• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Tourney: Game of Games (begins!) (Round 2 move orders)

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
?? But shouldn't the fact I attacked twice change something?

I think Bado's solution is correct as ironz has two attacks, too (the defending default + the reinf).

th-child

Administrator
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
Umm, I think maybe we should think this over again.
In the endgame, I guess there will be battles where for example 5 attacks go against 5 attacks. Following the logic we are using here, the attacker should win all 5 five games to conquer the territory, right?

On the other hand, Jalthise makes a very good point:

?? But shouldn't the fact I attacked twice change something?

In the above scenario it would make no difference, if the attacker uses only 1 attack against the 5 defensive waves -- he has to win all 5 games either way.

So this is worth some more thinking, I guess. I'm not saying at all, that this ruling has to be changed, but it will have a consequence on how to plan your attacks in the later rounds.

Okay, okay, I'm just thinking aloud.

Jalthise

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
In the above scenario it would make no difference, if the attacker uses only 1 attack against the 5 defensive waves -- he has to win all 5 games either way.

So this is worth some more thinking, I guess. I'm not saying at all, that this ruling has to be changed, but it will have a consequence on how to plan your attacks in the later rounds.

I definitely thought attacking multiple times would give me an extra to round to win and have a previous post saying so - otherwise doing so would be completely pointless. It was pretty certain Ironz would defend twice; he defended twice last round and was almost certain to do so again because its the only contested region his Aussie region can reach. If the extra attack doesn't make a difference, I'd really like an opportunity to use it elsewhere.

Getting extra rounds to win for an attacker by attacking multiple times is probably needed to balance the extra rounds defender's can get. Otherwise, people with commands can get entrenched by reinforcing more than 2 times, and then become almost impossible to break.

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
Umm, I think maybe we should think this over again.
In the endgame, I guess there will be battles where for example 5 attacks go against 5 attacks. Following the logic we are using here, the attacker should win all 5 five games to conquer the territory, right?

On the other hand, Jalthise makes a very good point:

Yeah this needs to be changed. But not for this round. Maybe it can be 'best-of' with a slight advantage to the defends. So 5v5 would mean the attacker needs to win 3. 6v6, the attacker needs to win 4. 3v3, attacker needs to win 2. 6v3, attacker needs to win 2 over 6 games. 2v2, attacker needs to win both, as defender has the advantage. 3vs2, attacker needs to win 2 as well of 3 games. 4v2, attacker needs to win 2 of 4 games. 8v5, attacker needs to win 3 of 5 games.

Does this make sense? It actually wouldn't change jalthises move.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
After thinking about it, I'm convinced that I had it right the first time, in this scenario, it should be a best 2 of 3.

Jalthise

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Here's the original rule (which I should have referenced sooner):

"If a player ends up attack a region twice (Attacking Greenland from the UK and Canada) then one attack game is played, and if the attacker loses, another attack game is played."

Why does that not mean I get a second match if I lose one having attacked twice? I attacked twice from the same region, but we never differentiated between moves coming from a region and moves given by commands before. And since Ironz gets an extra round as well if he loses one, why is it not a best of 3?

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Here's the original rule (which I should have referenced sooner):

"If a player ends up attack a region twice (Attacking Greenland from the UK and Canada) then one attack game is played, and if the attacker loses, another attack game is played."

Why does that not mean I get a second match if I lose one having attacked twice? I attacked twice from the same region, but we never differentiated between moves coming from a region and moves given by commands before. And since Ironz gets an extra round as well if he loses one, why is it not a best of 3?

Exactly. It should be a best of 3. Waiting until next round to follow the rules is screwing Jalthise. (Not that I have any sympathy for him, holding 2 commands as he does ;) ) but fair is fair.

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
There are 2 games because there are 4 armies in play. 1v1 then a 1v1. If Jalthise, or anyone wants the best of 3 advance, they need to bring more troops. If jalthise attacked with 3 troops vs ironz 2, there would be 5 armies... which would force 3 games.

