• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Peloponnesian War Map

champig

Awesome Player
The Borg
yeah just saw the last version of your map and it definitely looks awesome ! keep up the good work, you made me salivate :)

OneEyed

Awesome Player
time ago there was posted that new maps will be not allowed to the time when some technical things will be solved.
how it looks now with site and making new maps?
is it now clear about game mechanics, bonuses and what is possible to create on map?

OneEyed

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
New maps ARE possible and in fact, being worked on. But we need Shep or one of the other cartographers to jump into this thread and give you directions as to what the next steps are.

ndrm31

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
Fixed Force Club
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
League of Gentlepeople
T.O's.
The map look awesome for me, gret work OneEyed, what I dont understan is:

a) a similar map, even with the same name already exist in another site (cc), for the records, yours looks better

b) Being here since 2014 u only played 11 games, that makes me doubt if this is a second account of yours or whats the meaning on pourpouse a map since you dont seem to be play

I feel that I need to be clear, im very thankfull for your work on the map and I wish to play it now :)

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
wow, my apologies... I posted here a year ago, but it turns out I botched it and posted a hidden post. (Who knew I could even do that?) Anyway, here's what I wrote way back when, and it holds true today.

As for game mechanics, here's the thing. Right now our game engine is fairly limited. Some of the things called for on this map we can do, some we can't. For example, we currently can't have a -1 for holding three regions without their capital, and I don't see any way to code an "enemy league" - though I may be reading this wrong. There's a conditional auto-decay in Africa, but I believe there's something wonky about it. And our code for a victory condition, which was supposed to be a part of the middle east map, never worked right.

That said, the plan for the current recode is to make the game engine more dynamic and add rules. It's still months (so far as i know) away from completion, and we don't intend to complete any maps before the game engine is fixed, so I'd say if there's something that would make for a bad-ass map go ahead and plan it up. When it comes time to writing new rules, if there's a need for a victory condition rule (there is) or a rule that marks certain territory as a player's enemy territory, we can make it a part of the site.

To sum up, since we're re-writing the rules anyway nobody should feel confined by the current rules. Be creative.

LordAdef

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Nice man!

For some reason I quite feel I like your first design a tad more. But both are really interesting.

I suggest you don't go too crazy and start with simple rules first and have a solid base. You can always add things on top of it and be sure the Majcomers will go wild with suggestions

OneEyed

Awesome Player
to ndrm31,
I was active some years on CC. I made some drafts there and played games. the reason why I played here only 11 games is that I like no spoils games and trench games, unfortunately these settings are not on MC.
about map similar map on CC, it has almost nothing to do with historic accuracy about that war (no offence against qwert, I know him and he is good mapmaker). so I tried to do more accurate map.

to Shepherd,
I think there is no problem to make map a little simpler.
sorry my English, but I can not understand exactly you - so situation now is almost the same as year ago? no new game mechanics and rules for map making?
how it exactly work on MC? need I do the whole map on 100% or just draft with idea and cartographers will pick up it and finish?
is there any interest for more new maps?

to LordAdef,
the first look was my draft for CC, but I leave CC. the second look I tried to make closer to MC standards.
well on CC was so many maps that there was call for something different with complex gameplay. as I wrote map could be done more simple.

thanks for nice words, guys.

OneEyed

LordAdef

Awesome Player
Assassins Guild
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Hi Oneeyed, don't worry. Both designs are very good indeed. I wish I had this gift.

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
about map similar map on CC, it has almost nothing to do with historic accuracy about that war (no offence against qwert, I know him and he is good mapmaker)
That's OK, you can offend qwert if you want to. I have. :)

so situation now is almost the same as year ago? no new game mechanics and rules for map making?
The situation has not changed much in the past year. MC needs to be re-coded, and before that is completed there will be no new rules. The good news is that since we are in the middle of the re-code, now is a good time to propose new rules. If your map requires a new rule, perhaps we can make the rule a part of the update.

how it exactly work on MC? need I do the whole map on 100% or just draft with idea and cartographers will pick up it and finish?
The model at MC is that of you come up with a workable map that will play well and has support, the mapmakers will complete the final image and do all of the admin/set-up work.

is there any interest for more new maps?
Yes, but since we are awaiting the re-code, we are not pushing new map development as much as we used to. We know that everything will change, including how maps are handled by the game engine, so anything we create now may need to be reworked in a few months.

DeadGirl

Awesome Player
The map looks gorgeous and is a really interesting twist on some of the maps/concepts we already have going on. I won't try to comment on the viability of the game mechanics because I know nothing about the coding here. But A+ from this bystander.

...I also agree with Adef that I like the look of the first draft more. (Mostly the colouring.)

OneEyed

Awesome Player
That's OK, you can offend qwert if you want to. I have. :)

he is realy fine guy :)
The situation has not changed much in the past year. MC needs to be re-coded, and before that is completed there will be no new rules. The good news is that since we are in the middle of the re-code, now is a good time to propose new rules. If your map requires a new rule, perhaps we can make the rule a part of the update.

what exactly means recoding? if it is not secret :).
MC has the biggest potential become the best Risk site, but there are several things need to be solved.
do you think about some new game settings? fog of war, no spoils, trench warfare? or settings will be as they are?
myabe I look badm but I did not find any topic about this, what community wants.
The model at MC is that of you come up with a workable map that will play well and has support, the mapmakers will complete the final image and do all of the admin/set-up work.

so I do not need to go "deep" in design? just make draft and gameplay?
Yes, but since we are awaiting the re-code, we are not pushing new map development as much as we used to. We know that everything will change, including how maps are handled by the game engine, so anything we create now may need to be reworked in a few months.

understand.
maybe there could be any topic where could be possible discuss about this? again what community wants?
as I said I was longer time active on CC. I saw how there worked some things, some of them I liked but more I did not.
I think it is better to have clear now, when site is under recoding what kind of bonuses, negative bonsues, deploys, autodeploys and so on you can have and code them now as you will finish recoding and then you will need some more upgrades and so on.

just my five cents here to help.

OneEyed

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I still need to spend more time looking closely at the map, but I want to give you some quick responses to your questions and concerns.

what exactly means recoding? if it is not secret :).
MC has had problems implementing new rules because of the way that the site was originally developed. It was determined that we could not just go along adding patches to the code - we needed to start from scratch (here's an explanation of the process, by the previous manager of the site.) This process is currently underway.

myabe I look badm but I did not find any topic about this, what community wants.
Here is a thread asking for suggestions. And here is an entire forum asking for suggestions. The latter has over 5,000 posts. As a result of both, we have a really, really long list of what people would like to see. We also have a really long list of what the map developers would like to see. The game features you mentioned are on lists.

OneEyed

Awesome Player
thanks Shephered. looks that there is a lot of work abour recoding. good luck with this.
to this map, to be candid I am not able to make gameplay as I want. also MC deserves more original map as is on another site :hmmmm2:?
I started work on new map from time period and also area which is not on MC yet.

OneEyed

OneEyed

Awesome Player
I think I can continue on this map. maybe with different story. but I need to know some game mechanics.
so I would like to know if:
- it is possible conditional autodecay or conditional decay? (I mean region X lose any troops if region Y is held (or not held), and the same player will have -1 to deploy for region X if region Y is held (or not held).
- the next thing, is possibleto have conditional borders? (I mean player must hold X, Y to attack Z).

OneEyed