• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Strategies for Awkward Threeways?

HalfThere

Awesome Player
In a lot of games, especially escalate, I find victory is won by "comboing" a bunch of card sets together, and going from not-too-far-ahead to runaway-locomotive in a single turn.

However, in fixed it seems like they often boil down to three or four players of roughly equal ability all trying to break a "balance of power" situation. That is, no player can dominate all the others combined, who form a coalition and bring him down to a lower threat level; the dynamic repeats with whomever has come out of the tussle with the greatest strength.

In other words, barring extremes of fortune, or a serious error in judgment by one party, the position of strongest is tossed around like a hot potato, giving no value except the distinction of being the obvious target.

What strategies have you found successful for dealing with these sorts of situations?

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Well... This game is a 3 man fight, with pretty much a reserves win... but you could see how well Miquel and BudH kept me in shape, and I edged forward a little bit at a time and set myself up for a take out.
http://www.majorcommand.com/Games/Game.php?gameid=54351
Have a look at the game history by pressing forward and back in the rounds might give you some ideas.

And assassin is a different story all together.
http://www.majorcommand.com/Games/Game.php?gameid=64135
see this to get some idea

Robinette

omigod, totally bitchen, furshur, furshur
Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
When i saw the title of this thread,
i couldn't help think that my strategy would be the same for an AWKWARD threeway as it would be for ANY threeway,
And that would be to grab my shoes and get as far from the bedroom as fast as possible...
I'm kinda old fashioned that way *smiles*

But then i read the 1st post, you can only imagine my relief, lol...

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
When i saw the title of this thread,
i couldn't help think that my strategy would be the same for an AWKWARD threeway as it would be for ANY threeway,
And that would be to grab my shoes and get as far from the bedroom as fast as possible...
I'm kinda old fashioned that way *smiles*

But then i read the 1st post, you can only imagine my relief, lol...

I must say I thought the same at first too, Robinette...

gravity

Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
You guys crack me up.

AAFitz

Awesome Player
M.C. Play Testers
First it is important to create a safe atmosphere. You also need to insure you are following any local rules of the game, in your particular area. Also, cheating ruins the entire experience, so all participants should have open slots available, no previous diplomacy or alliances from other games.

Once its clear that all are honest, honorable players, you may want to relax yourself, by perhaps dimming the lights, or even cracking a bottle of champagne...again, in strict accordance to your local rules. Three ways and alcohol are absolutely not for everyone, and if you have had too much to drink before making your moves, you should absolutely wait until you are sober to make them. Even if you feel your time may run out for the opportunity to play, sometimes not playing, is the best move in these situations. If you are too drunk, it is very possible you will make moves you did not want to make, and those players will not want to play with you ever again.

Now that the mood is set, when you enter a three way situation, or just find that your party has turned into one after all others have left, it is important to remember, that the best three ways allow all to have fun, and keep any from getting hurt. One cannot just spend all of ones energy on one player, or jealousy will certainly ruin the game for all. So, one must be very positive, and assure that no one player feels singled out.

So now you are ready for foreplay. Some small moves to get aa idea about the other players in the game. Feel them out if you will... Some soft moves to start, and then maybe just test a sharp move...nothing painful mind you, but strong enough to get their attention, without risk of annoying them. Annoying another player in a three way is absolutely the worst thing to do. It will almost certainly end the game for you, and you will be forced to watch the game unfold without yourself, knowing that you could easily have been part of the fun.

As far as winning, well, as in any risky game, winning is playing. That being said, lasting the longest definitely can be very satisfying as well, so it may be worth your energy to work hard at that. Also, if you keep the game going long enough, and no one overreacts, you may find yourself with many shots at winning it, and that may very well increase the fun and satisfaction you had with the game. Just keep in mind, it can be very tiring.

If winning is your only goal however, than you will absolutely have to play it cool. It is not just a physical game where the biggest armies win, but a psychological game as well. You must keep your mind on the task at hand, and all actions of your troops and chatter must be aimed at that objective. Almost always, the nice guy routine is the safest and most effective, but on occasion, with different types of players, playing with an edge, or even some outright anger, not violence mind you, might very well get the job done.

In the end, all three-ways are different, and certainly many will not end well, and often the parties involved will become sworn enemies or at the very least, will never speak to each other again, so do not enter one lightly, or at least, without this knowledge. And as will all worthwhile endeavors, if at first you do not succeed, try, try again.

Personally, because of the many variables, I suggest most stick to 1v1 games, or at least learn the basics on them. Multi-player games can be very challenging, and it is very possible to get hurt. It is very easy to get mad and many of the players, and as a result your rating in the community may very well suffer.

Last edited:

mark

Awesome Player
First it is important to create a safe atmosphere. You also need to insure you are following any local rules of the game, in your particular area. Also, cheating ruins the entire experience, so all participants should have open slots available, no previous diplomacy or alliances from other games.

Bravo. <standing_clap/> Someone please close the thread. The answer has been provided.

pahtoz

Awesome Player
AAFitz Wrote:
First it is important ..........may very well suffer.

One of the best responses i have seen on this forum. AWESOME!! :)