• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Tournament buy-in

micky

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
T.O's.
Young Guns
When joining a tournament, are the buy-in points taken off as soon as I click "Join Now", or once the tournament actually begins?
I recall there was a thread on this and I am hoping it is now the latter.

Hortik

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
The Embassy
T.O's.
Young Guns
Kickstarter
If I recall it correctly, it is deducted as from the moment you join!

Upvote 0

micky

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
T.O's.
Young Guns
Upvote 0

Hortik

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
The Embassy
T.O's.
Young Guns
Kickstarter
Just tried it out and the 15 points were directly deducted :)

Upvote 0

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
Drop out if you don't want to be in the tourney :)
Seriously, in economics, this is known as Sunk Cost

The points have already been spent. They only way they will come back is if you win the tournament, and winning any individual tourney has long odds. In the aggregate, a good tournament player will earn more than they pay in to play. But winning just one can't be counted on. So if you don't like the settings, or are reducing game load, it's makes complete sense to drop out, since either of those would likely contribute to decreased chances of a tourney win regardless.

Of course, since you've already paid the points, you can always stay in and shoot for a win!

Upvote 0

Hortik

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
M.C. Clan Council
The Embassy
T.O's.
Young Guns
Kickstarter
Drop out if you don't want to be in the tourney :)
Seriously, in economics, this is known as Sunk Cost

The points have already been spent. They only way they will come back is if you win the tournament, and winning any individual tourney has long odds. In the aggregate, a good tournament player will earn more than they pay in to play. But winning just one can't be counted on. So if you don't like the settings, or are reducing game load, it's makes complete sense to drop out, since either of those would likely contribute to decreased chances of a tourney win regardless.

Of course, since you've already paid the points, you can always stay in and shoot for a win!

At the other hand, if you wait too long to join a tournament since you are keen to keep your points count high, you might not be able to join the tournament and loose the points yo would eventually win :D

Upvote 0

micky

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
T.O's.
Young Guns
Just tried it out and the 15 points were directly deducted :)
Wow, thanks Hortik! Appreciate it. I never paid attention before, but I wanted to join a tourney that requires many participants and I am not sure it will ever fill. At the same time I am sliding down that ladder of rank and points that I am not sure I can afford it (lol).
I don't find it right that the buy-in points are reduced as soon as you join. Some tourneys never start because they don't fill. It should only be deducted once the tournament actually starts.

Upvote 0

brianstheman

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
Wow, thanks Hortik! Appreciate it. I never paid attention before, but I wanted to join a tourney that requires many participants and I am not sure it will ever fill. At the same time I am sliding down that ladder of rank and points that I am not sure I can afford it (lol).
I don't find it right that the buy-in points are reduced as soon as you join. Some tourneys never start because they don't fill. It should only be deducted once the tournament actually starts.

All tourneys start eventually. Some just take longer than others to fill.

Btw, one way to think about giving up points (via tourney entry or loss), is that it is then slightly easier to gain points via a win (with a lower score), and you'll lose less points in the event of a loss.

So losing points is a win!

Upvote 0

micky

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
M.C. Play Testers
The Canadian Club
T.O's.
Young Guns
Thanks Brian. = true :)

Upvote 0