• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

New map: 1984

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
i am still in my first couple of games. but i am quite liking this map. first of all: great looks. i think i do get ballz criticism re the probability of securing a superstate & the usefulness of bombardments.. # of players should play a big role in this, is there a recommendation? but what i really do like about this map is that it makes me reevaluate tried & tested tactics, enough is just off enough & makes everything feel quite fresh to me: starting with stacks of 4 - it can be a huge advantage having all 3 dice at ones disposal, but pretty risky to try if everyone got them. the martial law in the superstates feels quiet different to me than the decay in africa, and seems to come into play in multiple ways depending on the settings. so far i really suck unfortunately. but i would like to change that, so i think i found a map i will play a lot in the near future. thanks again for this shepherd.

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I can see why you'd give 4 troops to every region at the beginning of the game but I'm currently in a game where people don't attack at all... I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced a game starting off like that?
In the handful of games I've played so far, the most common strategy has been to pound each others' superstate regions down to 1s and let the server do the rest of the damage - it's quite effective, and frustrating to be on the receiving end of. If you play more games on the map you may find that each game has its own flavor.

linkinpark

Awesome Player
Generals
The Embassy
In the handful of games I've played so far, the most common strategy has been to pound each others' superstate regions down to 1s and let the server do the rest of the damage - it's quite effective, and frustrating to be on the receiving end of. If you play more games on the map you may find that each game has its own flavor.

I'm sure it does, especially on such a special map. Maybe it has more to do with the escalate settings and people not wanting to turn in the cards first.

BadElmer

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
Excellent map! I've been playing like crazy (finished 8 and currently playing 17) and just got control of the airships for the first time I've seen. I understand correctly the benefits, but what was unexpected was that when I started that turn all of my troops immediately turned black (same as neutral) and ALL in martial law reverted to 1's. It lasted just long enough to see it and be a little freaked out and then my browser restarted itself but supersized. I then had to use Task Manager to shut down Chrome and open it again. When I reopened the game everything was back to normal, I was able to turn in cards, deploy and use the airship. Now I THINK it was likely a conflict issue as I had other games open in other windows. But IF it was written in by the programmers to give a really Big Brothery feel to the game, kudos to you. I covered all my camera lenses with tape just in case.

Again, thanks for the map; maybe my favorite so far.

Last edited:

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Now I THINK it was likely a conflict issue as I had other games open in other windows. But IF it was written in by the programmers to give a really Big Brothery feel to the game, kudos to you.
Nope, that had nothing to do with the programming.

By the way, the expression on your face when your troops went dark was priceless. All the guys here in the Ministry of Gaming got a kick out of it.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
It would seem that the server will NOT eliminate a player in an Assassin game.

To conclude, the only situation in which we've seen the auto-decay-to-neutral result in a player elimination is when there are only two players left in the game. While this was not planned, it's a somewhat happy accident, and gives us much to think about as the re-code progresses.

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
It would seem that the server will NOT eliminate a player in an Assassin game.

To conclude, the only situation in which we've seen the auto-decay-to-neutral result in a player elimination is when there are only two players left in the game. While this was not planned, it's a somewhat happy accident, and gives us much to think about as the re-code progresses.

i am not sure i understand this. might be too tired. but say i am in an assassin game & am reduced to having single units only in a superstate before my turn. at the start of my turn: i will not be eliminated? (or eliminated & then revived back to single units?) so it is not possible to use martial law to eliminate ones target? hm.

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
i am not sure i understand this. might be too tired. but say i am in an assassin game & am reduced to having single units only in a superstate before my turn. at the start of my turn: i will not be eliminated? (or eliminated & then revived back to single units?) so it is not possible to use martial law to eliminate ones target? hm.

Absolutely positive correct.
We just played a 4 person assassins to test. I was the guinea pig.
I had a single troop left on 1 region within a superstate.

I was not killed and allowed to deploy 3 troops.

Redstorm

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
and just for clarification, once, the very same thing happened when playing a mercenary game. what shepherd was referring to as maybe a happy result is that only a player can eliminate another player in merc and/or assassin........not the server via autodecay. and really isn't that how it should be? LOL probably stating the obvious but hell "its a Saturday nite and I aint got nobody...got no money and I just got paid"

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Personally, if I had my druthers, I'l allow the server to eliminate someone in an assassin game. It is, or should be, a valid assassin strategy to knock your target into that position and win the game.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Personally, if I had my druthers, I'l allow the server to eliminate someone in an assassin game. It is, or should be, a valid assassin strategy to knock your target into that position and win the game.
Agreed, but I don't see any changes being made to the current/to be obsolete game engine. Let's get that added to the new game engine to-do list.

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
Agreed, but I don't see any changes being made to the current/to be obsolete game engine. Let's get that added to the new game engine to-do list.

yes please do add this to the to do list.. i am agreeing with cards here, would be nice. after all, other players could potentially do the work for me too, and eliminating someone via the 1984 mastercommand server has a certain elegance to it..

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
+1 with that strategy

F15FreeEagle

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
T.O's.

:beers:

Another +1 here

F15FreeEagle

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
T.O's.
Nope, that had nothing to do with the programming.

By the way, the expression on your face when your troops went dark was priceless. All the guys here in the Ministry of Gaming got a kick out of it.

:rofl:

Redstorm

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
changed my mind. too many damn good players agreeing to the server kill for me to disagree. as you say, a kill strategy is valid whatever the method for the plunge of the knife to the heart.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
changed my mind. too many damn good players agreeing to the server kill for me to disagree. as you say, a kill strategy is valid whatever the method for the plunge of the knife to the heart.

But only for assassin. The way the server is not allowing a server kill for merc is OK with me. Merc is different because one person doesn't win the game when a target is eliminated, plus the points issue in mercs is very different.

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
But only for assassin. The way the server is not allowing a server kill for merc is OK with me. Merc is different because one person doesn't win the game when a target is eliminated, plus the points issue in mercs is very different.

though an option might also be that a player taken out by the server in a merc game does not lose any points (unless 2 players left) but is simply taken off the game grid - poof. but i agree, in merc i am ok with status quo too, assassin is where i feel it matters that a player can meet death by server.

once

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
hi.. shouldnt i be able to start 1984 games myself by now? maybe i am missing sth..