• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Medals

marc369

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Is there anyway that you can view your progress towards a medal?

BeanZ

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
hahaha, I've gone through all of my UDO's for each of the maps in the game finder..,

Probably that's a bit too tedious though

Upvote 0

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
Yep. Game finder, 10 key, excel, pivot table and some count functions.

I can get about 200 games and hours. I've logged 1100 of my 1300 wins so far. I am a lot farther away from my onyz on classic evolved than i thought.

Beanz and Marc, we have some more battles to do. :) I am noob hunting

I am working my way through dorcee and th-child first. filling in others to keep game count up. so it may take awhile to get to all my friends on all the maps i need head counts for.

Upvote 0

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
Yep. Game finder, 10 key, excel, pivot table and some count functions.

I can get about 200 games and hours. I've logged 1100 of my 1300 wins so far. I am a lot farther away from my onyz on classic evolved than i thought.

I know my way around excel and pivot tables pretty well, but getting the right mix of settings on "Game Finder" slows me down. How do you get all 500 (or 1000 or whatever) of you games to load. And then how do you copy/paste/special etc. into excel to get enough raw data to make it worthwhile.

Please share (with pictures if you are so inclined).

:))

Upvote 0

Givati

Awesome Player
How do you get all 500 (or 1000 or whatever)

I can't answer the rest of the questions you asked him, but if you want to get more results you can go about it in two ways. You can either append the parameter &max-results=500, "or 1000 or whatever", and get it all in one bulk, or if you want to have them in more manageable dosages, of 100s, append the parameter &stand-index=101 so that you'd get 100 more results, numbered 101-200, and you can keep doing that starting at whatever result you wish.

Upvote 0

Givati

Awesome Player
And then how do you copy/paste/special etc. into excel to get enough raw data to make it worthwhile.

Sounds like a meticulous, painstaking data entry work to me. Certainly not "worthwhile".

Upvote 0

Givati

Awesome Player

Start in the morning ...

wpid-ants-working-together.jpg

Here's where you'll be by sunset ...
Working-ants-ss_652974792.jpg

Working-Ant.jpg

Upvote 0

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
Not quite that bad Givati. :)

Givati was right on the & max results. Someone mentioned in in a forum thread. I just copy that section from the casual game finder into the find a specific game search and adjust accordingly. Most of the issue was resolved through filtering though. Doing team games first, 6'ers, 5'ers, qauds, triples and doubles and 1v1 in each specific map. So for each specific map, I applied about 6 filters to narrow down the scope of each session i input data. That way I could finish a section and keep track of my progress easily. The only time when I had to change the max results was for 1v1 on classic evolved where i played over 800 games.

No way i could figure out to copy and paste the data. So I used my accounting skills. 10-keying is being really good with the far right of the keyboard for numbers. I started my professional career in a CPA office and had to run calculations back and forth as a proof. Even in 2001 i was still doing that,

So I had my laptop on my left viewing the information. And manually keyed in my victories to my desk top. Too much effort to do the losses as well. 4 columns: game#, number of players on team, map name, defeated opponent name. Then I just pivoted the data for my views. At 200 an hour, I have 1,100 of 1,300 done. I just sit down whenever i am bored and do it in 30 minute increments.

For the fun of it, I then added a vlookup to add an indicator if the opponent was on my friends list. I already started some games to specifically hunt for the udo's i need from friends before branching out. That way when people accuse me of noob hunting, I can more accurately describe it as medal hunting and need to branch out since i already beat all my close associates on all maps.

But i can easily find what maps I have beat people on or what team settings.

While not 100% accurate due to the manual input process, it is close enough.

And chilly, I've only beat you in doubles and quads on 2 different maps. We play on the same side too much. Open for some games? LOL

Upvote 0

Robinette

omigod, totally bitchen, furshur, furshur
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Start in the morning ...

wpid-ants-working-together.jpg

Here's where you'll be by sunset ...
Working-ants-ss_652974792.jpg

Working-Ant.jpg

I like this guy :itsme:

Oh, and Givati, Purple happens to be my favorite color, so it's fine when it doesn't wash off :pilot:

Upvote 0

BeanZ

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Yeah, I couldn't find a way to get the data off the game finder and into excel (the add data from web needs it to be in a table) without just manually adding it all :(

Yep givati was right with the
You can either append the parameter &max-results=500, "or 1000 or whatever", and get it all in one bulk

Youve got to make sure you get rid of the dash though, so it's
&maxResults=500
or another large number

I Just used a simple count function and some if functions to show UDO's and medals...
For the fun of it, I then added a vlookup to add an indicator if the opponent was on my friends list. I already started some games to specifically hunt for the udo's i need from friends before branching out. That way when people accuse me of noob hunting, I can more accurately describe it as medal hunting and need to branch out since i already beat all my close associates on all maps.
Hahaha, I never thought of that one GTI ;)

Here's what mine looks like
And yes I do have too much time ;)
excel-UDOs_zpsec62d4b4.png

Upvote 0

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
There was a bigger purpose than just tracking wins. I see it as an investment in saving my time. I want to make a run to be on the most decorated list. You don't get medals by playing the same crew time and again on your favorite map. And games take a long to to finish in casual. So by pinpointing who i need, i can be much more effective. I haven't thought it all out, but i expect it will take a year before i start to come close to KFD at 44 or so medals. Assuming a natural progression of his medals if he does not start medal hunt in the same fashion i do.

Upvote 0

Givati

Awesome Player
I like this guy :itsme:

Oh, and Givati, Purple happens to be my favorite color, so it's fine when it doesn't wash off :pilot:

Thanks *cheeks getting purple as I'm blushing*. It's my favorite color as well.

LZ8N1Dq.jpg

Purple is the color of my military unit's dress uniform berets, and it's basically "the color of the unit". Anything from our towels to our underwear is purple :)

AO4MPrd.jpg

In my days, (the 90s) our slogan used to be "Purple does not wash off in water" because the unit used to be an amphibious assault unit, and we specialized in attacking from the sea.
ziJvSCg.jpg

AjVdV9V.jpg

So that's where the saying originated.

These days the seals do that, and my unit focuses on reconnaissance, and counter terror, but the saying stuck. It still means "Once you are purple, you'll always remain purple, it's a stain for life, and it doesn't wash off in water".

Upvote 0

marc369

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Nice work Beanz, I have made one up a spreadsheet now I need to input the Data....

thanks for all the informative answers :)

Upvote 0

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
I have to admit I'd be clueless on how to set up a spreadsheet. Not done it since school... I am hoping some extremely kind soul would be willing to upload a copy of their spreadsheet for us all to use?! I mean a fresh one for people to fill in themselves. Would that be possible? And would you be so kind if it was? :D

Beanz's one is awesome... =)

Upvote 0

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
While beanz is nice, I don't see how it would be able to count team medals. Only map medals. Unless he is showing a pivot.

If someone wants mine i would be happy to email it to a nonmajcom email address. I hate figuring out how to upload information on to here.

I would be more than happy to explain how to change stuff up once the person receives it. I can also add in some how to and clean it up.

Upvote 0

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
That'd be fantastic Gtivan, Thanks! I'm sure there will be a few takers on that offer.

Maybe at some point it could even be uploaded to it's own stickied thread with an explanation for spreadsheet noobs like myself :D
as well as the information contained here about game searching, etc. I think it would be appreciated by many people.

Upvote 0

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
Sent you mine as an example. Feel free to share, I changed it up enough and deleted enough so people will not have a true idea of where I am at. But I did leave enough information to show how it works.

I can make a more User friendly version also. Only take an hour or 2 to make it deluxe.

Upvote 0

Givati

Awesome Player
Yeah, I couldn't find a way to get the data off the game finder and into excel (the add data from web needs it to be in a table) without just manually adding it all :(

Here's what mine looks like
And yes I do have too much time ;)
excel-UDOs_zpsec62d4b4.png

I've got to admit your impressive table left me speechless. I think you deserve a medal just for the hard labor you put into it :)

:elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :congrats: :elefant: :elefant: :congrats: :elefant: :congrats: :elefant: :elefant: :congrats: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

Upvote 0

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
Looks like excel files (.xls only) can be attached to messages.

Please make sure to scan for virus before/after you upload/download these.

Upvote 0

stone123

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
That`s impressive BeanZ

I wish i new computers

Upvote 0