• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Leaderboard page(s).

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
The subject of the Scoreboard in general, and points in specific, is NOT really about peoples feelings towards points. It IS all about structuring a scoreboard that is above all fair, and inclusive. The only purpose for a scoreboard is to show wins and losses. Whatever the scoreboard means to you personally, is not important here. Everyone will have varying levels of interest about their points, or lack of. But the scoreboard IS the measure of skill, that is being promoted on this GAME-SITE.

So, let us continue on, to see about making a Scoreboard that is the best it can be.

Okay, I've had this exact conversation with you before in another place, and IIRC the result of that was the determination that no scoreboard can be perfect, or no one scoreboard anyway. Rank is always going to be a complex mix of skill, time, luck, game choice, teammates, opponent choice, and so on. But bear in mind that rank is still really easily understood. You gain points from winning, you lose points from losing, and how many points you have determines your rank (and thus your scoreboard position). We could probably gin up something more complicated, something that takes into account some element of the complex mix listed above. But it would be just that, more complicated, more impenetrable to the average user, and I'd say that's a Bad Thing.

To risk an analogy, advanced sabermetric shit like VORP and BABIP or DIPS might properly determine the value of a pitcher, they're complex enough that the average fan can't really understand, preferring flawed but more populist statistics like ERA or W/L record.

If you've got a better idea for a scoreboard, one that I could explain to a complete noob in one sentence (the way I can with a rank-based scoreboard), then I'm all ears.

mapguy

Awesome Player
Okay, I've had this exact conversation with you before in another place, and IIRC the result of that was the determination that no scoreboard can be perfect, or no one scoreboard anyway. Rank is always going to be a complex mix of skill, time, luck, game choice, teammates, opponent choice, and so on. But bear in mind that rank is still really easily understood. You gain points from winning, you lose points from losing, and how many points you have determines your rank (and thus your scoreboard position). We could probably gin up something more complicated, something that takes into account some element of the complex mix listed above. But it would be just that, more complicated, more impenetrable to the average user, and I'd say that's a Bad Thing.

To risk an analogy, advanced sabermetric shit like VORP and BABIP or DIPS might properly determine the value of a pitcher, they're complex enough that the average fan can't really understand, preferring flawed but more populist statistics like ERA or W/L record.

If you've got a better idea for a scoreboard, one that I could explain to a complete noob in one sentence (the way I can with a rank-based scoreboard), then I'm all ears.

I agree with you. points is the best choice for the default scoreboard. But some people would like to see how they rank in other categories like most medals, longest streaks, etc...

I can envision a scoreboard tab just as it is now, when you click on it it takes you to a points listing just as it does now, but added are a number of tabs that take you to other listings. These subcategories can be a plethora of different stats that MC would like to promote. (a little something for everyone).

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
I would say "a little something for everyone" is definitely on our radar. Personally I'd like to see a more comprehensive scoreboard with tabs and what not, tho one can go too far, given the galaxy of options and game types (especially once more maps start to roll out), for instance I don't see a "classic Evolved 5p standard escalate 3 anywhere forts" scoreboard being desirable. But scoreboard for maps and given game types (singles, merc, dubs, etc) would be cool. And I'm certainly glad to see we've found some common ground here. :D

AAFitz

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
I would say "a little something for everyone" is definitely on our radar. Personally I'd like to see a more comprehensive scoreboard with tabs and what not, tho one can go too far, given the galaxy of options and game types (especially once more maps start to roll out), for instance I don't see a "classic Evolved 5p standard escalate 3 anywhere forts" scoreboard being desirable. But scoreboard for maps and given game types (singles, merc, dubs, etc) would be cool. And I'm certainly glad to see we've found some common ground here. :D

More options for stats the better. Everyone likes to play the game differently, and keep track of those differences in their own way. More stats allows for them to use different benchmarks to set objectives and have some fun playing the game. Some statistics literally may mean nothing to anyone or most anyone except an individual or small groups of them.

However, access to those individual stats allow everyone to keep track of those stats that they like most, and thereby benefits everyone. Stats also help one improve their game in a very real way, not to mention, highlight their weaknesses.

samular

Ambassador
Awesome Player
Didn't read this whole thread, but one reasonable scoreboard feature would be, I think, expandable (or links to) longer lists for All Time COD and current COD, as well as Total OD.

mapguy

Awesome Player
OK, it seems that a list is needed. Lets see if we can compile a list of all the different stats that people would like to see. Then run a poll to see which ones are favored.

mapguy

Awesome Player
Still looking forward to seeing this.
Maybe in the future if I really get bored, I will try to break this record. But since I do NOT see any real skill evolved, I am just not that interested.

Evan

Jr. Programmer I
O.G.
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Maybe in the future if I really get bored, I will try to break this record. But since I do NOT see any real skill evolved, I am just not that interested.

I'm about to beat you in a 1v1... and frankly, um, I suck.

Maybe you have a comeback planned... knocking on wood. ;)

mapguy

Awesome Player
I'm about to beat you in a 1v1... and frankly, um, I suck.

Maybe you have a comeback planned... knocking on wood. ;)

For you to say that, does show that you suck. Pick your rank up a few notches, then maybe by then you will know what a lame comment that was. HaHa, just pullin your chain.

Last edited:

zspBANNED

Awesome Player
For you to say that, does show that you suck. Pick your rank up a few notches, then maybe by then you will know what a lame comment that was.

It's pretty embarrassing that you would lose to someone who you say, sucks so bad. But this little cutesy conversation is unimportant. As Cassidy would say, "just stop."

To get to the more "important" matter at hand, I'd like to see you win 49+ consecutive 1v1 games instead of making the countless amount of excuses not to. You know just as well as I do that you can't do it. You can't. You won't because you know you can't.

PS - pick your rank up a few notches, champ.

Evan

Jr. Programmer I
O.G.
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
For you to say that, does show that you suck. Pick your rank up a few notches, then maybe by then you will know what a lame comment that was.

hahaha WOW.

Wanna put your $ where your mouth is, sir?

(and please dont get so emotional. Im a software engineer and I play risk for fun and for software testing. I am not very good. And I believe my victory in our 1v1 was in fact a skillless lucky win. And my comment was not nearly as lame as your reply ;) )

EDIT: seriously though mapguy, my comments are meant in good fun. I don't mean to irritate you. I hope you don't take it that way.

Last edited:

mapguy

Awesome Player
It's pretty embarrassing that you would lose to someone who you say, sucks so bad. But this little cutesy conversation is unimportant. As Cassidy would say, "just stop."

To get to the more "important" matter at hand, I'd like to see you win 49+ consecutive 1v1 games instead of making the countless amount of excuses not to. You know just as well as I do that you can't do it. You can't. You won't because you know you can't.

PS - pick your rank up a few notches, champ.

stay tuned, I can almost guarantee that this silly record will be broken tomorrow.

mapguy

Awesome Player
hahaha WOW.

Wanna put your $ where your mouth is, sir?

(and please dont get so emotional. Im a software engineer and I play risk for fun and for software testing. I am not very good. And I believe my victory in our 1v1 was in fact a skillless lucky win. And my comment was not nearly as lame as your reply ;) )

I did not mean it to come off as it did. Just trying to bat around some friendly banter.

Evan, I just came off of a Britain game that screwed me over pretty good, so maybe that might have something to do with my unpleasant tone.

First it would NOT let me show the names, which is very confusing on that map to see the connections for all those insets.

Then, I made the run for the knockout and catch a player with 5 cards. I was successful, but when I cashed it would NOT let me place the armies. It took the cards but kept the bonus. I had it all set to sweep the last player off, but lost instead. ...What a drag.

Last edited:

Evan

Jr. Programmer I
O.G.
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
I did not mean it to come off as it did. Just trying to bat around some friendly banter.

Evan, I just came off of a Britain game that screwed me over pretty good, so maybe that might have something to do with my unpleasant tone.

First it would NOT let me show the names, which is very confusing on that map to see the connections for all those insets.

Then, I made the run for the knockout and catch a player with 5 cards. I was successful, but when I cashed it would NOT let me place the armies. It took the cards but kept the bonus. I had it all set to sweep the last player off, but lost instead. ...What a drag.

That totally sucks. And I'm glad that I was misunderstood. Typing isn't always the best at expression.

Did you try refreshing after you cashed by any chance? (I know it doesnt matter now... Im just trying to troubleshoot it and that might offer me a clue). Thanks.

mapguy

Awesome Player
That totally sucks. And I'm glad that I was misunderstood. Typing isn't always the best at expression.

Did you try refreshing after you cashed by any chance? (I know it doesnt matter now... Im just trying to troubleshoot it and that might offer me a clue). Thanks.

Yeah, I tried everything but putting my fist through the monitor. lol.

VetaBANNED

Awesome Player
How about a short term leaderboards for like a given month or week. That way new players have a chance to get to the top of something (e.g. most opponents defeated on Far East Asia for the week).

Edit: Also, these leaderboards could change between weeks, months, etc. So that only a few populate the leaderboards at any given time (e.g. next week the random leaderboard would be for the Most Kills on Classic Evolved or something).

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
How about a short term leaderboards for like a given month or week. That way new players have a chance to get to the top of something (e.g. most opponents defeated on Far East Asia for the week).

Edit: Also, these leaderboards could change between weeks, months, etc. So that only a few populate the leaderboards at any given time (e.g. next week the random leaderboard would be for the Most Kills on Classic Evolved or something).

I think this is a great idea. Pretty much along the same idea as the achievement points you can earn on every xbox game. They don't change the purpose of the game or winning conditions, but they do give you something different to shoot for and allow you to modify your play style to achieve it. Cool idea.