• Points are back! Read about it HERE

current issues

1 - NEW PLAYERS - Players who created an account on or after Oct 15 2023 are not able to log into the forum
    2 - AWOL - We do not have an AWOL button under the ACTIVE tab yet. Please check each game to see if you are AWOL.
    3 - STUCK GAMES - Some games will not load properly. If you encounter this, please post stuck games HERE

Thanks.

• Welcome to Major Command's RISK Game forum.

If you are a registered player, please log in:

If you are new to Major Command and would like to
    play our RISK game online. Then please sign up here:

Most important tactic

Redstorm

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
I keep a "training" scrapbook that I share with honorable noobs (or just about anybody who's interested LOL). Would you care to share your knowledge and expertise? thanks

Be it map specific or just overall, what tactics do u consider the most important?

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
I don't always play it, but to get all zen about it I think patience is incredibly important!

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
General tips.
Don't over roll the dice. Know the odds. When people roll too much, it is not the game that is not the game's fault but yours.
Far East Asia: Dont forget about the mini commands within larger ones.
Team Play: Read chat and communicate with partners.

Tactics:
Nukes, Mars, Cold War. Know the plus 1 and auto deploys. Sometimes better going for the bonus than attacking enemy.
Team Play: Passing is awesome. Pass to the next team mate. Preferably from some place behind the lines to the front lines. If you don't pass, you will lose 90% of the games against those who do.

TormentaBANNED

Awesome Player
For Escalate in small maps or bigger maps with more than 4-5 players:

-Don't get obsessed with the commands, they are secondary in comparison with the cards. If they are difficult to take, don't take them.

-Don't get involved in big battles. Attack territories with few troops until you can try to eliminate someone.

-Don't isolate enemies. If one player is in 2 areas, don't take him/her out of one because other players will be able to eliminate him more easily.

-Don't isolate yourself. Keep yourself in at least 2 areas of the map, making it possible for you to eliminate any player and not be eliminated. If you can't, try to be near the center.

-Don't use your set before time. Only when you can take somebody out, or if you are in danger. Better when the reserves arrive to 10-12 at least.

-Eliminate players whose cards allow combo. If you have 3 cards, eliminate somebody with 5. With 4: 4 or 5. With 3: 5. If you don't get the combo, you're possibly dead.

-Don't sign truces.

Redstorm

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
great. keep em coming. tks

sundicekid

Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
The Canadian Club
Don't make verbal agreements not to attack, it will come back to bite you in the ass - especially if it's a generic 'peace'. If the game changes and you do attack because it's the right course of action at this later time, then the other person feels betrayed. Official Diplo Truces are best, there's no confusion, no BS.

masterjskye

Level ∞: Shadow Master
CentCom
Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Don't roll when you're in a bad mood. The Dice Gods can sense it.

Geoffrey

Awesome Player
Generals
Don't make verbal agreements not to attack, it will come back to bite you in the ass - especially if it's a generic 'peace'. If the game changes and you do attack because it's the right course of action at this later time, then the other person feels betrayed. Official Diplo Truces are best, there's no confusion, no BS.
If I trust the person I like to make deals where we just dont backstab each other and at least 1 round warning before any backstabbing. For lots of borders or when youre focusing elsewhere this can stop little unnecessary wars!

Bluebonnet

Awesome Player
Enemies of Diplomacy
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
another one for 12 domains.
never blitz from castle against a neutral 2. only attack.

for some reason if you blitz, it will keep attacking even if you bring it down to 1. it will keep rolling the 1 if you blitz, thus allowing you to lose more.

if you attack, you can stop yourself from losing extra.

i haven't seen this happen if you are attacking non neutral (enemy), but it may. i would have to look closely next time i bombard

the reason to bombard neutrals from castle. sometime i want to lower them to a 1 cause i have a stack on the castle as well as armies on a seperate territory next to the neutral i want to grab.

Tyro

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
Pick the right partners in team games, especially tournaments. (The latter, of course, isn't possible. Yet)

JCUK

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Generals
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
Don't roll when you're in a bad mood. The Dice Gods can sense it.

I agree with this one, they can definitely sense it, bad roll, bad mood, another bad roll, worse mood, bad roll.....computer at the window.

Dice laughing at you.

5battalions

Awesome Player
Fixed Force Club
Enemies of Diplomacy
Los Bambinos
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
eat the pie in small slices...

a good overview of the map is very important, takes time to figure out all the contingencies-what might go wrong, think over troop placements - to go for an objective etc... and not be too greedy.
Synthetising some stuff that i've read and some experience at battlefield.

Update:
if u feel like the contingency plan is far ahead of what you are trying to achieve, go ahead.

Last edited:

Tapeworm

Awesome Player
Cosa Nostra
M.C. Play Testers
The Wiki Bar
T.O's.
I have a whole bunch of these on my profile front line, back from my first few months here as I was learning.

Redstorm

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
Knights of MC Realm
M.C. Play Testers
The Embassy
T.O's.
Kickstarter
yeah. incorporated those into my scrapbook and credited u with the assist. tks again.

rperry96

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
M.C. Play Testers
In flat rate, don't be afraid to go a round without taking a tert. The card simply isn't worth as much.

F15FreeEagle

Awesome Player
The 'B' Squad
M.C. Clan Council
M.C. Play Testers
The Borg
T.O's.
I agree with this one, they can definitely sense it, bad roll, bad mood, another bad roll, worse mood, bad roll.....computer at the window.

Dice laughing at you.

Well this would explain a lot of stuff around my house... :hahaha:

SubwayatNight

Awesome Player
Generals
Knights of MC Realm
The Duellers Society
Here are a few 1v1 strategies I've found helpful:

1. It's probably good to avoid attacking neutrals in general, but I think especially in 1v1 games. Keep this in mind when deciding where you might be able to acquire a territory.

2. I also think it's important to prevent the opponent from getting any kind of troop bonus, not only for acquiring a territory, but also for obtaining a particular region count. I always pay attention to how many regions my opponent has. E.g., if my opponent has 13 regions, I try taking two if it doesn't spread me too thin, which eliminates the extra troop bonus for having 12 regions. It's also important to know the higher region bonus counts as well, especially if you're playing on a medium or large map.

3. As we all know from masterjskye's 1v1 data, going first is the most important strategy. I just haven't figured out how to consistently do that yet.

namelochil

Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
If I trust the person I like to make deals where we just dont backstab each other and at least 1 round warning before any backstabbing.

How do you warn someone you're going to backstab her? And if you do, is it really still a backstab? Isn't a backstab literally an attack without warning? This is very interesting to me.

Last edited:

namelochil

Awesome Player
Generals
League of Shadows
M.C. Play Testers
The Duellers Society
Yes. I see now.