• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Why isn't there an 11 player game allowed?

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
The title says it all. Why?

RjBeals

Map Commander
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
well.. then someone would ask why there wasn't a 12 person game :)

seriously though - there are plans, at higher subscription levels, to allow for up to 24 player games, and possibly more. We have to create the troop containers for those games still though.

Upvote 0

ORBOTRON

O.G.
Awesome Player
umm wait, there already are 12 player games available, I've often wondered myself why it skips 11.

Upvote 0

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
the fact that it took this long for somebody to point out the fact that there is no 11 player option suggests it isn't highly in demand. Eleven doesn't add functionality in terms of team games, and ten and twelve player games already fill the same large game niche.

It would be like walking into Timmy Ho's and asking for a snack pack of 38 Timbits, because 40 is just too many.

Upvote 0

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Ah, I see, thanks Shep, as clear as day.

Upvote 0

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Its because 12 fits too well. with 12 you can play doubles, tripples, quads, and sextuples when available.

With 11 you can play.... singles.

Upvote 0

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
3, 5, 7, 11 ...singles.

I'll never get my 4-round Optimus Prime tournament setup: 105 eleven person games, 15 seven person games, 3 five person games and then the final three person game....

Damn you Shep...damn you...

(edit: guess I really need a two person game in there somewhere too)

Upvote 0

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
3, 5, 7, 11 ...singles.
Again, what fills the niche. If we eliminated 3p games there would be an outcry, but 7p games have already been gone for over a month and nobody has noticed.

Upvote 0

Chilly

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
Again, what fills the niche. If we eliminated 3p games there would be an outcry, but 7p games have already been gone for over a month and nobody has noticed.

I just successfully created and left a 7-player game... ???

Upvote 0

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I just successfully created and left a 7-player game... ???
Ah ha! My point exactly - you had to go to the Start A Game tab to confirm that the option still existed.

Gotcha! :)

If we did eliminate 7p, I bet it would take weeks for somebody to notice. It doesn't fill a need.

Upvote 0

Rimbaud

Awesome Player
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
The Duellers Society
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
Hey, i love 7 players games, i do like 10 each month, also when i entered to the site i tried to make eleven player games and got very upet i couldnt do that...

Upvote 0

mapguy

Awesome Player
What is the reason for this ? While not many would notice, it seems to me that it would limit various turny structures.

Upvote 0

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
What is the reason for this ? While not many would notice, it seems to me that it would limit various turny structures.
Ha! I got two people with the same joke! :)

I think that with any feature one has to consider what the value added is to the site. Adding 24p games adds more value than adding 11p games.

Upvote 0

Rimbaud

Awesome Player
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
The Duellers Society
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.

I think that with any feature one has to consider what the value added is to the site. Adding 24p games adds more value than adding 11p games.

You got a point there sheph, thats why i didnt asked for 11 players games before, im surely more exited for 24 player games than eleven, that was just for saying that these kind of games (5,7,11) arent as unnecesary as you say

SHEPHERD said:
If we did eliminate 7p, I bet it would take weeks for somebody to notice. It doesn't fill a need.

they are pretty different from each other, 11 player game respond to a different turn structure than 12 player as map says, they are just different, nor better or worse one from another, plus some people ( like me, and im sure there must be other) like some specifically kind of games, i.e. I do with seven.

Maybe some day or for the long suggestion list you should consider 11 player, im not asking for postpone 24 or other more special features for it, just saying that it would be nice that the site have all the different settings for different people taste.

:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mapguy

Awesome Player

I get it Shep. I was only playing the Devils advocate. My question still stands. What is the reason for not having 11 player games. Is it a "room" issue ? It seems to me that the more options, the better for turnys. Without 11 player games there may need to be "buys" to work in the math. So, unless there is a Good reason not to have them, I would be for 11 player games.

Upvote 0

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Well, mapguy, I honestly don't know why it wasn't originally coded into the site, so I won't try to answer definitively. And I'm not trying to be an apologist for the site either, I just don't think this is a big deal. The structure of an 11 player game would not be significantly different enough from that of a 10 or 12 player game to warrant putting this near the top of the to-do list. If we're going to add game sizes I'd rather see 15p (5x3) or 16p (4x4) instead of cluttering up the games page with 11, 13, 17, etc. Just say no to primes.

Upvote 0

mapguy

Awesome Player
Well, mapguy, I honestly don't know why it wasn't originally coded into the site, so I won't try to answer definitively. And I'm not trying to be an apologist for the site either, I just don't think this is a big deal. The structure of an 11 player game would not be significantly different enough from that of a 10 or 12 player game to warrant putting this near the top of the to-do list. If we're going to add game sizes I'd rather see 15p (5x3) or 16p (4x4) instead of cluttering up the games page with 11, 13, 17, etc. Just say no to primes.
It is NOT a very big deal to me either, but I still do not think that you are getting exactly what I am saying. In a turny it may just happen that 11 player games is what is called for in a certain round. Without it you may need to give out a buy or two for that round. So, unless there is a Good reason for not having 11 player games, I would be for them. ...No biggie, just sayin.

Upvote 0

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I still do not think that you are getting exactly what I am saying. In a turny it may just happen that 11 player games is what is called for in a certain round. Without it you may need to give out a buy or two for that round.
I get what you're saying, I just think its bad logic. The only way a tournament would "call for" 11 players in a certain round is if the tournament organizer sets up the tournament that way, which given what we now know would be pretty stupid. This is like saying that a tournament may require 29 players in a certain round, and thus we should have 29 player games.

Say i go to the donut shop and I see that they don't sell blue donuts. Then I go home and promise my five year old that I'll bring him a blue donut. Then when I go back to the donut shop they still don't have blue donuts - is it my fault or the donut shop's fault that my kid is disappointed?

Now that we are all aware that there is, at present, no option for 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, or any-other-prime-number-above-seven player games, I would suggest that tournament directors not set up their tourneys so that such a game is required. If they do, they shouldn't blame the donut shop.

Upvote 0

mapguy

Awesome Player
I get what you're saying, I just think its bad logic. The only way a tournament would "call for" 11 players in a certain round is if the tournament organizer sets up the tournament that way, which given what we now know would be pretty stupid. This is like saying that a tournament may require 29 players in a certain round, and thus we should have 29 player games.

Say i go to the donut shop and I see that they don't sell blue donuts. Then I go home and promise my five year old that I'll bring him a blue donut. Then when I go back to the donut shop they still don't have blue donuts - is it my fault or the donut shop's fault that my kid is disappointed?

Now that we are all aware that there is, at present, no option for 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, or any-other-prime-number-above-seven player games, I would suggest that tournament directors not set up their tourneys so that such a game is required. If they do, they shouldn't blame the donut shop.
haha, Shep you are still not quit getting what I am trying to say. I want to know the reason "WHY" there is not 11 player games. If there IS a reason, then I could understand (maybe), just why they have been omitted from play. On the other hand if there is "NOT" a good reason, then maybe they should be added. I really do not care one way or the other myself, just curious is all.

Upvote 0