• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Official Points are back!

Official

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Scoreboard is still under construction. Please ignore everything on the Scoreboard for now.

I'll make a proper announcement about the Scoreboard once we have it hooked up again.

LordBeardmore

Awesome Player
@blee @bilsi @LordBeardmore

Yes, it looks like we had some regression to old code. This needs to be repaired.

So just to clarify:
  1. Did the active game list ever sort by game status, like "Turn" on the top? or
  2. Did the active list just sort with "Newest" game number on top?
1. yes, it was turns on top
2. No, it oldest game number first. descending order

Thanks for working on this, its a minor inconvenience, but happy to see points are back and progress continuing!

bilsi

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Los Bambinos
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
The Canadian Club
game is long time loading, worse now. 10-15 seconds...
Still need the spinner gone.
Next on the list should be PW protection...

Last edited:

blee

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
Seems like if the spinner was gone we’d be able to click into our games even if the page isn’t fully loaded.

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Okay, I just passed all the issues on to Ian. Game order is not correct in the lists and search results, teams are not being populated by players names when joining a game via the map page, and the apparent issues of pages taking longer to load. So hopefully he can try and investigate what happened over the next few days, and try and see if he can fix it. Thanks. And I'll let you know once it's done, if you don't notice it yourselves! ;-)

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
The ability to delete games is something I need to look into. I cannot remember if we implemented that feature, or if it is something we still need to do. But it is something that we need to have control over for this very point you're making.

If you are concerned about points, it's for any game that "starts" after April 1, regardless of when they were created.

In other words, come April 1st, every game on the waiting list is for points.

But more to your point, yes, at some point we need to clear out old stagnant games.

Hello majcom peeps! It has been suggested that we would like to clear out some old stagnant games on the game list. @SgtPatton and I have been adding some neutralplayers to help launch some of those 12+ player games quicker.

Before I completely force a game start by adding more neutralplayers, please consider the following:

1. If you are in any game with more than 14 players and you do not wish to play, please remove yourself from those games.

2. If you do wish to play a game with mostly neutralplayers then please join those games.

I will be adding those final neutralplayers in about 4 days time.

Cheers!

Peri

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
Hello majcom peeps! It has been suggested that we would like to clear out some old stagnant games on the game list. @SgtPatton and I have been adding some neutralplayers to help launch some of those 12+ player games quicker.

Before I completely force a game start by adding more neutralplayers, please consider the following:

1. If you are in any game with more than 14 players and you do not wish to play, please remove yourself from those games.

2. If you do wish to play a game with mostly neutralplayers than please join those games.

I will be adding those final neutralplayers in about 4 days time.

Cheers!

Peri
Thanks @periwinkle. There are a lot of old zombie games that are in limbo waiting for enough players to join to launch the game. With the help of the neutralplayers, those zombie games can be finally be launched. It will be nice to see them finally gone and forgotten. Some have been around so long that some of the original players who signed up are also long gone from the MC scene.

As I understand it, because these games pre-date the revised scoring feature, there will be no points gained nor lost for those who hop on the old games and help them disappear.

The first round with NeutralPlayers and long gone players is painfully slow as each NeutralPlayer and each long gone player's turn takes 24 hours in the first round, and then they go AWOL, and the next rounds will go much faster.

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
As I understand it, because these games pre-date the revised scoring feature, there will be no points gained nor lost for those who hop on the old games and help them disappear.

@SgtPatton .... unfortunately you are not correct.... come April 1st, every game on the waiting list is for points.

If you are concerned about points, it's for any game that "starts" after April 1, regardless of when they were created.

In other words, come April 1st, every game on the waiting list is for points.

But more to your point, yes, at some point we need to clear out old stagnant games.

This is why I am waiting at least 4 days to fill it with neutral players because these do in fact count. so....

2. If you do wish to play a game with mostly neutralplayers then please join those games.

EDIT: I will only start games with a game number that starts with a 3

Last edited:

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
This is why I am waiting at least 4 days to fill it with neutral players because these do in fact count. so....
hm. i would hope that whoever is in those games drops out or goes awol, because these large games bring in many hundreds of points and this is hardly a fair accomplishment. i guess it all levels out eventually. but there is no other way to delete those games? or make them not count somehow?

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
hm. i would hope that whoever is in those games drops out or goes awol, because these large games bring in many hundreds of points and this is hardly a fair accomplishment. i guess it all levels out eventually. but there is no other way to delete those games? or make them not count somehow?
Yes that is my concern as well. Unfortunately some of these games were already started with the misunderstanding that these games weren't going to count. Perhaps this need further discussion then?

We currently have games with NeutralPlayers in them.....so where will this line then? For now I will put a pause on starting these games. So we can develop a good threshold first? Hard to tell with so many stagnant games how many players will come back and actually play.

ADD ON: Currently there are games being played that has 50% neutralplayers in them. Like the targets game. Perhaps I wait until I know at least 50% players will play?

Incidently I've been emailing a few former players to come back and help me fill up some of these larger games (20+). So is 50% a good threshold? It may help drive traffic back? Thoughts?

Last edited:

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
bringing back traffic is a great idea, and maybe some easy points are a justifiable incentive. i think you should do whatever is easiest and most efficient for you, it is great that you & sgt are taking this upon yourself. personally i always use a search filter when looking for new games so i am not particularly bothered by the zombie games, but i understand this has been a huge issue for some so i am ok with this solution. and like i said earlier, it will all level out eventually.
if longterm we continue having lots of games with neutrals (which i would like) we should find some solution how to make this fair to those playing regular games. an option to have no points games has been requested before, and i think this would make the most sense in this case too.

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter
bringing back traffic is a great idea, and maybe some easy points are a justifiable incentive. i think you should do whatever is easiest and most efficient for you, it is great that you & sgt are taking this upon yourself. personally i always use a search filter when looking for new games so i am not particularly bothered by the zombie games, but i understand this has been a huge issue for some so i am ok with this solution. and like i said earlier, it will all level out eventually.
if longterm we continue having lots of games with neutrals (which i would like) we should find some solution how to make this fair to those playing regular games. an option to have no points games has been requested before, and i think this would make the most sense in this case too.
I agree once, I'd love to see "no points" games as an option when starting new games.

Also over time, as the neutral players are soundly defeated every time they play .... their free points bonus to the winner, will also continue to decline.

Overtime. the neutral players will have less and less impact on the final score awarded to the victor.

SgtPatton

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
The Canadian Club
Kickstarter

My guess is the spinner is the programmers way of saying the game is loading in the background.

Some programmers use a horizontal thermometer style bar line that advances from left to right, some use a flipping sand hour glass and others use a pie with the pie gradually disappearing as the program loads

That's my guess as to the why the spinner and why it takes so long.

blee

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
My guess is the spinner is the programmers way of saying the game is loading in the background.

Some programmers use a horizontal thermometer style bar line that advances from left to right, some use a flipping sand hour glass and others use a pie with the pie gradually disappearing as the program loads

That's my guess as to the why the spinner and why it takes so long.
That’s the idea behind it, to indicate the page is still loading.

But you don’t need to wait for the page to fully load on the games list page; before the spinner, you could click the top game on the list almost immediately. Now, especially with the page load issues, I’ve had to wait up to a minute sometimes when it’s not necessary.

If the goal is so players don’t get frustrated trying to interact with a page that’s not fully loaded, the current implementation is having the opposite effect. We’ve already had folks with web dev backgrounds chime in on an alternate “loading” config that would be the best of both worlds, but it’s been months without any movement.

LordBeardmore

Awesome Player
That’s the idea behind it, to indicate the page is still loading.

But you don’t need to wait for the page to fully load on the games list page; before the spinner, you could click the top game on the list almost immediately. Now, especially with the page load issues, I’ve had to wait up to a minute sometimes when it’s not necessary.

If the goal is so players don’t get frustrated trying to interact with a page that’s not fully loaded, the current implementation is having the opposite effect. We’ve already had folks with web dev backgrounds chime in on an alternate “loading” config that would be the best of both worlds, but it’s been months without any movement.
my average load time is about 5 seconds and hasnt increased with the new points update, strange that some are experiencing longer load times....

blee

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Kickstarter
my average load time is about 5 seconds and hasnt increased with the new points update, strange that some are experiencing longer load times....
Maybe has to do with the number of games you’re in? I’m in 20.

Stopwatch on 5 loads just now are all exactly the same at about 17s, so down from earlier in the week, but much higher than last week. And prior to the spinner, you could join your top game immediately even if the page didn’t fully load.

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
Maybe has to do with the number of games you’re in? I’m in 20.

Stopwatch on 5 loads just now are all exactly the same at about 17s, so down from earlier in the week, but much higher than last week. And prior to the spinner, you could join your top game immediately even if the page didn’t fully load.
for me it is just the landing page, but this is real slow: almost 20secs. games are loading really fast (under 3 secs).
ps - i am in 5 games

Stormcat

Awesome Player
i get that peri has invited players back, which is wonderful, so it might be too late for this suggestion, but i was thinking maybe finish filling the games with neutral players so that they start, and peri as admin could post in the chat that it's an old stagnate zombie game being populated by neuts and started to get it out of the system, and that is not to be played, so anyone in it should please awol. at least probably most people would be happy to comply