. You would want to keep the shapes more in a theme and add blues, yellows and maybe some gradients. But, I really do want my colors to stand out from the map they are on. I hate it when I almost miss someone's single guy left over on the other side of the map because he blends in.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
this discussion of player colors and shapes is certainly something for the cartogrophers to consider, maybe you guys could come up with ideas for shapes for this map? Otherwise it's just a theoretical discussion.

things like Mal posted.....

perhaps a chariot shape, as an example, would be good. Others?

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Love the solid colour version Cagey. Totally agree that all maps need a container colour overhaul, just to get some consistency across maps and so we can actually get some proper team colours. Even the latest and greatest - Balkans - still suffers from a lack of different colours / or the same colour just different shapes, tones, or outlines.

patsfan44

Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I don't want to offend the "9%" ,but I do want the map to look pleasing to my eyes as well.

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Have you tried filling in the sea in solid colour too? Might look even better. I also prefer the first symbol with the 2 arches.