• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

The wonderful complications of 3 player assassin games.

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
So notmally when a game gets down to 3 players, it turns into a cycle of "kill the big guy", over and over again, but I have recently enjoyed a three person assassin game which was actually quite complicated.

So there are three players, A, B, C. You are A. Your target is C.

You can then deduce that C's target is B, and B's target is A.

So you go after C, but you are also "protecting" B, but not so much that B can clobber yourself, A.

So you have this really fun balance of all these interests competing and overlapping and it can be a quite a dance to compete.

You all should give it a shot.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
you've rendered speechless, for a second while i let all of that sink in... the complexities of it all, that is.

Robinette

omigod, totally bitchen, furshur, furshur
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
So notmally when a game gets down to 3 players, it turns into a cycle of "kill the big guy", over and over again, but I have recently enjoyed a three person assassin game which was actually quite complicated.

So there are three players, A, B, C. You are A. Your target is C.

You can then deduce that C's target is B, and B's target is A.

So you go after C, but you are also "protecting" B, but not so much that B can clobber yourself, A.

So you have this really fun balance of all these interests competing and overlapping and it can be a quite a dance to compete.

You all should give it a shot.

I am in a similar game....

hey wait, is it the SAME game?

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
I am in a similar game....

hey wait, is it the SAME game?

No i was refering to a different game, but yes we are in a 3 man ass game. ok, that just doesn't sound right.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
yeah, ass game sounds completely homosexual.. and that's fine and dandy, if ya'll wanna be known as such.. :p

BadElmer

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
3-player assassin

I'm always trying to find niches that I enjoy and might learn to be above average so as to have a greater chance of improving my score over time. One that I have been exploiting is 3-player assassin. My win record (not including tourneys) is 22 out of 46 for 48%; not amazing but better than the 33% expectation by enough that I will continue playing it.

It also happens to have become one of my favorite modes of play here, largely because intuitive play (always attack your target) seldom works, to a much greater degree even than in assassin games with greater players. This is very much a game of balance. I tend to attack my attacker almost as often as I do my target. Deciding when to hit which is the essence of the game. I generally play all types of games as an isolationist (eliminating players from areas they might find useful) and this strategy seems to work well in 3-player assassin.

Anyway, just thought I'd open the door for discussion on this. I know I've seen a few play often (ndrm31 has a 49% record on the first 100[!] games listed. marc369 is at 40% over 60 games). Who else has played? What strategies do you use? Who else wants to try? Feel free to invite me, any map any settings. And I'll likely keep mixing them into tourneys and having more tourneys with only 3-player assassin.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I concur with Ermer's assessment - a balancing act. Unfortunately, if the other players in the game don't 'get' it, it can be a frustrating and ultimately losing struggle. I recently lost a 3-player game in a tourney because one player (my target) continued to attempt to build and hold commands and spent MUCH more effort hitting me than his target.

I love assassin, but it can be frustrating when you play with people who don't understand the setting.

Just going to throw out ONE MORE TIME - Would be REALLY nice to bring back the Teams Assassin settings. Worries about noobs being farmed could be alleviated by making it only available to paying members.

Dalinar

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Generals
Well, I'm 1/5 for 3-player assassin and I haven't been quite sure to make of it. I also agree with Elmer's assessment, but I almost always find the matches frustrating as Cards said.

Anyway, I agree with Cards on team assassins - I'd love to play more them outside of tournaments.

empirejeff

Awesome Player
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
Have you played this on the 12 domains map?

BadElmer

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Duellers Society
T.O's.
Have you played this on the 12 domains map?

Looks like I have not, but I'd be willing. Sounds interesting. In fact, that might be a good mini-tourney......

calume

Awesome Player
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Canadian Club
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
I concur with Ermer's assessment - a balancing act. Unfortunately, if the other players in the game don't 'get' it, it can be a frustrating and ultimately losing struggle. I recently lost a 3-player game in a tourney because one player (my target) continued to attempt to build and hold commands and spent MUCH more effort hitting me than his target.

I love assassin, but it can be frustrating when you play with people who don't understand the setting.

Just going to throw out ONE MORE TIME - Would be REALLY nice to bring back the Teams Assassin settings. Worries about noobs being farmed could be alleviated by making it only available to paying members.

I had the same frustation a few times, and decided to adjust to it, if the game goes like non-stop attacking targets with no defense or no balance, then I'll do the same, if it goes fair with defense and balance attack then it usually comes down on getting ''the set'' at the right time

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
I'm always trying to find niches that I enjoy and might learn to be above average so as to have a greater chance of improving my score over time. One that I have been exploiting is 3-player assassin. My win record (not including tourneys) is 22 out of 46 for 48%; not amazing but better than the 33% expectation by enough that I will continue playing it.

It also happens to have become one of my favorite modes of play here, largely because intuitive play (always attack your target) seldom works, to a much greater degree even than in assassin games with greater players. This is very much a game of balance. I tend to attack my attacker almost as often as I do my target. Deciding when to hit which is the essence of the game. I generally play all types of games as an isolationist (eliminating players from areas they might find useful) and this strategy seems to work well in 3-player assassin.

Anyway, just thought I'd open the door for discussion on this. I know I've seen a few play often (ndrm31 has a 49% record on the first 100[!] games listed. marc369 is at 40% over 60 games). Who else has played? What strategies do you use? Who else wants to try? Feel free to invite me, any map any settings. And I'll likely keep mixing them into tourneys and having more tourneys with only 3-player assassin.

myy favourite settings., its a delicate balance on who to attak and when :p