The orginial rule still stands, but in this case, ironz brought an extra defending army.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I don't agree with that logic. After the first game, there are then 3 armies in play. Then, after the second game, assuming that neither of them wins both of the first two, there are two armies in play. I still maintain that it should be best 2 of 3.

Example. Say jalthise wins the first game. Then ironz attacks with his second army. If ironz wins, then Jalthise still has another attack.......

Last edited:

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
omg. I'm going to smack you, Cagey, lol!

I mean, it's just not that difficult. If they split the first two games, regardless of who wins which game, the loser of game 2 still has another attack, and a 3rd game to determine the winner is required.

Last edited:

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
lol, I'm making the chart. I'll post a SS in a few.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn97/Jalthise/GameofGamesFlowChart_zps94dc6f00.png

What confuses me is that Bado's setup leaves me in the exact same spot, chart 1, as if I had only attacked once.

Well yeah, you bringing 2 armies to a 2 army defense. Its no different than bringing 1 to a 1 army defense.

Card, why would there be 3 armies in play after the first game? Are you assuming the winning army of the first battle is unscathed?

Jalthise

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Well yeah, you bringing 2 armies to a 2 army defense. Its no different than bringing 1 to a 1 army defense.

Card, why would there be 3 armies in play after the first game? Are you assuming the winning army of the first battle is unscathed?

The problem is that its the same as bringing 1 army to a 2 army defense.

1v2 as has been played, if the defender loses they get a rematch (no rematch for attacker).

2v2 under your suggested system, if the defender loses they get a rematch (no rematch for attacker, even though they attacked again).

Also, there are 4 armies. If we lose 1 in the first match, don't there have to be 3 in next one? I thought we've assumed the winning players armies are unscathed the entire time, there's been no mention of damage to them earlier.

Last edited:

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter

yes, the winning army is still alive to take the tert and fight the next battle. How could it not?

I mean, I guess I don't understand what you're talking about. In battle on MajCom, every victorious army is 'unscathed' to move on.

Last edited:

Badorties

O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
The problem is that its the same as bringing 1 army to a 2 army defense.

1v2 as has been played, if the defender loses they get a rematch (no rematch for attacker).

2v2 under your suggested system, if the defender loses they get a rematch (no rematch for attacker, even though they attacked again).

Also, there are 4 armies. If we lose 1 in the first match, don't there have to be 3 in next one? I thought we've assumed the winning players armies are unscathed the entire time, there's been no mention of damage to them earlier.

yes its the same, in both cases the defender has the advantage. If ironz hadn't brought back his other defense, it would be revesred... irons would have to win both games to keep the region. Moral of the story is, if you want an advantage, bring more troops than the enemy does.

yes, the winning army is still alive to take the tert and fight the next battle. How could it not?

still alive but in what condition? probably half dead, low on ammo, out of food, just waiting for reinforcements.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
????? regardless, of it's condition, it's still there, in control of Antarctica.

Jalthise

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
yes its the same, in both cases the defender has the advantage. If ironz hadn't brought back his other defense, it would be revesred... irons would have to win both games to keep the region. Moral of the story is, if you want an advantage, bring more troops than the enemy does..

But I would never have sent two armies if I thought that were the case, can I redirect one to the horn?

still alive but in what condition? probably half dead, low on ammo, out of food, just waiting for reinforcements.

Why would the attacker who just got there be in worse condition then the defender who just did? There was no mention of an advantage for defense before this round.

Edit:
Again, then why isn't it simply one match for the region like a 1v1?

My issue is that there was no mention of a defense advantage before, and I made my turn carefully. The rule as had played the entire game was, if you sent an extra army, you got an extra match to win. I know of no mentions of anything to contrary in the entire thread. If that's the rule, ok, but I'd like be able to change a move that was wasted because a rule was unclear.

Last edited:

chefsmitty

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Sorry to yell at you about the guard Bado......especially after seeing that! I probably couldn't fire you, as I am not paying your workers comp. and and not getting something in return w/ your one good hand! LOL! JK, hope alls well and you heal up soon!

chefsmitty

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Chefsmitty won Game 8 against Bud for UK.

Game 9 not necessary.