• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Public Transportation Map Idea

KungFuDuet

Kung Fu Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
M.C. Youtubers
Huh... no one answered my last post... oh well... here is a bit of work presented to you.

attachment.php

Names pretty much sorted

And yes - I added a few stations in and taken out one or two.

Attachments

• Names.png
    Names.png
    174.2 KB · Views: 724

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I suggest you to avoid making rail lines horizontal, as that would be hard to fit names in. for example, Line 4's top left corner can be made into diagonal so names can be easier fitted in. also with other horizontal portions.

Why not just use a 4 character Alpha Numeric for each station
Olympic Spur = OS1, OS2, ....
Batong Line = BL1, BL2, ....
Etc

Plus with over 100 regions and most of the names unknown to people playing, this system will allow a much easier time for coordination attacks in the game.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I think this map has 105 regions (stations) and 14 different commands (lines). I haven't put any serious thought into gameplay - I'm just trying to get a basic shape together. Right now the line lengths are: 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 9 13, 13, 13, 13, 18, and 27 regions. If that adds up to way more than 105, it should - many regions are in more than one command.
I think that a 18 and 27 region command is a bit too big.
Plus it depend on how you desire to represent this map visually.
I know that we are not there yet but that aspect will help determine position orientation of teh view perspective of teh map.

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
After being excited about it early on, this map idea really lost steam for me. I don't want to throw a lot of time into what may be little more than a gimmick map - you know, folks play it once or twice to see what's all about, get bored of it, and never play it again.

There are ways in which I can see this map being fun, and ways in which the game play looks really flawed. Unlike regular maps there will be less emphasis on grabbing bonuses and more emphasis on limiting you borders. Sure, you can grab a 4 or 5 region command fairly easily for a modest bonus, but once you've done that you aren't going to go after a 9 (or 13) region command that forces you to defend points all over the map. Instead players will have to inch out along lines. I think this will be challenging for the more patient players, and frustrating for more casual players. Widowmakers made a map years ago that has a similar style of play; I played it twice and decided I didn't have the patience.

Which takes us to Wid's concern about 18 and 27 region commands being too big. It's not really reasonable to expect anyone to hold the outer circle line until the game is just about over, so why bother make it a command? For that matter, the red line running across the map is impossible to hold - 13 regions, over half of which can be attacked by players all across the map. So if the line bonuses are just there for kicks, maybe we replace them with something more reasonable (and attainable).

Codes for the stations would make play easier, but I'd like there to be a nod to them somehow. It would be possible to just show the codes on the map, but the include the full name with the region title: OS01 shows in the game log as "OS01 Huilangong East" - though I'm not sure how we'd code transfer stations that are on multiple lines.

In the end, I'm not convinced this is the best map we could be making with our limited time... I could be convinced otherwise, but I don't see mobs of users rallying to see this map made.

WidowMakers

Senior Cartographer
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
What map of mine are you referring to,

Just curious

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
the PacMan map... it's not identical in play of course, but there's a similar openness to the play in that you worry less about collecting bonuses and more about ways you can get hit. Leave one door open and somebody comes waltzes in and takes all the territory you've spent the last five rounds collecting. I thought it was a brilliant map idea, but I'm not the kind of player who commits himself to a game enough to watch all of the ins and out of a map like that.

What makes the PacMan work is that there 1) are all sorts of funny bonuses that are worth going after and holding, and 2) it's damn fun to look at. Right now, neither is the case with this map (though we can and will improve that), which just leaves us with a bunch of impossible to hold commands.

majorpain1337

Awesome Player
I don't know if this idea has been scraped or just lost steam but i think you should all take a look at some of the australian cities rail/subway maps :p

Sydney rail map
Melbourne tram map
even brisbane trains look like a plausible base to formulate this map.

Sydney is probably the most iconic however.

http://www.seeksydney.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Sydney-Train-Map.gif

cheers,

Majorpain1337

*edit* (i failed with the link lol)