• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are an existing player, please log in:   LOG IN
    If you are new to Major Command and would like to play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:   SIGN UP

• current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

Points and Ladder Rankings

BadKarma

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Kickstarter
Agreed BadKarma, >> That said, they have a great AWOL feature that basically boots the player for missing turns and returns their terts to neutral. << In my hopes and dreams, if/when MC returns and resumes upgrading, that is one of several features I'd like to see added to MC.

I've added you as BadKarma as a friend on D12, hopefully that is you. If not let me know and I'll unfriend them.
ya, same screen name on both

T79boy

Awesome Player
I know updates on the point system is posted in other "official" threads.... but since this thread is very specific about points it would be nice for the people higher up the food change to perhaps give a summary here since you can see its quite a popular thread

bilsi

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Los Bambinos
M.C. Play Testers
Old Soldiers Club
The Borg
The Canadian Club
I don't know why anyone here would be celebrating losing MC players to an inferior site, but here we are.
I don't like D12 but inferior? There are great players here but MC is a mess. D12, if you end your assault phase and don't reinforce yet, you can go back to the assault phase. So many times here I'd like to go back. More game options, FOW, Capitals...And there's PW protection and a resign button. Most of the maps are corny and players are rude. I love MC and our 'Family" but d12 is by far inferior...

MNatt

Awesome Player
Kickstarter
I'm not sure that the 'which is better' really matters. But there's definitely lot of stuff that MC can learn from D12:
  • their AWOL system is so much better. It's always been a bugbear on MC players going AWOL, letting the opposition knock lumps out of each other, then re-appearing. Lowest of the low as far as I'm concerned. On D12 you miss 2 turns, you get kicked, terts revert to neutral, and every turn any stacks left on them wither away. It's a perfect way of dealing with AWOL players.
  • Gameplay options like Fog of War. I don't use it myself - I found it made the game strategy completely different, and you can't teach an old dog new tricks. But probably 75% of the games over there get played with Fog of War on.
  • Password protested games
  • Resign button, so players don't have to just go AWOL if they can't/don't want to play any more.
  • And the main thing is that the site works - no glitches.
There are plenty of things we do better on MC, and most of the time I play roughly equal numbers of games on each - but it would be silly not to try to learn from others when they do things better.

TankEater

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Kickstarter
what I don't like about D12 is the colors they are so close to each other and gets confusing for me

Rare-Breed

Awesome Player
^D12 has a color-blind option in settings, But I still have a hard time with black and blue.

I'm not sure that the 'which is better' really matters. But there's definitely lot of stuff that MC can learn from D12:
  • their AWOL system is so much better. It's always been a bugbear on MC players going AWOL, letting the opposition knock lumps out of each other, then re-appearing. Lowest of the low as far as I'm concerned. On D12 you miss 2 turns, you get kicked, terts revert to neutral, and every turn any stacks left on them wither away. It's a perfect way of dealing with AWOL players.
  • Gameplay options like Fog of War. I don't use it myself - I found it made the game strategy completely different, and you can't teach an old dog new tricks. But probably 75% of the games over there get played with Fog of War on.
  • Password protested games
  • Resign button, so players don't have to just go AWOL if they can't/don't want to play any more.
  • And the main thing is that the site works - no glitches.
There are plenty of things we do better on MC, and most of the time I play roughly equal numbers of games on each - but it would be silly not to try to learn from others when they do things better.
I joined D12 in 2018 after two of my favorite online risk sites went bye-bye.
I did take off many years because of family before I went looking to play online risk again
Did not know about MC (the search did not bring up the site) until some members from MC joined D12 and said something about it in chat?

As a newer member here who does not play here anymore mostly because I find the ratings and the AWOL very confusing

MC likes

Mercenary feature
More features ( can have over 9 player game unlike D12 which is limited to max of 9 players)
Clans
The players and mods
some cool maps that are advanced.

Dislikes
Like NMatt said the Awol system. One of the last games I was playing here was a 6 or 7-player live game.
some players would miss more than one turn and show up later. it was very confusing.

The rating system was down over 2 years? Any player abusing it before their ratings were changed should be punished. Not in the spirt of the game.

tan and grey/gray are kind of blah. Brighten the place up.
Would be nice to only have to log in once for games and the forum

D12 good and bad

One mod over there that thinks they are a higher-up in a Fortune 500 company. aka abusing their limited power and scaring away new and old members.
Unlike the one unfriendly mod, The Hood is one of the better mods and map makers on D12. His latest two maps are basic but very well made and look great.
Sametime turn games suck.
The D12 champ games seem to be no longer played.
Do not like that you can keep your rank private or not upgrade using battle tokens.
Around 2020 the site had a major glitch and lost months of games and info. But many players lost games played off their profile.
I do not think they ever figured out what happened.

Both sites seemed to be less active, Online risk is just not as popular as in years past.

Might add some more later

discord username J7

Last edited: