• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

New Options for 1v1 (2 player) Games!!

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I'm not adding stats together; that's what gambit does. I just copied/pasted the output.

With the tool you're using you got 65% output. That's if the (right column) setting is 3 dice vs 2. Obviously not all rolls will be 3 vs 2 which is how you seem to interpret the tool's default setting
4 vs 3 -> roll once; next up is either 3d vsd 2 or 4 vs 1 (or 2 vs 2, which you won't roll)
(So your 65% isn't prefectly accurate)

So this shows 2 things
1 the way you interpret your tool is "incorrect" (I'm guessing this tool probly works best for stacks rather than small numbers.)
2 the findings are similar enough (your 65% and gambit's (59% and 72% which) averages 63%), which means the point I'm making still stands; that with minimaps 1st turn half deploy you get as close as you can to more even odds of either player being the first to get a card. You don't care about that; ppl who want a lvl playing field do.

NO, You are misinterpreting the tool. You put in the number of troops each has and it tells you the likelihood of success, PERIOD. All the way down to a 1v1 if necessary. 1000 iterations displayed.

haWD96lz

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
Spaceballs
NO, You are misinterpreting the tool. You put in the number of troops each has and it tells you the likelihood of success, PERIOD. All the way down to a 1v1 if necessary. 1000 iterations displayed.

I'm busy right now, but I agree with Cards. Happy to work out the true odds of this over the weekend. Its not a large space so we can just calculate it directly.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I'm busy right now, but I agree with Cards. Happy to work out the true odds of this over the weekend. Its not a large space so we can just calculate it directly.

Ah, I knew we had a stats expert, but couldn't remember who it was. Now I remember. Thanks, haWD96lz

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
Just a quick question....why did we try this half troop thing and not the first person deploy thing? Shouldn't we try to get stats on that? It seems people get less antsy because the troops deployment is the same. Not trying to stir the pot..but just asking an honest question. :questionmark:

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Just a quick question....why did we try this half troop thing and not the first person deploy thing? Shouldn't we try to get stats on that? It seems people get less antsy because the troops deployment is the same. Not trying to stir the pot..but just asking an honest question. :questionmark:

Beats me. Someone convinced Sheriff to take MrMarcos away from the new engine work to put this code in. Seems to me like it's not any more important than 1000 other tweaks that are scheduled for the new game engine, but what do I know.

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm

From what I heard (it wasn't from Sheriff directly) the current engine couldn't do the first person deploy thing. But if people don't like a reduced chance of getting a card going first now, what will they say when there's a zero percent chance?

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
From what I heard (it wasn't from Sheriff directly) the current engine couldn't do the first person deploy thing. But if people don't like a reduced chance of getting a card going first now, what will they say when there's a zero percent chance?

well...if it is escalate...and...if the first person just deploys I rather be 2nd in gettingthe reserves....at least I think that could be a good thing....

Last edited:

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
Beats me. Someone convinced Sheriff to take MrMarcos away from the new engine work to put this code in. Seems to me like it's not any more important than 1000 other tweaks that are scheduled for the new game engine, but what do I know.

I agree...let's focus on the new code....tweaks can always be made later...I like to see more traffic here anyway...everyone that has been around for at least 5 years told me that the traffic was awesome for UDOs collecting....

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers

Yeah. Marcos tried to implement a "skip attack and reinforce for the first player" rule, but for some reason it wasn't working properly. So then he tried the "first player gets half the troops" rule, and that worked immediately. So we just left it as that.

====== UPDATE ======

Anyway, here is an update. Since the number of games under the "New Rules" is still small, I'm only showing the 4 most played maps, for the most accurate results.....

|| Percent of 2nd player wins under the Old Rules
|| Percent of 2nd player wins under the New Rules
|| Percentage change under the new rules
|| Map

Old R || New R || Change || Map

39.4 || 46.5 || 07.1% || Classic Evolved
39.5 || 44.3 || 04.8% || Mesopotamia
34.7 || 49.2 || 14.5% || Barbarossa
29.7 || 50.0 || 20.3% || Europe Massive

==== Initial takeaway: =====

• It looks like the larger maps have the greatest impact, which should not be surprising, since they were skewed the most towards a first player win.
  • Originally the second player had a 30-40 percent chance of winning, now it seems they have a 44-50 percent chance. Which seems a lot more fair IMO.

Anyway, looks promising.

Special thanks to Number2 for playing a huge amount of these 1v1 games!

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society

riskyone

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
Kickstarter
Yeah. Marcos tried to implement a "skip attack and reinforce for the first player" rule, but for some reason it wasn't working properly. So then he tried the "first player gets half the troops" rule, and that worked immediately. So we just left it as that.

====== UPDATE ======

Anyway, here is an update. Since the number of games under the "New Rules" is still small, I'm only showing the 4 most played maps, for the most accurate results.....

|| Percent of 2nd player wins under the Old Rules
|| Percent of 2nd player wins under the New Rules
|| Percentage change under the new rules
|| Map

Old R || New R || Change || Map

39.4 || 46.5 || 07.1% || Classic Evolved
39.5 || 44.3 || 04.8% || Mesopotamia
34.7 || 49.2 || 14.5% || Barbarossa
29.7 || 50.0 || 20.3% || Europe Massive

==== Initial takeaway: =====

• It looks like the larger maps have the greatest impact, which should not be surprising, since they were skewed the most towards a first player win.
  • Originally the second player had a 30-40 percent chance of winning, now it seems they have a 44-50 percent chance. Which seems a lot more fair IMO.

Anyway, looks promising.

Special thanks to Number2 for playing a huge amount of these 1v1 games!

Europe Massive went from 30% to 50%, For that map, that's great. Big difference in barbarossa also. I think on Meso and Barbarossa, I would rather go second. Bluebonnet's comment, I would also like to know if that included FF:smokin:

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
Europe Massive went from 30% to 50%, For that map, that's great. Big difference in barbarossa also. I think on Meso and Barbarossa, I would rather go second. Bluebonnet's comment, I would also like to know if that included FF:smokin:

OK Risky, I'll play you and allow you to go 2nd :) Over 1k games, that should be 8 extra wins for me.....I need a lot of W's to catch you in the all time rankings!

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
quick question sheriff. number 2 plays a ton of fixed force nowadays. almost exclusively from what i see since the new 1/2 deploy started.

did you apply the same filters when you ran the data?

https://www.majorcommand.com/forums/threads/9621-Proposed-Changes-to-1v1-(2-player)-games/page2

All data below is:
2 Player Games
Casual 24 Hour
All Reinforcements Types
Chance Only (Not Fixed)

I ran it again today and removed Fixed Force games. (keeping the other filter the same as above)

Classic Evolved increased 0.4 percent from 46.5 to 46.9
And Mesopotamia decreased 0.5 percent from 44.3 to 43.8

The other 2 maps did not change.

Essentially the results excluding FF are the same.

d-flat

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Young Guns
I fail to understand what the problem is with these new rules. Whichever way you choose to look at it, it's got better. I understand that it isn't perfect, but I'm failing to even understand the argument against it.

For me, it has removed so much frustration from the OG that is 1v1 Classic Evolved.

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
I fail to understand what the problem is with these new rules. Whichever way you choose to look at it, it's got better. I understand that it isn't perfect, but I'm failing to even understand the argument against it.

For me, it has removed so much frustration from the OG that is 1v1 Classic Evolved.

There is no problem with the new rules! They made 1v1 games a lot more balanced.

I'm glad it removed the frustration. It would for me too. Now players have the choice of which games they want to play.

LustyNarwhal

Awesome Player
I like this. Are there any plans to integrate this as a selectable option in the standard "Start a Game?"

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Yes, but it would most likely get integrated only for the new game engine (currently beta). There would be too much mucking around with the frontend/backend of the current site, and it might break.

Hortik

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
The Embassy
T.O's.
Young Guns
Kickstarter
HI Sheriff,

Do you think it is possible to have an option on the "Create a Game"-Page where we can just tick a box if we want the new rules?

Just to avoid coming back on the forum and copy paste the sentence :D.

Cheers,
Hortik

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
HI Sheriff,

Do you think it is possible to have an option on the "Create a Game"-Page where we can just tick a box if we want the new rules?

Just to avoid coming back on the forum and copy paste the sentence :D.

Cheers,
Hortik

Hi Hortik,
I think that falls under the Sheriff's comment about 'too much mucking about with the frontend/backend'. Going to have to wait for the new game engine to have it as a set option.

Hortik

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
The Embassy
T.O's.
Young Guns
Kickstarter
Alright,

My bad I didnt read the previous questions :banghead: