• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

12 domains?

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
They will try to 'capture' the dragon and attack with it. If I had enough men to take it and a few left over, I'd think that was a good way to 'back door' an opponent.....

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
They will try to 'capture' the dragon and attack with it. If I had enough men to take it and a few left over, I'd think that was a good way to 'back door' an opponent.....
Yes, this you can do. The dragon is a region like any other - you can attack it and then keep on going is you still have troops. The Dragon can serve as a back door into somebody else's territory, but the high neutral value (25) makes it unlikely that anyone would do so early in the game.

tyles

Awesome Player
I've only played parts of two games but I'm wondering if when I take draig tower and have path from two or three dragons to the tower will I be able to reinforce with up to 75 troops, into the tower? If so I think that it would be hard to take the tower from someone who controls it. I was thinking that the map could be set to only border or that dragons troops could be set to only reinforce within "their domain." That way the tower would always be an area of contention. I also wondered about putting a limit on the number of troops that could be reinforced there, like it couldn't go back above the 35 that the tower starts with.

tyles

Awesome Player
I was also thinking that the "Troops Due" in the Intel tab doesn't fit for this map since there are no commands. I think having a total troops due (that counts the castle as well as regions in the domains) would be helpful to know who is picking up the most troops. I know we can count them up but that means counting each player's troops each round to see who is "in the lead."

Just a thought.

thanks,

Dreadnought

Awesome Player

Thx Card for clearing this up, i was lucky to get ahead in a game and learn it the hard way being "that guy" when i didin´t end the game but kept it going learning how to use the dragons. I suggest being more clear on this in the brief so that not more people have to be "that guy".

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
I've only played parts of two games but I'm wondering if when I take draig tower and have path from two or three dragons to the tower will I be able to reinforce with up to 75 troops, into the tower? If so I think that it would be hard to take the tower from someone who controls it. I was thinking that the map could be set to only border or that dragons troops could be set to only reinforce within "their domain." That way the tower would always be an area of contention. I also wondered about putting a limit on the number of troops that could be reinforced there, like it couldn't go back above the 35 that the tower starts with.

I have played quite a few games on this map already, since we had to do a bit of testing on it. It is possible to reinforce all your troops into the Draig tower, if you had three dragons that you have activated. Activating the Dragons means you have already held the tower for one turn. At the turn when the dragons are activated, there is a high chance that you will want to take over some people's domains, right?

Even if you didn't, personally I wouldn't put all my troops into Draig tower, as holding the castles I have is just as important for getting the dragons activated again.

With your idea would perhaps make it hard to enact - as if you make dragons only able to reinforce into the domains, after that, the next turn, you will be able to move your troops obtained from the dragons again to either reinforce the Draig Tower, or retake it. And if you were to hold the Draig tower, you would have a reasonable amount of troops to be able to hold it. If you have a cap, it will be hard to even hold the draig tower, wouldn't it?

I was also thinking that the "Troops Due" in the Intel tab doesn't fit for this map since there are no commands. I think having a total troops due (that counts the castle as well as regions in the domains) would be helpful to know who is picking up the most troops. I know we can count them up but that means counting each player's troops each round to see who is "in the lead."

Just a thought.

thanks,

The troops due is for "how many troops you can deploy freely anyway around the map", which the auto-deployed troops has no bearing on. So that seems to me that having an "Autodeploy Troops Due" column sounds more reasonable, as if you add the two (both troops due which you can deploy, and auto deploys) will be a little too confusing. Remember you still have "Troops Due" every turn when you start your turn. 3 for 1-11 regions, and +1 for every 3 regions after 12 regions.

KFD

(Please don't take these as offensive, as my tone may sound a little harsh at times)

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
the Troops Due feature was put into place back when we just had some simple maps with basic regions... it desperately needs an update.

As for the other proposed changes, I suggest folks play the map a few times before we rush into changes. The current system has worked quite well in the test games we've had to date.

tyles

Awesome Player
KungFu- no offence taken, and you make valid points. I actually thought about suggesting adding another column but didn't know which would be easier. Oh, and I know that you guys have played a bunch of games on this map (and a ton more than I've played on other maps) so I wasn't trying to imply that my ideas were needed but just thoughts that popped in as I've looked at the map, brief, video and read through the chatter of some of your games.

Shepherd- I'm sure you have put a ton of work and thought into this map and I totally appreciate it. I'm a dreamer and tend to look at other's ideas and think about ways I'd use them. Please don't think that I was discrediting anything that you've done, I was just putting some ideas out there for everyone to think about.

I'm glad you guys read these posts...I shows that you care about the site.

Thanks for the map and all you do around here :)

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
No problem, tyles... I didn't take offense, and I'm open to making changes to the map. I'd just like to give the map a go as is before we start reconfiguring it.

tyles

Awesome Player
Cool, I do have one other question, not that it is really important, but on my recon tab I get notices that I eliminated Neutral from the game. Does each neutral region get listed on that tab? Again, I know that's not a big deal but just something I noticed.

Thanks

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I love the map, Shep. Not sure why you changed the tower from 40 to 35, I didn't think that needed changing. At this point I don't see any changes necessary. I've already won one game on it (and lost one) and am in a few more. I agree that lots more game play is necessary before thinking about making changes. As far as the deploys notifications, I don't see the need to change those either. I'd just say "pay attention!" The rules are laid out, if you can't be bothered to spend a couple of minutes actually looking at the board, it sucks to be you........

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Does each neutral region get listed on that tab? Again, I know that's not a big deal but just something I noticed.
This is a glitch that popped up recently and has been noted.

cardinalsrule said:
Not sure why you changed the tower from 40 to 35, I didn't think that needed changing.
There was some concern that the Tower was a bit too costly at 40, though I tend to agree that it was probably fine. I'm in some more games right now and I'll see how they go.

craigmike77

Awesome Player
Absolutely agree, i have never seen one player try to attack a dragon, or drake castle. The opportunity cost versus attacking another player is too high.

Also, Chance plays too large a role in the beginning of the game, each castle should start with more units to reduce the possibility of bad dice in the first round, which ultimately cripples that region.

Dreadnought

Awesome Player
I absolutly love this map and dont want it changed. I recon its one of the maps where luck is much less of a factor than many other maps. You would have to get crazy bad dice to not be in control of your own region before getting hit by anyone else, and ive seen people attac thru dragons and also been in awesome race games in RT where it was dragons vs towers. Wanna see who won the race, check out this epic game: 037732.

(Plz remember the game was played in 3 min RT so there was little time to think also bit weird settings with border reinforcements)

Last edited:

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
You would have to get crazy bad dice to not be in control of your own region before getting hit by anyone else,

Crazy bad dice are a given any time you actually use dice. I just got one of my three kingdoms taken out in this game before I was able to secure all the territories within.

Now, I'm just hoping that the other two players recognize the looming threat and work together to counteract it.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
indeed, crazy bad dice can happen in any game on any map. With this map, every take in your domain makes a big impact on the next turn; in some ways this mitigates bad luck by giving instant bonuses, but it also makes it that much more frustrating to roll zeros in your first round and not get the same bonus as everybody else.

The hope was that the neutrals outside of your domain's borders would be big enough to keep folks from getting pummeled out of existence before they're able to get at least most of their domain, but it's a luck game and anything can happen.

And I've used the Dragons in games, and had them used against me. My favorite move so far has been watching an enemy take the tower from me and loading it up with troops, and then cherry picking all of his castles so he didn't get to use the dragons anyway.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
chilly suggested that the bridge between Bridgefields and The Crossings was misleading. It's been altered, though gameplay has not changed. Clear your browser's cache to see the updated bridge.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
And I've used the Dragons in games, and had them used against me. My favorite move so far has been watching an enemy take the tower from me and loading it up with troops, and then cherry picking all of his castles so he didn't get to use the dragons anyway.

I've done that once. It was pretty funny.

AAFitz

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
A very addictive map without a doubt. The 1v1 setting really is a drawn out coin toss though, and can be over on round 2, but take another 10 rounds to finish. Ive been able to overturn some horrible dice, but the mistakes made by the opponent on those games were almost unimaginable, so for any equal players that have some idea, the game is probably over before they ever attack each other.

Looking forward to see the multiplayer versions work though, obviously it was made for more than 2 players. The team games could be interesting too, but I suspect good dice will give any reasonable team the win. The bonuses are exponential after turn one so, the rich keep getting richer and the poor poorer, and more than any other map I think Ive ever seen, you can be completely powerless to alter the outcome, but have to play out 10 rounds to see the end.

Very well made though...attractive as hell. I keep dumping points into it simply because its fun...kind of the way solitaire is fun...you know it was decided on the deal, but its kind of fun to see it play out....usually.

I myself had some difficulty deciding exactly what the directions meant. I guessed accurately, but I honestly had to see it happen before I was sure. In retrospect, I should have just tested it on a winning game first. I got lucky when I saw someone take it the first time. I wasnt expecting it at all, and didnt realize what was going to happen, but was able to counter it, simply because of one missed fort on his end. About as close as a game can get.

Last edited: