• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Why is it mainly noobs that play Classic Evolved?

d-flat

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Young Guns
Hey - so I like Classic Evolved, mainly 2 player or 4 player. The overwhelming majority of opponents I face are pretty low in rank. Why is this?

Has everyone else gravitated to other games? Is there a typical pathway; a second map, if you will? Discuss!

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
The vast majority of my first 400 UDOs were on classic evolved 1v1 in real time. Quick and easy. I could play 8 games an evening.

I played some other small maps suitable for 1v1 in real time when the opportunity arose. But back then most other maps had to be created by someone. So it was few and far between.

I think it is the one that most closely resembles the classic Risk board game. Number of terts and shape. They gravitate to what they know starting out.

As far as progressing to others, i think there is no specific pathway. I broke into team games by others mentoring me. Mainly Cards and Risky. I don't think would have joined teams games without someone showing me the ropes.

Last edited:

d-flat

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Young Guns
Hi Bluebonnet - thank you for your reply. Yes I can see how Classic Evolved is the perfect starting point on the site. Just wondered why everyone seems to move on from it.

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
Hi Bluebonnet - thank you for your reply. Yes I can see how Classic Evolved is the perfect starting point on the site. Just wondered why everyone seems to move on from it.

Why move on? Many reasons
Defenitley not the best for 1v1 if that is your thing. It is okay, but not great.
12 Domains has the most equal start of any map and it is fun.
Not suited well for 24 player games or very large team games.

And most of all variety. It is fun learning the strategies for each map. They all play different. After 400 udo's, it was nice to break out, learn mroe, and try different things.

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
yes...I would agree with blueb. I quickly got bored with classic evolved singles. Team games and the other maps prove the variety I needed. You can read my frontline history (click on 2 comments for the older posts)....many players here are super nice and willing to show you some cool tricks in team games.....plus the teams games are a lot of fun! :lollypop:

d-flat

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Young Guns
Thanks Both, Yes I have done a few team games and do enjoy those very much. I think I'll always have a soft-spot for Classic Evolved though! 12 Domains and Nukes make my head hurt!

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
Agree with you on classic evolved. I would still be playing 1v1 real time if it wasnt a wasteland. Old days, 3o seconds to a mintue waiting before a game. Sometime you would click join, miss the game you wanted to play, and end up with another guy who joined same time as you. It was fun!

12d is fun. But kinda stale for first several rounds.

Nukes, it is a blast. Just wish more people played it 1v1.

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
Agree with you on classic evolved. I would still be playing 1v1 real time if it wasnt a wasteland. Old days, 3o seconds to a mintue waiting before a game. Sometime you would click join, miss the game you wanted to play, and end up with another guy who joined same time as you. It was fun!

12d is fun. But kinda stale for first several rounds.

Nukes, it is a blast. Just wish more people played it 1v1.

30 seconds ?!?!?! Wow....I wonder if we can get that traffic again with the html5 UI....any news on the final release date on that? Just curious ...
:lollypop:

clarkenfeld

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
Yep I remember the fast fill days! It was bewildering sometimes! Like BlueB says you'd see a slot, go for it, and end up against another player entirely! And if you were setting up a game with a friend you'd have to coordinate and be in the lobby at the same time and say ready? join...NOW.

I think one reason for moving on from classic, d-flat, in addition to what's been said, is that playing noobs is absolutely fine (and I don't completely avoid) but the fact is that out of 10 new players, at least a couple are going to be unpleasant or AWOLers or get really arsey and suicide or get abusive in chatter. That is way rarer in every other game format apart from RT classic evolved. Not sure about Casual classic - only really play that if it appears in a tournament these days.

RT games for me are 90% 12D, and d-flat, it's a fun map. If you look at Periwinkle's profile page, she THANKED me for kicking her arse on it. I'd be happy to see if I can kick yours too!

So yeah - variety of map, suitability for larger teams, and pleasantness of opponent, they're my main reasons for moving on.

d-flat

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Young Guns
Thanks peeps.

I just thought I'd got for it and joined a 12D 1v1 - didn't see it was Fixed-Force! Only played FF once and it was brutal. Periwinkle absolutely destroyed me!!

I'll take you up on the 12D arse-kicking attempt clarkenfeld - bring it! CHANCE though please!!

clarkenfeld

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
Chance it is. I'm so icy that in FF I roll 1 1 not 6 and 1.

RT or casual?

d-flat

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Young Guns
Haha! Casual please

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
Be sure to ask Clark for tips. He is impressive on 12d.

Most important tip, over rolling to have the first must have card is a major mistake. let troops build and have a slow roll out. You can be aggressive later in the game. being too aggressive in the first 2 rounds can end the game right there.

periwinkle

Staff member
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
The Canadian Club
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
M.C. Youtubers
Kickstarter
Thanks peeps.

I just thought I'd got for it and joined a 12D 1v1 - didn't see it was Fixed-Force! Only played FF once and it was brutal. Periwinkle absolutely destroyed me!!

I'll take you up on the 12D arse-kicking attempt clarkenfeld - bring it! CHANCE though please!!

yes...FF 1V1 or team vs team, the first player/team has a BIG advantage (and usually wins)...however if it is no-reinf….the 2nd player/team actually has a chance to win....which is my favourite setting. I like the challenge of going 2nd on these head to head games. :lollypop:

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Be sure to ask Clark for tips. He is impressive on 12d.

Most important tip, over rolling to have the first must have card is a major mistake. let troops build and have a slow roll out. You can be aggressive later in the game. being too aggressive in the first 2 rounds can end the game right there.

I don't agree with that. Taking terts, especially early, in 12D is crucial, since you get extra deploy for each tert you own. I'd NEVER leave a stack of 4 sit.

clarkenfeld

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Borg
I don't agree with that. Taking terts, especially early, in 12D is crucial, since you get extra deploy for each tert you own. I'd NEVER leave a stack of 4 sit.

I think it depends on a few factors:
1. The drop
2. If you're second, how hot has first player started
3. How well your first 2 or 3 towers have fared

etc

Do you think 12D is different from other maps? I find you have to get a feel for how each game might go or is going, and I think I leave one of my towers as a 4 three quarters of the time in the first turn? Dunno. Might pay more careful attention.

But I do think you have to be really flexible in your approach.

For example, I noticed that once (come back once!), when he and I were playing regular duels, would frequently or even usually leave one tower open for a break out, but I concluded that it helped him less than half the time, whereas if those open towers had filled domains, his extra 2 or 3 per turn would have won him the game later. On the other hand, there are some occasions when leaving the tower open is THE factor that wins you the game. And it's really hard to articulate when to do one and when the other.