• Scoreboard and Points Live. Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Norden

Shepherd

Studio Production Manager
CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
This would be a map of the Nordic Counties - Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland, and the associated islands.

It's not a large map, it's not a complex map, and it doesn't have any whistles and bells. The justification for making a smallish, straightforward map is that the majority of active games at this site right now are two-four players on the classic maps. Plus, now that real-time games seem to be working more smoothly than in the past, smaller maps make for better RT games in my opinion.

The present layout has 37 regions, 8 commands, and three small bonuses you can tack on to commands you already hold.

The map doesn't look like much at the moment, but I already know where its going to go visually - I just need to commit some time to making it happen. So yes, the sea routes and the mountains the colors look awful - everything is just there to start the conversation. I'd rather not spend hours on the visuals until I know we have something.

For now I'd appreciate any feedback, especially concerning the regions divisions - I don't know the region myself, and I'm just using existing political borders between regions of the countries. Also, if any the sea routes look impossible or ridiculous please let me know.

YkcMBEY.jpg

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I like it... what do you think of adding a sea route from Iceland to the continent, maybe to that southernmost tert in Norway that already has sea routes connected, from the Iceland tert that has the sea route to the Faroes. Wouldn't make any additional terts needing to be defended but adds another line of attack. Either that or a route to northern Norway?

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I like it... what do you think of adding a sea route from Iceland to the continent, maybe to that southernmost tert in Norway that already has sea routes connected, from the Iceland tert that has the sea route to the Faroes.
That's what i'd originally planned, but in looking at maps the Faroes are right smack in the middle, so it seems kind of funny to have a route that bypasses it. But if it makes the gameplay better, I'd capitulate.

radar-map-europe_1616740i.jpg

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I realize it's hard to talk about a map without region names. Also stuck the additional sea route in for kicks.

7Vfgrt2.jpg

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
Would a route between Gavleborg and Varsinais be logical? And the west "lands" seems way too easy to take!

The bonuses seem complicated, but with proper colour coordination I could see it being playable!

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Would a route between Gavleborg and Varsinais be logical? And the west "lands" seems way too easy to take!
Hmm, I can see the value of a third region for Finland to defend, but going from Gavleborg means there is no place to hide in Sweden. I think I'd go Uppland to Varsinals.

The bonuses seem complicated, but with proper colour coordination I could see it being playable!
I'll have that covered. This is messy because its an early draft.

Cardinalsrule

Administrator
Staff member
CentCom
Awesome Player
Whiner & CryBaby
Fixed Force Club
AADOMM
Assassins Guild
Enemies of Diplomacy
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
Maybe Iceland to Nordland sea route would be better than the one I originally talked about.

OneEyed

Awesome Player
I like the idea about simple small map. but because there is no spice (special features or story) maybe any special look could helps.
I much more like this your map, Shepherd, it looks realy good and also solve problem how to add Iceland and Greenland nicely.
5e80a3365077a0e9d147905b34d0a822.png

maybe there could be a little more regions, maybe Sweden could be divided on 3 commands, Finland on 2 commands and Norway to 2 commands. just maybe.

OneEyed

and Nordic Countries sounds better as Norden.

Last edited:

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
I agree that the satellite view that I played with years ago solved some problems, but it was also clumsy in other ways. I think I can make this look good and play well as a flat map.

As for adding regions, it's an option I've considered. But there's an elegance to not splitting up countries - I'm already not wild about splitting up Sweden. Bringing the total up to 40 would make for a nice round number, and there are a lot of 4 player games. That could be done by plumping up commands, splitting a command, or adding sea regions that connect the ports - also not my favorite option.

thenoahw

Awesome Player
I like the map you have currently, I favour the first draft though. That's because I think the first sea routes were more accurate and simpler. I like the idea of having another simple map on here

Sebrim

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Wiki Bar
Hi there! I like the idea! Knowing the region quite well (I spent almost half of my life in Norway), I can say that 'Norden' is the correct name. It sounds strnage in English, but it is the way the locals call the region.

I have a couple of comments:

a) The sea route to the Faroes from Norway should start in Fjordland (Bergen), not Rogaland.

b) btw, Rogaland is just the Westernmost quarter of the region currently called so. A more accurate name would be 'Sørlandet'

c) similarly, Varsinais-Suomi is just the southernmost quarter of the region currently called so. Better would be 'Länsi-Suomi'

d) if there should be a sea connection between Sweden and Finland, it would be between Västerbotten and Länsi-Suomi

e) The sea connection between Svalbard and Greenland is rather unrealistic, but if it's needed for strategy, then so be it. A connection from Nordland directly to Greenland would be more correct, since Svalbard actually is far more to the North than can be shown in the map.

f) The Finnish region Pohjois-Pohjanmaa is only the Northern half of what's currently called so. Correct would be Oulu.

g) Savo is just a part of the region called so. Correct would be Itä-Suomi

h) Uusimaa is just a part of the region currently called so. Correct would be 'Etelä-Suomi'

i) The region called Oslo should be called Oslofjorden

j) The region called Oppland should be called Østlandet

k) The region called Smäland must be Småland. The same with Skane = Skåne, Trondelag = Trøndelag and Aland = Åland. If these letters do not exist in your font, then so be it, but it looks more correct. In Iceland, Sudhurland and Nordhurland should be [FONT=&quot]'Suðurland' and 'Nor[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ðurland'[/FONT]

l) The sea routes to Greenland would naturally arrive in Kujalleq, rather than Semersooq, but that might interfere with the map's balance?

I would love to see this map on Majorcommand! :)

Oggyyy

Awesome Player
The Borg
Hi there! I like the idea! Knowing the region quite well (I spent almost half of my life in Norway), I can say that 'Norden' is the correct name. It sounds strnage in English, but it is the way the locals call the region.

I have a couple of comments:

a) The sea route to the Faroes from Norway should start in Fjordland (Bergen), not Rogaland.

b) btw, Rogaland is just the Westernmost quarter of the region currently called so. A more accurate name would be 'Sørlandet'

c) similarly, Varsinais-Suomi is just the southernmost quarter of the region currently called so. Better would be 'Länsi-Suomi'

d) if there should be a sea connection between Sweden and Finland, it would be between Västerbotten and Länsi-Suomi

e) The sea connection between Svalbard and Greenland is rather unrealistic, but if it's needed for strategy, then so be it. A connection from Nordland directly to Greenland would be more correct, since Svalbard actually is far more to the North than can be shown in the map.

f) The Finnish region Pohjois-Pohjanmaa is only the Northern half of what's currently called so. Correct would be Oulu.

g) Savo is just a part of the region called so. Correct would be Itä-Suomi

h) Uusimaa is just a part of the region currently called so. Correct would be 'Etelä-Suomi'

i) The region called Oslo should be called Oslofjorden

j) The region called Oppland should be called Østlandet

k) The region called Smäland must be Småland. The same with Skane = Skåne, Trondelag = Trøndelag and Aland = Åland. If these letters do not exist in your font, then so be it, but it looks more correct. In Iceland, Sudhurland and Nordhurland should be [FONT=&quot]'Suðurland' and 'Nor[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ðurland'[/FONT]

l) The sea routes to Greenland would naturally arrive in Kujalleq, rather than Semersooq, but that might interfere with the map's balance?

I would love to see this map on Majorcommand! :)

Now that is some excellent feedback - nice one Sebrim!

Shepherd

CentCom
O.G.
Awesome Player
AADOMM
M.C. Play Testers
Thanks, Sebrim, I'll get on this.

The non-English letters won't be a problem for the visuals on the map, but they often give problems to the server as region names. What that means is that the map will show Østlandet, but the game brief will call it Ostlandet.