• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

dice

OneEyed

Awesome Player
hm, how exactly dice works here? because sometimes I can not beat 1 troop with 6.

OneEyed

Dalinar

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
I actually have to make a quick post on the other side of the fence. I actually read a good bit of psychology and am familiar with the lit saying people very very often attribute good fortune to skill and bad fortune to bad luck. However, that pic of the two rolls on the defensive end (with 1 defending) concerns me and I didn't see any evidence that it didn't happen.

Did I miss something? I saw Sheriff's post of the troop wins/losses, but it was attacking and defending losses aggregated rather than just he rolls defensive rolls. Is this not bugged?

Upvote 0

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
I actually have to make a quick post on the other side of the fence. I actually read a good bit of psychology and am familiar with the lit saying people very very often attribute good fortune to skill and bad fortune to bad luck. However, that pic of the two rolls on the defensive end (with 1 defending) concerns me and I didn't see any evidence that it didn't happen.

Did I miss something? I saw Sheriff's post of the troop wins/losses, but it was attacking and defending losses aggregated rather than just he rolls defensive rolls. Is this not bugged?

Yeah. That was Oggyyy that posted the picture. I haven't looked into that yet. I don't think he posted the game number for me to check.

The troop roll win/loss were in response to something LordAdef wrote. It has nothing to do with the picture. The two issues were not connected.

Upvote 0

Dalinar

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
Oh, ok, got it. A bug where the defender gets an extra roll on with 1s seems like a big deal is all, but I've been keeping an eye out for it now in my games and haven't found it yet anyway.

Upvote 0

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Yeah, an extra dice would be a big deal. But I'm quite sure it's just a visual error. The code hasn't changed since the beginning of time, so I doubt it's a bug, but the graphics are always giving us problems.

If you look at the picture, the dice numbers on the right clearly show the defender only had one roll. But the image on the left still shows a 4 (ice) which looks like the 4 (ice) from the second roll which just hasn't been cleared from the image yet. IMO. I would need the game number to compare, but I'm quite sure it's just a visual.

Upvote 0

Oggyyy

Awesome Player
The Borg
Yeah, an extra dice would be a big deal. But I'm quite sure it's just a visual error. The code hasn't changed since the beginning of time, so I doubt it's a bug, but the graphics are always giving us problems.

If you look at the picture, the dice numbers on the right clearly show the defender only had one roll. But the image on the left still shows a 4 (ice) which looks like the 4 (ice) from the second roll which just hasn't been cleared from the image yet. IMO. I would need the game number to compare, but I'm quite sure it's just a visual.

I have checked my recon/archive for the time of that glitch and I don't think I have that game number available unfortunately, never thought at the time to post the game number.

Upvote 0

giebenrath

Awesome Player
Hate to pile on, but game 300027 - I assaulted 6v3 from the exact same territory to the exact same territory three rounds in a row (other player missed a turn and I was first) and lost every single troop every single time...I just ended up committing suicide in the game from frustration. Normally I don't see these things and I understand that dice are dice, but the exact same result three times in a row just feels off.

Looking forward to having statistics from the games available (I hope) so I can look myself and not have to bother, but super frustrating.

Upvote 0

NewSheriffInTown

Make My Day...
CentCom
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Just a side note about stats. The average roll on a 6 sided dice should be 3.500

Yesterday I looked at the dice rolls for some players in some games and the average ranged from 3.37 to 3.61. Which is actually a big deviation from the statistical average. It clearly shows why some people in some games get all the good dice, and others get all the bad dice.

So I kept expanding the number of games and the number of rolls to see what the site wide average was.

It took 28,800 rolls over a period of 2 months before the site wide average settled on 3.501

So basically, until you roll the dice 28,800 times, and your average is not 3.50, then don't complain about the dice! :smile:

Upvote 0

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
I might be wrong, but I'm not sure how that would even work. If you attacked 6v3 and lost 2 it would be 4v3. Next turn it would either be 2v3, 3v2 or 4v1.

I'll make a few assumptions though and see if I can calculate the odds:

Turn 1:
6v3 : lose 2 : 29.26%
4v3 : lose 2 : 29.26%
:: end of turn now at 2v3 ::

Turn 2
5v3 : lose 2 : 29.26%
:: end of turn now at 3v3 ::

Turn 3
6v3 : lose 2 : 29.26%
4v3 : lose 2 : 29.26%
:: end of turn now at 2v3 ::

So the chances of this happening are (0.2926)^5 = 0.002145 or 0.2145%

This seems like it would happen 1 in 466 times. Unlucky, but not crazy unlucky.

giphy.gif

p>

Upvote 0

giebenrath

Awesome Player
Ha! the GIF is right on ;)

My point was more to raise that I would like to see stats so as to be able to take my frustration out on numbers instead of moderators. Because honestly, what would be the point in coding a game site based on dice to use unfair dice? I generally trust that computer algorithms do what we say they should do. Or at least if they don't, they do it wrong for everyone.

And how many times have I rolled dice on MajCom? That would be a good statistic to see as well...not very interesting as eventually it would just be a normal curve for everyone, but fun to look at (curse at) nonetheless.

Upvote 0

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
Just a side note about stats. The average roll on a 6 sided dice should be 3.500

Yesterday I looked at the dice rolls for some players in some games and the average ranged from 3.37 to 3.61. Which is actually a big deviation from the statistical average. It clearly shows why some people in some games get all the good dice, and others get all the bad dice.

So I kept expanding the number of games and the number of rolls to see what the site wide average was.

It took 28,800 rolls over a period of 2 months before the site wide average settled on 3.501

So basically, until you roll the dice 28,800 times, and your average is not 3.50, then don't complain about the dice! :smile:

That is pretty good actually. I have seen estimates it takes 50,000 to 100,000 rolls for the true actual averages to come within a 1/10 of a percent of the mathematical average.

Upvote 0

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Until you get dice like this, quit yer b*tchin!

13_to_1.jpg

Upvote 0

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
Wow. That's bad.

(0.3403)^13 = 8.207e-7 which is a 1 in 1.22 million shot.

That record might hold for a little while.

Upvote 0

PITMAN212

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
well said shepherd

Upvote 0

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Well, I just attacked with 10 against 16, just to try and ding them down some. Won with 5 left over.
You win 9 in a row sometimes, sometimes you lose 9 in a row.....

Upvote 0

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
i had someone this week attack me with 4v5 and win. that is only 3 attacking dice against 5. less than 5% chance and he pulls it off.

the dice go both ways for sure

Upvote 0

OneEyed

Awesome Player
and 6:1 and I lost again? did somebody realy fight? could you imagine fight between 6 and 1? no. because it is impossible...
and I donot care your statistic, its unbelievable that one can beat six.

OneEyed

PS: I am drunk now, but I realy think sometimes to finish activity here...

Upvote 0