• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Woo hoo!

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
Yeah... time will tell if it really means anything. Guy was a grade-A bastard, no doubt, but he was just one guy.

edsdad

Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Canadian Club
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
Justice be done.One less maniac to worry about.

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
We won't really win until we get them all to be middle class working stiffs.

I would speculate that if certain populations of disaffected, impoverished young men were getting laid on a regular basis, the world would be a better place. Quality coitus keeps people balanced.

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
I would speculate that if certain populations of disaffected, impoverished young men were getting laid on a regular basis, the world would be a better place. Quality coitus keeps people balanced.

agreed. the promise of 97 virgins doesn't have as much pull if already have a few.

warneke

Awesome Player

Pretty much, actually. That's a lot of the basis for most current economic development theory. There's not a lot of disordered behavior in societies where people have channeled their "thirst for more cows" into other heifers and trappings to impress them.

mark

Awesome Player
Maslow's hierarchy of needs in action.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

If the physiological needs of a person are not met then they cannot be expected to have an inkling of the needs of others. Survival, including sex, (or at least the touch of another human) is paramount. We've developed a world where a vast majority of our fellow humans cannot imagine life even a few months ahead. They feel they are likely to be dead by then anyway. If hopelessness is a daily part of life why wouldn't you strike out with your last breath against those who 'oppress' you? We need to help these people (here and abroad) to find a way to establish control over their own lives.

The more control one feels over their personal future the more safe they feel. And the more likely they are to have mental/emotional capacity to concern themselves with the safety of others.

That being said, I am glad this aspect of the last decade is over. My prayers are with the soldiers and the families of the victims.

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
My prayers are with the soldiers and the families of the victims.
Are you kidding?? Screw the soldiers. They get tax-supported government salaries, full health care while on the job, paid leaves, and VA-funded health and retirement benefits until they die. I say we vote to drastically lower taxes and revoke those benefits and make these freeloaders pay their fair share like the rest of us!

Oh, wait, I got my arguments wrong. That's the argument against teachers unions - it's OK to screw teachers out of the benefits they were promised in return for poor wages and poor working conditions. Sorry, vets.

OK, seriously, vets gets a raw deal and deserve to be treated far better than they are. I was being snarky.

Bin Laden dead = good thing. But before we start declaring "Mission Accomplished" let's see what happens next. More than likely it's more of the same for a few more yers. The Soviets were stuck there for ten years, and we're in even deeper than they ever were.

Incandenza

Minister of Propaganda
O.G.
Awesome Player
Shep expertly summarizes many of my feelings on the matter. On the one hand, I think it's unseemly that people are out in the street celebrating the death of a single person (who's not even a head of state or anything), but on the other hand I can't begrudge the college-aged their reactions simply because I can't imagine what it was like to be young and watch 9/11 happen. When I was that age, I was watching the Berlin Wall come down, which is waaaaay out on the opposite end of the emotional-reaction-to-news spectrum.

I just don't think this will change anything. We're still in Iraq and Afghanistan, we're still doing drone strikes in Pakistan and Yemen (and god knows where else), we're still bombing Libya... Clearly armed intervention isn't the way to go, but no one in a position of authority seems to have learned that lesson.

And yeah, I tee-hee'd at the vets/teachers thing. Speaking as someone dating a future teacher, all those anti-teachers wackjobs can eat a veritable barrel of primate penii.

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
It's a definite blow to al Qaeda, who has already on the ropes. so i think its a big victory, emotionally, politically, and strategically.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
i don't celebrate death... and anyone that thinks killing Bin Laden put an end to anything, is delusional.
all it's done, is encourage younger, stronger jihad to want to follow in the footsteps of their wondrous predecessor...
if you think 10 years of war was harsh for the American Military, wait for it...the worst is yet to come, i am sure.

why is that so difficult for people to realize?

mark

Awesome Player
OK, seriously, vets gets a raw deal and deserve to be treated far better than they are. I was being snarky.

I am there with you on the teachers. Your point is that both sets of jobs deserve respect. I agree whole heartedly. But the conversation here is about the military and the actions of the past few days (years). Yours will be a useful point going forward...and one I believe I saw expressed at DailyKos a few days ago. So you are in good company (IMHO).

Nothing has changed yet, but the opportunity is there for things to change. Let's see if our leaders show as much intestinal fortitude for peace as they do for war.

BTW, I get the irony of talking about peace on a discussion board for a game about taking over the world. ;-)

ORBOTRON

O.G.
Awesome Player
The only thing I am happy about is that justice has been served. A man who committed an atrocity has reaped what he sowed. The underlying conflict is exponentially larger than one man. Osama Bin Laden was not the cause of these things, he was merely a symptom. He didn't invent the ideas he espoused, it's not a PC thing to say, but I would argue "radical Islam" is a misnomer, and "orthodox Islam" would be a more fitting term.

Woodruff

Awesome Player
Bin Laden is dead!

While I'm personally very pleased to see this happen, from a "justice served, mixed with revenge" perspective...I unfortunately don't believe it will have any actual negative impact on al Qaeda. I think the largest value from it is that it does show that we will doggedly pursue you until we get you if you bloody our nose in the manner that he did, and that is valuable. But typically, terrorists (even those at the top of the food chain) aren't particularly concerned about that.

I certainly have the highest respect for those military members carrying out the operation, though. Very impressive not to lose a casualty.

legionbuck

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Duellers Society
Kickstarter
Let them hate...but...LET THEM FEAR !!!!

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Fear 40 SEALS landing on their roof.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
your comments might not be QUITE so lame, Restrepo, if you could spell words like "sushi".....