• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Small map ideas

thenoahw

Awesome Player
So, the desire has been voiced for a new, small map. 1v1 friendly and such. I have been brainstorming on this and want some feedback.

1. City Map
It has been discussed well here, here, and here. Though some of those had pretty high ambitions for being large maps, I don't see why we couldn't make them simple for 1v1 play.

2. Shattered USSR
This has been brainstormed before, like this, and here. I had a topic for it here and I think once we decided to cut Finland, the Eastern Bloc, and Mongolia, that would have brought us down to around 30 or so territories. No where near as small as Classic Mini but I think that could do for a 1v1. It could easily be reduced smaller if someone is more familiar with the political divisions of Russia.

3. Regional Maps
There has been discussion on Scandinavia (here and here and here), the Caribbean(here), Pacfic (here), and others I am sure but I think simplified region maps could have some potential. Themes could be played around with too in an effort to give some direction. Vikings, Pirates, etc.

4. Space Map
We have Mars but not one of the galaxy. palmono has shown some interest in this topic again (here and I think if someone took up the yoke for this with the intention of not jazzing it up with features and every moon and asteroid, it could function well as a Milky Way/galaxy map with an alien/crumbling Space Empire theme

5. A Building
Think of the Columbine High School Massacre. No, I am not suggesting we use CHS for a map but the idea of fighting to control a building room by room, hall by hall, yard by yard. We could use a multi-level warehouse, a famous building/house, or even a prison with the housing blocks, yards, and administrative buildings. It could have a gang, riot, SWAT, or even a Special Forces Storming the Stonghold kind of theme. We have seen a little of the prison theme already.

6. Nation (China)
Plenty of rivers, mountains are somewhere I am sure, and there is the Tibetan Plateau. Those sound like they could make for a good map. One could even go for an early civilization and Sun Tzu's Art of War theme. Large enough to be competitive but specific enough not to go beyond 1v1 range. The same could go for Italy, France, New Zealand, Israel, etc.)

7. Pangaea
Come on everyone. It's a mega-continent! We could go with a few of the modern political borders/regions loosely applied or we could use the scientific jargon but it wouldn't matter. It could be kept small enough to keep it 1v1. Check out those thread here as well as this older one

8. Disease
I don't think a world-wide epidemic map would look any different than a standard game. But if we used the Human Body. It would be perfect for a 1v1 game. Antibodies and pathogens. Someone else with anatomy knowledge could shed some more light on this but I'm thinking have all major organs, systems, anything that would work and give us the right number of terts.

So that's what I've got, lads and ladies. Feel free to discuss, PM me, or take them on in a new thread. I hope this helps get something rolling