• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Leaderboard page(s).

mapguy

Awesome Player
My opinion is that there is a whole lot of useless info on the leaderboard page. Specifically the Most consecutive defeated opponents, along with the all time consecutive defeated opponents. I fail to see any skill in this at all. It is a mere curiosity, and requires only a manipulation of how and when you take your turns. All you need do is load up your winning games by first playing all of your loosing games quick, and finishing them first. Then when you are all loaded up with a big run of winning games, you simply switch it around and join a bunch of games and play the winning games fast, and use all of the clock for the loosing games.

This statistic means absolutely nothing, and only clutters up the leaderboard with useless info. The space could be used for far more important and relevant info, if you ask me.

I would suggest a leaderboard that looks something like this-
The top 100 players would be listed on the first page of the leaderboard.
The top 10 would have larger space than the rest, and would have larger rank insignias as well.
Get rid of the most consecutive and all time consecutive defeated opponents. along with the most decorated as well.
You would then have room for the leaderboard to be stretched all the way across the page. With all of that extra space you could then have enough room to show the players decorations as well as a small area for the player to add a short message for all to see. You could also list other things like highest rank earned etc.
The top 10-50 would be smaller in size, and the top 51-100 would be smaller yet. The rest of the pages would be one size smaller than that.

Last edited:

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Interesting ideas. i don't like having a full width points leader board because it pushes other leader boards down or to another page. Points are just one aspect to the game and so I want players to be able to rank on the scoreboard for things besides points. Thing about CC, a new player has no chance of making it to the first page of the leader board for months. Here you can get on hot streak and make a name for self quickly.

I don't think it's as easy as you suggest to get consecutive defeated opponents. There may be some maneuverability to game the stat but skill and luck are also high factors. We plan on adding other metrics as well but i don't tihnk a 2nd page of the scoreboard would get much viewing at all.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
i personally feel there is way too much focus on scores/ranks/wins et c...

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
i personally feel there is way too much focus on scores/ranks/wins et c...

Well its a competitive gaming site.. there will always be overly competitive people in the spectrum. The trick is to provide something for everyone. Pointhawks can rank on the point scoreboard, truly skilled players can rank on the Command Scoreboard (not implemented yet), and also community minded people can rank on the forum reputation scoreboard, friendly recruiters can rank on the recruitment scoreboard, etc. The public scoreboard is used to direct and channel behavior. If there is only one scoreboard, points, like some sites, then effectively that is all that matters. However we hope to widen the gamut of what matters here, so the atmosphere is not points-or-be-damned.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
Well its a competitive gaming site.. there will always be overly competitive people in the spectrum. The trick is to provide something for everyone. Pointhawks can rank on the point scoreboard, truly skilled players can rank on the Command Scoreboard (not implemented yet), and also community minded people can rank on the forum reputation scoreboard, friendly recruiters can rank on the recruitment scoreboard, etc. The public scoreboard is used to direct and channel behavior. If there is only one scoreboard, points, like some sites, then effectively that is all that matters. However we hope to widen the gamut of what matters here, so the atmosphere is not points-or-be-damned.

it's good to know MC will be providing what each unique player is seeking..
i know to some, ranks/scores/wins are what is important, to others it's simply to relax.. enjoy a game of risk and meet some cool people, and to others, about being active on a website that's theme is something they are interested in. i was just, and am still just, feeling that while i know this is a competitive gaming site, that alone will not ultimately be the only reason people choose MC over other sites.. i'm glad you're not planning the atmosphere to be what you mentioned "points-or-be-damned", because to some people the points/ranks/wins mean very little. :)

mapguy

Awesome Player

Maybe you could incorporate a more dynamic scoreboard that allows the user to determine what he or she is interested in seeing. So for example, If I were interested to see where I stand in relation to others in the area of medals, I would simply click on "most medals". Then shabang, a Most Medals scoreboard would appear. You could have as many categories as you wish. The "Most Points" would naturally be the default.

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
The scoreboard is a reward. What it shows is what we reward people with.

It's simple, if forum post count were at the top of the scoreboard, would that change peoples forum behavior? It sure would. If we had a stat that was Percentage of Opponents who are Noobs, would that change peoples behavior? For sure. If we had a stat that lists the the players who invited the most friends, would that increase invites? You betcha.

It's social game mechanics, not Orwellian thought control.

Last edited by a moderator:

zspBANNED

Awesome Player
While I disagree with some of your arguments, mapguy, I do like the idea of having different options to be shown on the leaderboard as well.

I think another sweet leaderboard would be most turns with a 1000 diplo stat.

mapguy

Awesome Player
While I disagree with some of your arguments, mapguy, I do like the idea of having different options to be shown on the leaderboard as well.

I think another sweet leaderboard would be most turns with a 1000 diplo stat.

Yeah, a "Sort by" button would do the trick.

You could view several unique leaderboards. Hell you could even have a leaderboard for the players with most top 10 leaderboard appearances.

I would still lobby for the "Points" leaderboard to be the default. Remember, if there is to be a "Sort By" option, then the default setting would need to be just the info pertaining to that particular stat. That is NOT to say that other info can not be included, just that there would be only one scoreboard per option. To be clear, Take the "Points" option for example. It would include a breakdown from the player with the most points, to the player with the least. It would be several pages long, with the top 100 on the 1st. page. Included along with the players name there would be additional info such as medals and such, but no other scoreboard such as Consecutive Wins"would be included. For that leaderboard, you would need to click on that option in the "Sort By" menu.

asunder

Awesome Player
"Competitiveness, overachieving, and acting overbearing is a very general ego strategy. One that externalizes fulfillment and makes it dependent on winning. The underlying feeling can be that of both anger or fear. But no matter how exuberant and energized they appear, overly competitive people secretly know the price they are paying for being number one. Climbing to the top excites them, but they feel exhausted and insecure once they get there, anxious about what tomorrow will likely bring -- which is inevitably newer, younger competitors just like them. " - D. Chopra.

mapguy

Awesome Player
We are getting along just fine to be honest. We are going into detail about our disagreements, but that is different than not getting along. Its even possible that two people so strongly in disagreement, simply posting their opinions which differ, and being more than polite about it, if emphatic...is getting along. Not getting along is when people are throwing out insults, not simply disagreeing. Fool. :)

Hell, I think Mapguy even managed a rather heartfelt compliment in there, which I too disagreed with ;) I certainly am not annoyed with him in any way, and so far as I can tell, he feels no ill will towards me...or at least...id be very surprised if he was. The site is in beta, and really there are a small number of people taking part in commenting, so I think many of us are taking the opportunity to get to the heart of the matter, which at times, means some disagreement. For my part, I consider it my duty to post my thoughts...however controversial, as payment for use of the site.....and well....for some fun of its own of course.:biggrin:

Yeah, same here. -What he said.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
"Competitiveness, overachieving, and acting overbearing is a very general ego strategy. One that externalizes fulfillment and makes it dependent on winning. The underlying feeling can be that of both anger or fear. But no matter how exuberant and energized they appear, overly competitive people secretly know the price they are paying for being number one. Climbing to the top excites them, but they feel exhausted and insecure once they get there, anxious about what tomorrow will likely bring -- which is inevitably newer, younger competitors just like them. " - D. Chopra.

how i love Chopra...
his opinion.. his theories..always point blank and straight forward. :)

Spazm

Ambassador
Awesome Player
Can we get a 1984 map? You can be attacking Eurasia...and then all of a sudden it can switch to Eastasia, because you were really never at war with Eurasia.

navycheBANNED

Awesome Player
Can we get a 1984 map? You can be attacking Eurasia...and then all of a sudden it can switch to Eastasia, because you were really never at war with Eurasia.

In the "Jump to Next" indicator thing it should read, "You are at war with Eastasia, you were always at war with Eastasia" when this happens. The rest of the time it should just read, "Big Brother is watching."

asunder

Awesome Player
It seems to me that winners are less afraid to lose than losers, who never risk trying to win. I bet Chopra would agree.:biggrin:

thanks for all those quotes, and your thoughts fitz

Don't miss chopras point here. It's not abt who is less or more afraid or that winners are better than losers, or who is good or bad, as both of these are illusions of the mind, its more about positive and negative energies during the process. Chopra also has his points on those who wish to go to the other extreme, underacheivers etc.

He would more likely agree the purpose doesn't lie in the result but more the experience and the energy in which is used while doing so. As things constantly change and nothing is fixed. once you acquire a result, you start all over on a new process acquiring a new result, and it cycles.

A winner can put forth as much over competitive energy and effort as a loser and the loser still loses. the result doesn't define the players "over-competitive or under-competitive nature". (especially in games relying largely on luck)

An observation is very different from a criticism : )

Perception > Judgement

And So, for the sake of balance, here is what he say's about the opposite:

"Failure, Underachieving, and checking out is the opposite strategy from being a winner. The ego, never competing or fully engaging, prefers to sit on the side lines. It lets life pass by while hanging out. Such people show signs of anxiety, a chronic hidden fear that makes them cold, sluggish, limp, undefended and vulnerable. inside their sense of failure is chronic, it makes them feel small, weak and immature, as if they mysteriously failed to grow up." - D. Chopra.

Both serve equally as agendas of the ego.

Last edited:

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
asunder has never criticized anyone, nor has anyone else.. hell we're all here playing the game...
i think she's merely touching on a poignant fact, and that is simply put to children with a quote:

"it's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game"...

those that come here to play MajCom with the sole purpose of wanting to be on top.. are expected...
i suppose all MajCom asks, is that you do so gracefully, and without coming across as an elitist snob..
new people to the site and game, see the behavior of MajCom's community members, if there is too
much of a competitive nature, it's a turn off, thus they will seek "fun" elsewhere...

because realistically nobody likes too much competitiveness, and those that do...are not a mass of people... but a few individuals.

if you're not an eltist snob Fitzy.. then none of this should really apply to you ;)

asunder

Awesome Player
I think its clear I got your point, but very clear you missed mine, which was quite simply....Who cares?

In any case, serve you ego however you wish. :) If quoting other people is what does it for ya...enjoy.

lol ... ofcourse i see you're point silly. and to answer your question to your point.. i think we all care in some way, shape or form.

However, you are incorrect as I serve to see past these ego agenda's and i am quite honest about my motivations.
Quoting other people doesn't do it for me so to speak, but i do like to share information relevant to topics... and in this case being the "Leaderboard" over and under-achieving seem to nestle in perfectly. : )