• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Idea: 1984

svenska18

Awesome Player
In case you haven't read the book, 1984 is a book by George Orwell about 3 dystopian societies that are locked in an indefinite war as a means of keeping their populations under control even though the war is un-winnable for any side. Here is a world map of what it looked like in the book, i think with some tweaking it would make a great map.
The countries are:
Grey: Oceania
Red: Eurasia
Yellow: Eastasia
white: disputed territory

Attachments

• 1984.jpg
    1984.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

lh34

Awesome Player
Just finished reading the book--I love the idea of having a 1984 map. The way I personally could see this idea working, is for it to be a 3 player map, where all 3 regions (Oceania, Eastasia, Eurasia) have the same number of territories, and one player starts occupying each region. (Kinda like 12 domains, but maybe the whole region is occupied by that player.) Africa could be neutral, with maybe special bonuses for holding certain regions.

Another thing that could be cool, would be to have an "automatic truce" system. In the book, two regions are always in alliance with each other, and those regions always change. Maybe every round or two, the players with the truce switch. For instance, round 1 Oceania and Eurasia are in alliance, and cannot attack each other. Round 3, Eurasia and Eastasia are in alliance, round 5 Eastasia and Oceania are in alliance, etc. It would make for some really interesting gameplay when certain players couldn't attack each other.

I'm just throwing ideas around here, however I think that the idea for a 1984 map is an outstanding idea, and it's something that I would definitely want to play

lh34

Awesome Player
K, here's a quick map I drew up. Boundary lines were not drawn with any intent to be correct political boundaries. So Green in my map is Oceania, Red is Eurasia, and Blue is Eastasia. All 3 have 12 regions, and all 3 have access to the disputed territories. Oceania Eurasia and Eastasia cannot attack each other directly.

Attachments

• 1984 Map.jpg
    1984 Map.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 198

Cagey

Awesome Player
AADOMM
Generals
Sounds like a recipe for a stalemate

svenska18

Awesome Player
Well it doesnt have to be played like the book, it can be played out like a normal map, random drop and bonuses like
hold all european republics
hold all upland territories (they are all spread out so this would be hard and yeild a big bonus)
hold all lifefulland territories etc

with some of the disputed ground as -1 per turn, prob not all though cuz that is a huge track of land and would be hard to get through if it was all -1
Also there are rocket bombs in the book, prehaps have 1 or 2 in each nation to bombard

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Although I applaud you for thinking for new ideas, there's already 3 maps of the Earth, this seems like it wouldn't be a high priority for the cartographers.

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Although I applaud you for thinking for new ideas, there's already 3 maps of the Earth, this seems like it wouldn't be a high priority for the cartographers.

4 actually :D

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
yeah, I forgot the Antiquus map. Makes my point even more valid.
The cartographers are probably busy with some projects, and I'd bet dollars against doughnuts that none of them involve another map of the entire Earth.

magerapstar

Awesome Player
I both loved and hated the book! So weird but so well written (IMO). A map of this would be very cool! Just as long as it has something 'different' than the other world maps like classic massive. It needs some feature to make it unique!

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
and that is the crux of it, itsn't it? Needs something to set it apart from the other 4 Earth maps. I like the idea of another great new map, but the cartographers (rightly so) are focused on making sure that each new map has something to set it apart, some 'twist'.

lh34

Awesome Player
and that is the crux of it, itsn't it? Needs something to set it apart from the other 4 Earth maps. I like the idea of another great new map, but the cartographers (rightly so) are focused on making sure that each new map has something to set it apart, some 'twist'.

Agreed, and that's what makes the maps here so great--quality over quantity.

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The cartographers are probably busy with some projects, and I'd bet dollars against doughnuts that none of them involve another map of the entire Earth.
We've been tinkering with some old ideas, but map development has taken a back seat to general site development. But yes, a fifth map of the earth isn't at the top of anyone's to-do list right now.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Hey Shep, could you look at that thread about the USA bonus change? I for one would like to hear your thoughts.

haWD96lz

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
Spaceballs
Did this finally get made? I saw it show up in my stats today.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Work in progress. Sneak preview soon.

haWD96lz

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
Spaceballs
Thanks. Its always exciting to try out a new map.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Here's what I've got so far. Rather than spend time explaining how it works, I'm curious to see if it makes sense to everyone. One twist you should be aware of is that every region will start with 4 troops rather than the usual 3, as the Martial Law effect of the superstate regions could otherwise be exploited in the first round of the game.

Map and Brief Image:

wlFDjD4.jpg

Lb2se3b.jpg

linkinpark

Awesome Player
Generals
The Embassy
Wow, this looks like fun. It's gonna be hard though to figure out the best strategy.

On a side note, there's a typo, Afghan. should include an "h".

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
nice catch.