• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Leaderboard page(s).

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
And I simply posted some other quotes, and all in the grand scheme of creating a satirical post, with the effect of saying....who cares? Its just a game, and anyone who misses that is the real loser.

And further, even if I am an elitist snob....who cares? Either way, none of it applies to you, really.

it is not all in the grand scheme of creating a satirical post, or maybe that is YOUR agenda..
being on a forum and posting information relevant to a topic is not saying that someone misses that this is "just a game".. i agree with you there, it is just a game, and i think what asunder is saying, is it doesn't really matter who wins or loses.

and if we're involved in the same game as you're involved in, inevitably, your energy/your agenda/& any negative attitude thrown, WILL effect and apply to us... whether you choose to agree with that or not.

zspBANNED

Awesome Player
It seems to me that winners are less afraid to lose than losers, who never risk trying to win. I bet Chopra would agree.:biggrin:

Okay, Mr. I-Pretty-Much-Only-Play-Doubles-B/c-It's-An-Almost-Guaranteed-Win

AAFitz

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
lol ... ofcourse i see you're point silly. and to answer your question to your point.. i think we all care in some way, shape or form.

However, you are incorrect as I serve to see past these ego agenda's and i am quite honest about my motivations.
Quoting other people doesn't do it for me so to speak, but i do like to share information relevant to topics... and in this case being the "Leaderboard" over and under-achieving seem to nestle in perfectly. : )

In the interest in not continuing the misunderstandings here, ive deleted the joking with you here, except for this one...

Either way, you are free to psychoanalyze myself and all those that are above or below your score....but as freud said, the Irish cant be psycho analyzed.

Last edited:

zspBANNED

Awesome Player
Haha, you know I'm just messin with ya Fitzy. Although you should start sweatin it out right now, I'm comin for that CDO streak! :p

zspBANNED

Awesome Player
I was just about to send you a pm saying lose, lose, lose.

Seriously though. I really hope you lose. Im not sure my fragile ego can possibly handle the pain of not being at the top of nearly every scoreboard in here. It has been a long time goal of me and Ive literally based my entire self-esteem on it. :|

I don't think you realize how bad I want to build upon the sarcastic foundation you've just laid out. But, being that I'm a post away from being booted from the site, that's not a plausible option at the moment.

Anyway uh...hopefully this streak doesn't end any time soon; but I think it will :(

Last edited:

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
I specifically stated it was my agenda, and most often is. If it is misunderstood and taken too seriously, I can not help that. Its a forum and not everyone understands some of the more subtle forms of written communication. Quite frankly, you are arguing a different conversation, and I am specifically stating it doesnt matter who wins or loses to anyone else on the game except perhaps the person winning or losing.....however, so much energy focused on analyzing those who are winning, or losing, does make me question that...lol

However, any negative energy you throw WILL also effect and apply to us, whether you choose to agree with that or not...and while Im joking around with asunder here a bit....I see some possible accusations of me being an elitist snob and now one of throwing negative energy.

All I can say is fully read my posts again. Ive used some self-effacing humor so profusely as to possibly be guilty of harassing myself. Im sorry if you missed it, and took everything at face value, inexplicably...but the posts are there, and a careful read will pretty much confirm it. You really are gonna have to lighten up in here. If this place goes public, and you continue to try to jump into the middle of every discussion like this and imply official censure, you are not only going to be very busy, but very busy finding new players. I genuinely do not understand how you can be taking this seriously on this one. I assume you think youre defending your friend on some level, but in this case your friend is most capable of defending herself....but more importantly, has nothing do defend against...besides some counter humor perhaps, at worst, with the slightest of a sarcastic edge. The only serious posts in here are yours and this one to be honest...

i am no more guilty of jumping to conversations and forum posts as you, or any other user on this site. staff or not.

a forum is open for anyones thoughts/suggestions/or ideas.. my being staff and you having a problem with almost anything i feel worthy about leaving a comment on, is hardly going to affect our user count.

you know some people, actually come here to play the game, the only thing deterring users right now, in my mind.. is seeing 20+ new games started by you and zsp almost daily, with the same settings on the same map... to anyone whose already lost once, and wants to experience winning a game, they certainly aren't going to achieve that playing against you two.

i'm glad to know there will be a new implementation hiding multiple games with the same settings..because, it's pretty obvious it's needed/necessary...

and as for re-reading your posts, i have read them.. and i see no point in repeating that act. i'm certainly not going to find anything NEW in them, it's all pretty much right there, you know, you're opinion.

i agree with some of what you've said, and disagree with other parts of what you've said...
i suppose that's how opinions work. you cultivate your opinion, and voice it.. if others disagree, they disagree, if they agree, they agree.. but making someone feel there opinion is invalid simply because they don't see things your way, well, if you're not an elitist snob Fitz, what are you?

zspBANNED

Awesome Player
Sooo....mapguy's leaderboard idea?

Uh..nay to the multiple pages. Nada to extending it across the full page. Nope to making their spot on the leaderboard bigger (it's pretty obvious they're up at the top). Yes to more leaderboards. Sí to maybe including more info on each player's line.

I particularly would like to see a reorganization of the leaderboard, at least moving some things around. The most decorated leaderboard, in my opinion, isn't that cool, shouldn't be up top.

zspBANNED

Awesome Player
ghost said:
to anyone whose already lost once, and wants to experience winning a game, they certainly aren't going to achieve that playing against you two.
Damn right, we're unbeatable. The earlier someone learns this, the easier their lives will be.
you know some people, actually come here to play the game, the only thing deterring users right now, in my mind.. is seeing 20+ new games started by you and zsp almost daily, with the same settings on the same map...

Sorry, I tried to resist...just couldn't do it.

But that's a pretty hefty accusation there, ghosty; very quickly and easily tossed around given the depth of what you are saying about us. I want to make sure I am fully understand what you are saying. So what you are saying is that the single reason, the chief detriment to this site, is that Fitz and I kick too much ass? Yeah, we found a map/settings that work. You've carried on your tirade of "who cares about winning?" and "winning's not everything" in multiple occasions, and honestly, I think you make a very valid point. Sure, you say this should be a place to chill, roll a couple dice, eliminate a couple people here and there and I get that. But as Bado said earlier, some people view this in a different light than you do. Others, like myself (I'll be upfront about it) enjoy winning and will maximize my chances by choosing a game type that works best for me. As much as you or anyone else might not agree with me, I would say winning's NOT everything to me. But I'd like to think I'm a somewhat talented Risk player who will certainly try to win every game to the best of my ability. I'm not gonna go into a game, and blitz the hell out of everything and kinda hope that I'll come out on top at the end. I'm going to use a strategy that I deem fit given the situation, and I'll try to win.

At the same time, you say that we have 20+ games up almost daily. That is A LOT of games, ghost, a bit more than I have the time to play. At the moment, I believe we have one active game with the settings/map you mention, and only 3 awaiting players, which happen to have been awaiting players for days now. So yes, those games will remain there b/c obviously no one has joined them.

I hope you receive my next point in it's intended light: I think a lot of people here, including yourself sometimes, discredit the intelligence of any newcomers. What I mean by that is that I see all the time, that a lot of us view the newbies as people who know nothing and cannot quickly figure out how things run here, and which games to play vs. not to play. I know that maybe some newbies want to come in and just jump right into a game and start off their majcom career with a bang; but in my opinion, I think more often than not, the new user takes a look around, checks out the forum, maybe the chat, and maybe the leaderboard as well. Displayed for all to see without having to scroll down is AAFitz' and my name multiple times on the leaderboard. I'm sure, at least with Fitz, they might remember his name since he is currently #1 so when they begin to join (or start, which they very well can do on their own, without having to play against us!), they might be deterred from playing against us..or..they'll see if they can take on the challenge. Even if they jumped right into playing a game without knowing anything about our current ranks and our ass-kicking history, in most cases, we haven't been playing the same users at the same time in multiple games. Some players, like CPain for instance, we beat, and he chose to come back for a rematch in another game, well after the other was over. This was his choice. He knows he got beat before. He chose to play again. To use the argument that he doesn't know any better and that he's only joining games that happen to be open does not hold any water, b/c he has the ability to start up any game he wants to. It's a very simple process, even for a newbie.

In an unrelated point, are you insinuating that we should not play the game types that we find most enjoyable?

Last edited:

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
Anyways, in a random act that can only be called ironic... I seem to have claimed 4 of the 5 top spots on the leaderboard as we sit here and discuss their pointless or poinfullness as it were.

Judge me for this as you deem fit.

i'm sure people will learn a lot from you... that has never been argued.
i just think, there's an easier way to go about it. that's all. :)

congrats on the scores!
again, that achievement has never been argued either.

AAFitz

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
lol. You can also click on your icon in the dog tag. Though that might be less of a ego-bump.

Once again, and for the last time. Being at the top of the scoreboard means nothing. Absolutely nothing. Its just a matter of game choice and putting some time in.

This is why I repeatedly pretend to actually care, its because I dont actually care, and feel no one should. Those calling me an elitist snob care more about the scores than me, because there is nothing in my opinion to be elitist, or snobby about.

This is an internet game based on the game risk. It has 6 dice that decide much of it. The rest is experience playing different maps. Right now there just arent as many people with as much experience, and those that do have that experience, simply havent joined against me.

That is why I joke around about being at the top, not because I think its a great achievement, but because I and everyone else should realize its just a token for the moment.... and most everyone could smash me, if they cared enough to put in even a little effort.

There is some fun to the game obviously, because not every win is easy, but in the end, its still just clicking little armies. I suggest everyone remembers that, no matter where they are on the scoreboard.

mapguy

Awesome Player
Once again, and for the last time. Being at the top of the scoreboard means nothing. Absolutely nothing. Its just a matter of game choice and putting some time in.

This is why I repeatedly pretend to actually care, its because I dont actually care, and feel no one should. Those calling me an elitist snob care more about the scores than me, because there is nothing in my opinion to be elitist, or snobby about.

This is an internet game based on the game risk. It has 6 dice that decide much of it. The rest is experience playing different maps. Right now there just arent as many people with as much experience, and those that do have that experience, simply havent joined against me.

That is why I joke around about being at the top, not because I think its a great achievement, but because I and everyone else should realize its just a token for the moment.... and most everyone could smash me, if they cared enough to put in even a little effort.

There is some fun to the game obviously, because not every win is easy, but in the end, its still just clicking little armies. I suggest everyone remembers that, no matter where they are on the scoreboard.

Fitz,
You need NOT be apologetic about your success. You have said it yourself, This IS a game. And, like all games, there are winners and losers. So, when it comes to the task of creating a good game, you MUST do it by setting up a competitive structure, NOT a kumbyah (everyones a winner) game. Let the Girl Scouts do that.

You are flirting on the edge of sounding like a girl Scout yourself, when you keep railing about how little this all means. Just wear the crown with pride, and leave behind the false modesty.

Simply put, if Rank means nothing, then let those that feel that way, just refrain from looking at the Scoreboard. However, I do NOT think that people with that attitude, really have any business setting up a game that keeps score. They should instead, look for a quilting club or something, to join.

...Oh Lord Kumbyah.

AAFitz

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Fitz,
You need NOT be apologetic about your success. You have said it yourself, This IS a game. And, like all games, there are winners and losers. So, when it comes to the task of creating a good game, you MUST do it by setting up a competitive structure, NOT a kumbyah (everyones a winner) game. Let the Girl Scouts do that.

You are flirting on the edge of sounding like a girl Scout yourself, when you keep railing about how little this all means. Just wear the crown with pride, and leave behind the false modesty.

Simply put, if Rank means nothing, then let those that feel that way, just refrain from looking at the Scoreboard. However, I do NOT think that people with that attitude, really have any business setting up a game that keeps score. They should instead, look for a quilting club or something, to join.

...Oh Lord Kumbyah.

