• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after May 16 2024 are not able to login to the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Photoshop Battle: Vikings

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
i truly am confused what he actually 'made' for this submission... he really needs to clarify when he finds some time.. because his 'map' he made.. looks an awful lot like the "Tribus Ruben" Roman Map, seen here:

6aa57ec1c4169d7379282bd68c0bff4a.png

so... you hacked a cool map out of it's original bg and pasted it onto a kind of kid-snot green/blue.. that's not quite how a layer battle works.

asunder

Awesome Player
yeah.. i can see how map guy used another image and manipulated an outline/shape of your image into it.. which is fine, but he truly was not clear when he was saying he "made" that map. Clarity is always good, constructively speaking : )

RjBeals

Map Commander
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
54372c63d8158620a09d9b83088c2f7c.png

i stole the steampunk motif.. i made gear horns!

I'm starting to really like this, and wonder what you did to make it. Would you be willing to send/post a psd? Or at least post the original images you may have used?

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
i can email them.. or note them... i don't wanna share with the MajCom world! :p

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
here's a look a look at the stock:
5b2b13daf0845d5382ce0aebc6a309be.png

RjBeals

Map Commander
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
na - thats sort of what i wanted to see, the images you blended together. Looks nice.

mapguy

Awesome Player
oh shit - it's the map! well that is cool and definitely more creative than I thought. I thought you found a map and masked out the girl. I guess you made the map from the girl!

Yes Robert,
By Joe I think you have got it. The shape of the land and water was made from the Image of the girl. The texture for the land was pulled from an antique map.

I am very puzzled here ghost. Why are you being so unkind towards me and my artwork ? Is this what layer battles are all about ? I have had nothing but kind words for you, and am very upset that you would strike out at me in such a mean spirited manner.

Maybe I am missing something here, but will you please tell me how your use of "borrowed" images is ok, but mine is somehow improper.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
Yes Robert,
By Joe I think you have got it. The shape of the land and water was made from the Image of the girl. The texture for the land was pulled from an antique map.

I am very puzzled here ghost. Why are you being so unkind towards me and my artwork ? Is this what layer battles are all about ? I have had nothing but kind words for you, and am very upset that you would strike out at me in such a mean spirited manner.

Maybe I am missing something here, but will you please tell me how your use of "borrowed" images is ok, but mine is somehow improper.

the images i used are not borrowed. they are legitimate 'stock' from websites that host such imagery. i don't just find something on the net and go "hey, that would look cool i should use that".. someone, somewhere.. went to a lot of work to take the photo.. create the texture.. the brush.. whatever. so i make sure, when using images that they are uploaded for this purpose. it's not to say you did anything 'wrong'.. but it is to say that i dislike what you did.

i am not being 'mean spirited'...nor unkind.. i admit, i've had a smart assed tone at times during this discussion, but i suppose i am more irritated than anything else. the point of a layer battle is to try and out-do the person who posts before you. to try and wow the audience and other competitors with your photoshop skills. your ability to use the program... i apologize if my irritation has hurt your feelings. but quite honestly.. when it says "there is no sharing of psd's" in the rules... it's more about each person creating their own artwork using their own images. not butchering other peoples entries and calling it a 'submission'. yes, you created a map.. using my entry and a vintage map.. but did you really? how much effort went into what you posted? not a lot.. and i say that as someone whose utilized photoshop, traditional art methods, et c for the last 15+ years. i can see what you've done without looking at a psd... and it's not much. here i am spending 8 hours looking for good quality stock... creating imagery out of pieces of images... and here you are taking twenty minutes to throw together something using my hard work as a base.

sorry, but that irritates me.

mapguy

Awesome Player
the images i used are not borrowed. they are legitimate 'stock' from websites that host such imagery. i don't just find something on the net and go "hey, that would look cool i should use that".. someone, somewhere.. went to a lot of work to take the photo.. create the texture.. the brush.. whatever. so i make sure, when using images that they are uploaded for this purpose. it's not to say you did anything 'wrong'.. but it is to say that i dislike what you did.

i am not being 'mean spirited'...nor unkind.. i admit, i've had a smart assed tone at times during this discussion, but i suppose i am more irritated than anything else. the point of a layer battle is to try and out-do the person who posts before you. to try and wow the audience and other competitors with your photoshop skills. your ability to use the program... i apologize if my irritation has hurt your feelings. but quite honestly.. when it says "there is no sharing of psd's" in the rules... it's more about each person creating their own artwork using their own images. not butchering other peoples entries and calling it a 'submission'. yes, you created a map.. using my entry and a vintage map.. but did you really? how much effort went into what you posted? not a lot.. and i say that as someone whose utilized photoshop, traditional art methods, et c for the last 15+ years. i can see what you've done without looking at a psd... and it's not much. here i am spending 8 hours looking for good quality stock... creating imagery out of pieces of images... and here you are taking twenty minutes to throw together something using my hard work as a base.

sorry, but that irritates me.
You are crazy girl. I did NOT use your hard work for anything. I took the image of the girl and used its positive and negative as a base for a map. Nothing whatsoever of your hard work was used in my submission.

FTR, there is much more creative effort in my submissions than in yours. None of your submissions are anything more than putting makeup on somebody Else's work. My dear, using "stock" images IS borrowing, and if you choose to borrow for a layer battle, well that is fine with me. After all this is NOT an art contest in the true sense. However I would suggest to you that merely putting makeup on a borrowed image is NOT that creative at all. However, if you use borrowed images as texture to create something else that is unique, then you will have a legitimate claim. otherwise you are only tweaking other peoples work.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
i'm not going to argue what digital art is with you.. it's simply a waste of my time to try and explain.
i can.. have.. and am doing more to these "borrowed images".. then you are, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that.

if you didn't use my submission... then what the fuck is this?

Vikingmatest.png

i'm done with this battle.
sincerely, you lack the necessary skills to challenge me artistically.
i'll move on to someone that can.

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
y'alls need to let your skills do the talking. everyone knows that arguing over the internet is a giant waste of time. plus both of you will be put to shame when i get around to my submission, tonight.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
y'alls need to let your skills do the talking. everyone knows that arguing over the internet is a giant waste of time. plus both of you will be put to shame when i get around to my submission, tonight.

seeeeeee....
this is competition....i'll keep playing.. i cannot wait to see what you make! :)

mapguy

Awesome Player
Sorry ghosty, I believe that you are a rude person that has no respect for your seniors. By seniors I mean as in both age, and talent. I joined this because I thought that it would be fun. I thought that this would be a friendly endeavor. But you have resorted to insults, and outright disrespect. FTR, I will have you know that I was teaching art before you were born, and your condescending words are very hurtful to me. What in the world did I ever do to you ?

Last edited:

mapguy

Awesome Player

I have only had kind words for your ghosty. The furthest thing from my mind is the search for a belligerent fight with anyone.

ghost

Chief Ambassador
Awesome Player
Sorry ghosty, I believe that you are a rude person that has no respect for your seniors. By seniors I mean as in both age, and talent. I joined this because I thought that it would be fun. I thought that this would be a friendly endeavor. But you have resorted to insults, and outright disrespect. FTR, I will have you know that I was teaching art before you were born, and your condescending words are very hurtful to me. What in the world did I ever do to you ?

i don't care if you're 20 or 90... and i don't care if you've painted the kings castle, or taught art for 40 years.. your digital art skills are lacking. period.

and "FTR" i am not a rude person mapguy.. i'm simply a bitch.
come now, you can't tell me you've NOT encountered one of my breed in all your years?

Badorties

Boss General (Retired on a Desert Island)
O.G.
Awesome Player
Gentlemen of Leisure
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
The Wiki Bar
viking battle
zHg25.jpg

steam punk viking apocalypse
06Fi1.jpg