Well, Ive had many complaints about being competitive, playing too many games, having an ego, being a elitist snob, and I am merely trying to assure everyone, that my rise on the scoreboard was not the result of any special skills whatsoever, and should not be deemed as anything all that great or difficult. Its why Ive joked around about being there....its because I myself know how little it truly means. This was unfortunately missed in the translation.

mapguy

Awesome Player
Well, Ive had many complaints about being competitive, playing too many games, having an ego, being a elitist snob, and I am merely trying to assure everyone, that my rise on the scoreboard was not the result of any special skills whatsoever, and should not be deemed as anything all that great or difficult. Its why Ive joked around about being there....its because I myself know how little it truly means. This was unfortunately missed in the translation.

Hey, there you go again with that false modesty stuff. I know that you are trying very hard to be humble and amicable here, but you do not seem to me to be pulling it off very well. When you say that the scoreboard is meaningless, and then turn around and point out your exceptional showing on said scoreboard, It makes it seem that you are really saying, that you have topped all the charts without even trying. Now this sounds "elitist". I know that is not the impression that you want to give, but it can be interpreted that way by some.

So, please feel free to do an end-zone dance, and spike the ball if you wish. But it would not be wise to denigrate others, that DO take a great deal of pride in their score.

AAFitz

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Hey, there you go again with that false modesty stuff. I know that you are trying very hard to be humble and amicable here, but you do not seem to me to be pulling it off very well. When you say that the scoreboard is meaningless, and then turn around and point out your exceptional showing on said scoreboard, It makes it seem that you are really saying, that you have topped all the charts without even trying. Now this sounds "elitist". I know that is not the impression that you want to give, but it can be interpreted that way by some.

So, please feel free to do an end-zone dance, and spike the ball if you wish. But it would not be wise to denigrate others, that DO take a great deal of pride in their score.

I do not denigrate others that take pride in their score. I simply warn that they should not take it too seriously, whether they excel or have trouble gaining score, because the score is really only a reflection of game choice for the most part, and perhaps experience with the game. I offer this information because I have learned it, and others have not. What is done with the information, or how it is interpreted is beyond my control.

I am not saying that I topped the charts without trying. Im saying I possess no special skills or competence in doing so. Its a tiny amount of people in the game, and very, very few focus on topping the chart. There are many, that would absolutely crush me in this game and it is important for all to recognize this, because I have seen people mistakenly assume that a high score means highly skilled, so in the interest of helping others enjoy the game, I have explained this using myself for an example, so that they will not take the score too seriously, and therefore have fun with the game.

To thine own self be true, and one should know their abilities, and skill level, and not need, or use a scoreboard to define it. Ive seen many over the years get discouraged about their scores, and falsely believe those with high scores are somehow just better, and simply have taken some time to post that the score has nothing to do with actual skill on the game itself perse, but not much more than skill in actually getting a high score.

Many without a high score understand this, and know they are fully capable of a higher score, but simply choose not to get one. I am posting it because I have chosen to play games that led to a high score, and hope they will enjoy the game more after having read this.

This game is not about the score. Its about psychology, math, strategy, diplomacy, and much much more, and there are many ways to play it and have fun. Going solely for a high score is in my opinion one of the lesser ways of having fun with it. Again, by all means go for a high score if thats whats fun for you, but dont take it too seriously, because in my opinion, it will detract from your overall gaming experience.

Enjoy the game however you wish, dont let anyone tell you youre doing it wrong, and good luck and have fun, and you will win every single game, whatever the outcome.

mapguy

Awesome Player
I do not denigrate others that take pride in their score. I simply warn that they should not take it too seriously, whether they excel or have trouble gaining score, because the score is really only a reflection of game choice for the most part, and perhaps experience with the game. I offer this information because I have learned it, and others have not. What is done with the information, or how it is interpreted is beyond my control.

I am not saying that I topped the charts without trying. Im saying I possess no special skills or competence in doing so. Its a tiny amount of people in the game, and very, very few focus on topping the chart. There are many, that would absolutely crush me in this game and it is important for all to recognize this, because I have seen people mistakenly assume that a high score means highly skilled, so in the interest of helping others enjoy the game, I have explained this using myself for an example, so that they will not take the score too seriously, and therefore have fun with the game.

To thine own self be true, and one should know their abilities, and skill level, and not need, or use a scoreboard to define it. Ive seen many over the years get discouraged about their scores, and falsely believe those with high scores are somehow just better, and simply have taken some time to post that the score has nothing to do with actual skill on the game itself perse, but not much more than skill in actually getting a high score.

Many without a high score understand this, and know they are fully capable of a higher score, but simply choose not to get one. I am posting it because I have chosen to play games that led to a high score, and hope they will enjoy the game more after having read this.

This game is not about the score. Its about psychology, math, strategy, diplomacy, and much much more, and there are many ways to play it and have fun. Going solely for a high score is in my opinion one of the lesser ways of having fun with it. Again, by all means go for a high score if thats whats fun for you, but dont take it too seriously, because in my opinion, it will detract from your overall gaming experience.

Enjoy the game however you wish, dont let anyone tell you youre doing it wrong, and good luck and have fun, and you will win every single game, whatever the outcome.

OK Fitzy,
Lets sing the kumbya stuff some other time. I have read and fully understand your words on this matter. Now, please do the same for me.

Lets just set this argument aside for a moment. And, go back to search for the crux of the question. To help this site we are all trying to offer our own thoughts about this and that.

The subject of the Scoreboard in general, and points in specific, is NOT really about peoples feelings towards points. It IS all about structuring a scoreboard that is above all fair, and inclusive. The only purpose for a scoreboard is to show wins and losses. Whatever the scoreboard means to you personally, is not important here. Everyone will have varying levels of interest about their points, or lack of. But the scoreboard IS the measure of skill, that is being promoted on this GAME-SITE.

So, let us continue on, to see about making a Scoreboard that is the best it can be.

asunder

Awesome Player
...is NOT really about peoples feelings towards points. It IS all about structuring a scoreboard that is above all fair, and inclusive.

and how do we measure what is fair? how do we measure what is inclusive?
i see what you are getting at, but unfortunately people's feelings have everything to do with one creating an opinion.

The only purpose for a scoreboard is to show wins and losses.

not true, i dunno how many wins and losses someone has by looking at the board. i just know their rank based on their points. doesnt show anything to me of wins and losses.

Whatever the scoreboard means to you personally, is not important here.
Everyone will have varying levels of interest about their points, or lack of.
But the scoreboard IS the measure of skill, that is being promoted on this GAME-SITE.

So, let us continue on, to see about making a Scoreboard that is the best it can be.

Hahaha.. in other words "Lets make the scoreboard the best it can be. However, what your personal opinions are or feelings on the matter are not important"

It's cool to have suggestions but speak your opinion on how the improvements can be made, instead of forcing your ways of contributing on everyone else.. no?

mapguy

Awesome Player
and how do we measure what is fair? how do we measure what is inclusive?
i see what you are getting at, but unfortunately people's feelings have everything to do with one creating an opinion.

not true, i dunno how many wins and losses someone has by looking at the board. i just know their rank based on their points. doesnt show anything to me of wins and losses.

Hahaha.. in other words "Lets make the scoreboard the best it can be. However, what your personal opinions are or feelings on the matter are not important"

It's cool to have suggestions but speak your opinion on how the improvements can be made, instead of forcing your ways of contributing on everyone else.. no?

You are not exactly getting what I am saying here. Your own personal opinions about how important points are to YOU, are immaterial to the topic. This is a game that awards points for winning. Points are the currency that has already been chosen, so it is all pretty much like any game, or sport, that I can think of. Your skill (like it or not) is gauged on a scoreboard by points. Do you suggest that something besides points should be used ?

FYI, The scoreboard does indeed reflect wins and losses. Those with the most points win more games than those with fewer points.

You could think of it as analogous to a race. Lets say you entered the Boston Marathon. Would you say to the winner, that he is not the best runner, because you just run for the pleasure of running, and do not personally feel that winning is very important. If you were to really feel that way, then I would say, do not concern yourself with conversations about points. If they truly mean nothing to you, then why would you waste your time talking about them ? Let others be free to love the chit out of their points. And try harder to not have sour grapes because you end up having a low rank. You are free to chose how much you care or not about points, let others be allowed to do the same.

SCOREBOARDS are where points are listed. Those with the most are listed from the top down.

Last edited: